Magellen Meridian Opinions

I am looking at purchasing a Meridian Color since it has the SD card capability and is far less expensive then the anticipated Garmin X series units. Does anyone have any experience with the Meridian so I know of its dependability?

(I tried to find a thread on this, but got tired of it after the 10th page, and the search feature is currently down. Sorry if this is a repost.)

Edited by CowlesCachers

Try to google for "Meridian Color site:forums.Groundspeak.com" :D

I have the Meridian Color for almost a year and I am very confident with it. I think it is a versatile tool, you can upload the direct-route software for routing and a Topo map for the mountains. The options with the SD card are great :D. I am only missing an electronic compass...

I loved my Magellan Meridian Gold so much that when it came to buy another one I bought the very same thing. I've used it in the rain and dropped it while hiking a few times. The SD card is extremely important to me. I can put huge topo maps on it, and slice and dice my waypoint files (e.g., one for just micros, one just for regulars). I can also store a lot of tracks and can use them as trail maps.

Another point in favor of the Meridians over the Explorists is the Projected Waypoint issue. This is needed for some puzzle caches and letterbox hypbrids (E.g., find the benchmark and the cache is 150 feet away at 97°).

I also like the sensitivity of the Helix versus Patch antenna.

The downside is its size compared to the Explorist. But I have big hands and it's not an issue with me. Besides, a bigger GPS means a bigger screen, which is a bonus to me.

After using a gold for over three years , and comparing it with the explorist 5/600

The only real advantage I can see in the meridian is the size of the screen other then that I think the explorist models beats the meridian hands down.

And the antenna seems to be better then the gold also, after comparing the 2 units side by side on many cache hunts..

Also tthe 5/600 can project waypoints with the new firmware installeed

Edited by vagabond

Most meridian owners are very satisfied wih their "units" I started with a meri plat, and have since purchased an eXplorist 600. I still use the platinum on every caching trip though, it has become my main in-car navigation aid. I like the rocker input on the plat versus the whole click stick thing on the eXplorist line.

don't have any experience on the color vs. gold. vs. platinum. Not sure how well the color screen looks while in use..

Most people prefer the color versus B&W screen. But there is a minority, of which I'm one, that prefer the B&W screen. It's hard (for me) to read the color screens in bright sunlight. The other, less subjective, benefits of B&W is a dramatic cost savings, and slightly better battery life.

The same can be said about an electronic compass: they speed battery drain. For $6 I got a nice Silva Guide compass. It's great to have one for emergencies, anyway. And on days with sun, the NorthFinder of the Gold works great for getting you going in the right direction. The last 30 feet neither is going to be as useful as your eyes and brain.

The one thing I did wish I had was a barometric altimeter since GPS-based altitudes are notoriously inaccurate. It's more important to TerraCachers than Geocachers (or the curious). But the price difference and battery drain just didn't make the price point for me.

I have the Gold. I have heard mention about 45 times in these forums that the color version is not very 'viewable' on bright sunny days. Also there has been some negative opinion of the size of the units, that they are "huge and bulky" though I find that no problem whatsoever and think that it is an overblown opinion. The SD card capability is supurb and the units are also auto-routing capable. I have a few geocaching associates who are amazed at the Gold's ability to recieve strong signals in tree cover and in commercial aircraft. My Gold will maintain satellite lock in commercial aircraft while resting on the folddown tray of my window seat, pretty cool. A battery drain down test that I performed a few months ago using rechargable 2500's gave 14 hours of operation.

As far as I as I am aware, the color screen is the only difference between the Gold and the Color units.

If you want to be loved, pay the extra for a Garmin.

Edited by Team Cotati

Agree with Kerstin76, I like my Color and feel comfortable with it *once you recognize one very important issue,* over-run. Because of the refresh technology used you can easily "walk too fast" and pass GZ on average 20' or so. Thus, set an alarm to beep at 100' then !slow down! and all works much better.

ZS

Yep, the "Slingshot Effect" can happen on all Meridian and SportTrak models (and other brands that have this feature) when you're walking fast. It's due to averaging and extrapolition algorithms in the GPS. I not only slow down as I near the spot (natural enough since you'll start looking for likely spots) but once you get to the initial GZ, stand still for a minute or two and let the GPS settle. I watch the EPE and Bearing and once they stabalize, the distance will be more accurate.

Agree with Kerstin76, I like my Color and feel comfortable with it *once you recognize one very important issue,* over-run. Because of the refresh technology used you can easily "walk too fast" and pass GZ on average 20' or so. Thus, set an alarm to beep at 100' then !slow down! and all works much better.

ZS

That must explain why I never have that issue. Thanks. :D:D