Blinking Leds

wandererrob

I was kicking an idea around for a night cache that would make use of blinking LEDs.

My question is, where might one either get some or at least find plans to make some?

Long battery life would be important, which I kow is possible. My Pink Floyd - Pulse LED lasts about 3.5 years on 2 AA's. I'd be happy being able to duplicate that unit if I could. But for my purposes, the smaller the LED the better :D

Edited by wandererrob
Not sure where to look, but quite a few promotional items coming through our offices have them.  You might look into promotional item catalogues.  Just a thought.  How would you avoid the muggles noticing?

That's part of why I'd want small bulbs, preferably on a wire lead. Camo the battery pack then run the light a little further away. Also by using small, relatively dim LEDs my hope is that they'd go unnoticed in the daytime. Of course this would include careful placement :D

Edited by wandererrob

LED wiring is very simple. You can even buy blinking LEDs that will suit your purpose. If you cannot solder, check with your local high school and see whether the electronics class can do it for you if you buy the parts.

Here is a decent tutorial of LED circuits.

http://unclean.org/howto/led_circuit.html

I would power the LED from a 9 volt battery. The battery connector clip as well as all of your LED parts (Blinking low intensity LED, resistor, solder, heat shrink tubing) will be available at Radio Shack.

Hope that helps.

Cheers!

I was kicking an idea around for a night cache that would make use of blinking LEDs.

My question is, where might one either get some or at least find plans to make some?

Long battery life would be important, which I kow is possible. My Pink Floyd - Pulse LED lasts about 3.5 years on 2 AA's. I'd be happy being able to duplicate that unit if I could. But for my purposes, the smaller the LED the better :D

Like 4hounds said. Radio shack is the way to go. Most LEDs need a resistor inline with them, but some are designed with a resistor built in so they can be run directly off of batteries. Some are designed to blink by themselves. You want to get the one with the absolute least current draw, usually rated in milliamps, (mA). I have a tiny LED flashlight that never shuts off completely. It always glows just a little so you can always find it in the dark. It runs on one 9V battery and can stay glowing like that for 6 years. I am sure you can find what you are looking for.

Wouldn't it be easier, more discrete, and cheaper to get fire tacks instead?

http://www.firetacks.com/

it would, but I had an idea that I think would be a fun change of pace. Though it may involve firetacks too, it's still in the very early stages.

Here are the blinking modules that I bought from Radioshack.

Bright-Red Blinking LED Modules

Model: 276-299 | Catalog #: 276-299

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...rentPage=search

Do they make these in other colors, preferably green? I was looking at them earlier today and they came closest to what I want in ready-made form.

Edited by wandererrob
Come place your cache here in my area. We only have one night only cache here that I know of. Everybody seems to love it.  I'm trying to figure out a place that I could put one so folks would have another to do but I haven't come up with a place yet.

i'm in the same boat. Only 1 night cache within reasonable distance of me and the rest of my area is pretty loaded with caches.

Getting the idea together is one thing, finding a place to implement it will prove interesting.

I'm full of cache ideas lately, but short on locations :D I really want to get some out there though.

Edited by wandererrob
Do they make these in other colors, preferably green? I was looking at them earlier today and they came closest to what I want in ready-made form.

Just Red.

There is a potential downside to blinking LEDs that I discovered with my pet project, you can easily see the blinking lights from over 500 feet away. Trying to find a location that is good for cachers, but not a "beacon" for muggles can be quite a challenge.

Just Red.

There is a potential downside to blinking LEDs that I discovered with my pet project, you can easily see the blinking lights from over 500 feet away. Trying to find a location that is good for cachers, but not a "beacon" for muggles can be quite a challenge.

That can easily be minimized by putting it inside a tube painted flat-black inside. If you're not standing in just the right spot, you'll never see it.

A small piece of a "privacy" computer screen filter also works.

Edited by Prime Suspect

Just Red.

That can easily be minimized by putting it inside a tube painted flat-black inside. If you're not standing in just the right spot, you'll never see it.

A small piece of a "privacy" computer screen filter also works.

As a single blinker, this would work great, but for my Great Horned Owl project, it presents a problem. I suppose I could give my owl "PVC glasses."

We have one LED cache in my area that was hidden by Yellow Jacket. I have much respect for him with his method to our madness. Finding his caches have always been a learning lesson. I won't give away his very creative hide but maybe if you dropped him a line he could give you some insight. But one thing for sure is that Yellow Jacket ROCKS!!!

We had a night event cache a while back and I JB Welded several of those onto a black ammo box and called it "Black Box Recovery." Everyone seemed to enjoy it.

Besides, with it blinking like that I didn't have to worry about the coordinates being too accurate. :D

Bret

:mad: Thanks Geo-Deputy for pointing out my cache in Virginia. It is called "Find F.R.E.D. #2 at the Virginia Creeper Trail" GCQ4MJ. The original F.R.E.D. is on Stone Mountain. "Find F.R.E.D. on Stone Mountain" GCJ9XT. This one has been a GREAT on for the Georgia Geocachers.

The original "AA" battery lasted about 18 months. I tested the device for about 8 months in my backyard. Yes, you can see it for at least 500 feet in the correct area. Finding the correct spot and getting it approved is the difficult part.

My unit will last in all types of weather, rain, ice, snow and very hot. Yes, I also used firetacks as a decoy. :laughing:

Come place your cache here in my area. We only have one night only cache here that I know of. Everybody seems to love it. I'm trying to figure out a place that I could put one so folks would have another to do but I haven't come up with a place yet.

That's funny Thrak, Watch for one in the next week up in Magalia. I just finished putting it together and will be sending to the reviewers this weekend. :laughing:

Depending on the timing of the flash sequence, I suspect that somewhere there are going to be some very frustrated fireflies next summer! Sounds like an intersting idea.

I wouldn't know what you are talking about :tired:

>insert devious laugh here<

Maybe a combo will work here. We have a night only cache in our area using the fire tacks. Why not use a fire tack as the entry point into the woods. It would not draw any attention even at night. And then when you go to the fire tack have an LED trail that could only be seen from that position?

Thanks for the ideas!

My first light would be well inott he woods for sure. The coords provided would get you to the trailhead, but I like the firetack idea to get them to point A on their trip. I've been trying to decide how to best get them into the woods where the lights would be. That might work :tired:

Have you thought of using UV led's?  You dont have to have night vision, you can also use a digital camera wich more people already own.  Then you wouldn't have to worry about any muggles seeing them.

This is exactly what I have been wanting to set up, but I just noticed a problem, my camera doesnt have a NightShot Mode....

Is there any way to make an IR Diode flash??? None of them seam to come ready to flash.

Edited by wildearth2001

My first thought when I hid my first night cache was to also use a blinking LED. I was going to set it up to only blink at night. n the suggestion of another cacher (Forman) I use fire tacks. They are a lot easier to use, might second night cache also uses Fire Tacks. They are a lot easier, but I have not given up on the idea of a blinking LED. Maybe as the final part of a cache that uses Fire Tacks to lead the way to the blinker. This way the blinker would be safe from muggles.

This is exactly what I have been wanting to set up, but I just noticed a problem, my camera doesnt have a NightShot Mode....

Mine doesn't either, but it should still work. Take your camera and your remote in the closet with you and opint the remote at your lens while pushing any button. Granted, the ones in a remote arent as bright as the ones you would use on the trail, but it should still show up as a bluish white light on your display.

Edited by TeamGuisinger

Mine doesn't either, but it should still work. Take your camera and your remote in the closet with you and opint the remote at your lens while pushing any button. Granted, the ones in a remote arent as bright as the ones you would use on the trail, but it should still show up as a bluish white light on your display.

Cool, I just tried it and it worked perfectly (I didnt even have to go in the closet, it worked right here next to my computer). Thanks for pointing that out.

I still need to figure out how to make the IR diodes flash.

Also what would be the best batter type to use, AA or 9v and how many??

army surplus stores sell surplus rescue beacons in IR. They are hand held and strobe every 2 seconds. Coupled with a light sensor the battery would last a considerable amount of time and the whole system is prebuilt...no messing around with electronics other than hooking in light sensor and maybe SCR for switching. Military pilots and aircrew carry them every day

Canningclam-I will look at the strobes but I like the idea of making it myself-get more satisfaction that way.

I also like the idea that got brought up somewhere about using IR Diodes to make an IR Flashlight to use as a cheap night vision inconjuction with a camera in night shot mode. While I am messing around with making the required LED setup for a cache I might set the flashlight up as well. But how many IR Diodes should I use in the light?

As for the cache I have been doing my reading and I think I will use:

1 (or two wired in parralell) 9v battery

2-3 IR diodes (from radioshack) in series

and the required resistor(s)

I am thinking of using somekind of jar to put the thing in to keep it safe from water and I can just paint the jar on all sides except the side in the direction I want the IR light emmitted. I can place the jar on top of the cache. And use firetacks to bring the cachers to the right place to see the light from where they park.

What guage/type of wire should I use? and my other flashing question still remains but i'm wondering if I could just have them steady and make the IR diodes form a pattern (say a triangle) which would make it stand out.

What do you think??

Edited by wildearth2001

To make the IR Diode flash .... you need a serires resitor to a capacitor. The series resistor slows the current to the capacitor ..... which when charged up ... discharges to flash the IR diode. I once made a "blinking box" using this method with a 60 volt rayovac battery (4"X4"X1"). It blinked 4 LEDs for almost 6 years. :) ImpalaBob

To make the IR Diode flash .... you need a serires resitor to a capacitor.  The series resistor slows the current to the capacitor ..... which when charged up ...  discharges to flash the IR diode.  I once made a "blinking box" using this method with a 60 volt rayovac battery (4"X4"X1").  It blinked 4 LEDs for almost 6 years.  :) ImpalaBob

What size/type capacitor do I need to use?

I plan to use 2x9v batteries in parallel and 3xIR diodes (1.28v, 20mA) in series which (by my calulations would have required a 1/4watt 170 ohm resistor.

BTW sorry canningclan

Edited by wildearth2001

wow, I dont understand that diagram at all...anyone care to explain??

also how much worse will battery life be if they are flashing compared to steady??

what would be the easiest way to make the little circut only run at night?

thanks

here's a really simple setup I found. This site claims a 6 month lifespan off of 1 AA battery.

LED Flasher

Problem is the LM3909 IC isn't made anymore so finding one might be tough. How to make it night-only, I haven't figured out just yet though. But I doubt anybody will notice an LED in the woods in daylight anyway.

Edited by wandererrob

Take your camera and your remote in the closet with you and opint the remote at your lens while pushing any button. Granted, the ones in a remote arent as bright as the ones you would use on the trail, but it should still show up as a bluish white light on your display.

Tried this and it works in my office, but we took it out to the field and you need to be pretty darn close for the light to be displayed on the screen. I even have some high output IR flashers for use in control systems and as optical isolators and none of them are bright enough for my camera to see if there are more than about 8' away.

However I have now had the self blinking LED from Radio Shack running in my lab for several weeks now on 2 AA batteries at 3V and that is looking pretty promising. No circuitry, low current drain and simple to hook up. It puts out quite a bit of light even with a dropping resistor in series with it. Now I am working on a housing for it. I have not decided whether to try and put the batteries in the same housing or run a very thin wire and hide the battery module to make the LED less conspicuous.