Poker Run

SeabeckTribe

For this challenge you won't have to be a card shark. The only skill you'll need is plain old "Geo Sense".

We don't have a "Set in Stone" confirmation on the location. But hope to have one by January 20th (their computer date planner is down till then). We just wanted to get this date out in the forums so all you can put it down in your calendars. If not this park then another!

Date: June 24, 2006

Place: Jarstad Park in Kitsap County

Time: Sign-Up - 11am to 1pm. The Run - 11am to 4pm.

Prizes Awarded: 5pm.

Pot Luck: ? to ?

Will update as soon as we get confirmation. Rules and a general route will come soon after.

This will be the Tribes first hosted event. We're looking forward to it and hope to see ya all there.

Not sure I can make it on that date but was wondering just what was planned. I did find a cache for Geopoker (GCMQRJ) I wonder if it will be something like that.

We’re planning a little Poker Run Sunday, March 13th 2005 after the Texas Challenge 2005 in Cedar Hill State Park. Here’s how it goes. On the grounds of Cedar Hill State Park will be 5 hidden containers with at least 20 cards in each one (2 decks will be used). Once you find one of the containers, you can take only 1 card from it at that time. After finding all 5 containers you should have only 5 cards in your possession. At any time you can go back to any or all of the containers and trade one card per visit (if there are cards left). You do not have to find all 5 containers before going back to trade at a previous container. At no time should you have more than 5 cards in your possession. This is a timed event and any hand that is not back at the starting point by 11:00 a.m. will be disqualified! No trading of cards with other players is permitted. You do not necessarily have to have 5 cards to win. A “Flush” will not count as a winning hand! There are no wild cards. In case of a tie, a cut for high card will determine the winner.

Due to the limited number of cards, the participants will be limited to the first 20 individuals or teams that sign in at the designated starting area. A team or couple must hunt together and cannot split up to find multiple containers.

Dick, W7WT

Not sure I can make it on that date but was wondering just what was planned.

Dick, W7WT

Our thoughts were... 7 Card Stud.

There will be 7 caches. Each participant will get a map of the route at the time of sign-in. Each participant will bring an 'entry fee' of a suitable, caching related item. (Same as the Luau) That way everyone will be a winner.

In each of the 7 traditional regular caches there will be an envelope of tickets. Each ticket will have the number of the cache on the back accordingly to each cache. (1 for cache #1, 2 for cache #2, ECT).

When the participant gets back to the finish they will trade in their numbered tickets (1 through 7) for a random draw of 7 cards. Each deck will consist of 52 cards. Once a deck has depleted to less than 7 cards. A new deck of 52 will be produced.

The cachers hand will be the best 5 cards out of the 7 cards. To break a tie the high cards out of the 2 extra cards will be used. If there needs to be an additional tie breaker, it will be done by a cut of the cards (a brand new deck). Prizes will be awarded from High hand, which will get first choice from the prizes, to low hand.

The caches will be fairly simple finds. We want to make sure everyone will be able to find all 7 caches in a fair amount of time. There will be a couple multi caches thrown in just to make it fun. In the end cachers will get to log 7 new caches and one event.

Now if this comes together as easily as it sound…

This will be a potluck affair. It should be a fun day of caching, visiting with old caching buddies and meeting new cachers, and good food.

Boy! this sounds like a lot of fun. Will try to make it. I have a conflict but may come anyway. Is this a walking route or in a vehicle and how much total travel. The reason I am asking is wheither I will be walking, on my scooter or in the Land Cruiser. Thanks for putting on this interesting and exciting event. Dick, W7WT

Boy! this sounds like a lot of fun. Will try to make it. I have a conflict but may come anyway. Is this a walking route or in a vehicle and how much total travel. The reason I am asking is wheither I will be walking, on my scooter or in the Land Cruiser. Thanks for putting on this interesting and exciting event. Dick, W7WT

We plan on making the route, by car or scooter, so the start and end make a loop. Mileage.... Not sure yet. But we are kinda thinking the route should take no longer than a couple two hours. This will give an extra amount to time for those that are slow cachers or just like to take their time or try for some other caches along the way. So those cacher that don't register till 1pm will have till 4pm to finish the route. This will NOT be a TIMED event. Those that register early and get done early will have the rest of the time before prizes are awarded to do some other local caches or just come back to the park to hang around and visit and share stories (or tales). At the time of registering, we will provide the 7 cache pages and the route for the Run. These will become permanent traditional regular caches afterwards. The pages will be activated on the day after the run.

Happy Caching...

These will become permanent traditional regular caches afterwards. The pages will be activated on the day after the run.

Does this mean that if you find the caches at the event, they will not count as a find? Dick, W7WT

Since we plan on attending at this point, we'll either arrange for another volunteer to list them during the event or we'll do it afterwards. Either way you'll get to log them as they will be regular caches after the event.

These will become permanent traditional regular caches afterwards. The pages will be activated on the day after the run.

Does this mean that if you find the caches at the event, they will not count as a find?  Dick, W7WT

Since we plan on attending at this point, we'll either arrange for another volunteer to list them during the event or we'll do it afterwards. Either way you'll get to log them as they will be regular caches after the event.

Thank you.

:ph34r: Have reserved Jarstad Park for June 24th. About mid April we will hope to have the event approved and posted on GC. By that time tax season will be over and will have time to devote all our attention to the GeoPoker Run. Will start a new forum post also. But don't hesitate to ask question here till then.

Happy Caching

The Tribe

We are going to be submitting the GeoPoker Run page for review this week. :D

The Tribe

:( Here's a link for the GeoPoker Run .

We're really excited about hosting our first event. We see a lot of new names out in the caching world and hope to get to meet some of you at the Run. There will be an event coin and we will be posting a picture of it soon. There is only going to be 100 coins minted. It'll be avaliable to only those that attend the event and limiting to one per caching family. The cost will be $7.50

At the time of registering, we will provide the 7 cache pages and the route for the Run. These will become permanent traditional regular caches afterwards. The pages will be activated on the day after the run.

Perchance will they be available as downloadable files to a Garmin 60cs? (or to any computer-connectable gps device, for that matter)

At the time of registering, we will provide the 7 cache pages and the route for the Run. These will become permanent traditional regular caches afterwards. The pages will be activated on the day after the run.

Perchance will they be available as downloadable files to a Garmin 60cs? (or to any computer-connectable gps device, for that matter)

Good thought! ;) I'll talk to Roy and see what we can do.

Thanks for the suggestion.

It would be very easy to do in GSAK or EasyGPS...then all you would need to do is either send them to people or have a laptop there that people could use.

Heck, I'll even volunteer to do the GSAK points for you, just send me the Long/Lat information and any details you want included in the files.

It would be very easy to do in GSAK or EasyGPS...then all you would need to do is either send them to people or have a laptop there that people could use.

Heck, I'll even volunteer to do the GSAK points for you, just send me the Long/Lat information and any details you want included in the files.

Thanks Allanon. Roy has been working with GSAK. If he runs into a problem we'll get in contact with you.

We will have a computer at the Park. But those that don't have Garmin will have to bring their computer/GPS cables.

Thanks Allanon. Roy has been working with GSAK. If he runs into a problem we'll get in contact with you.

We will have a computer at the Park. But those that don't have Garmin will have to bring their computer/GPS cables.

Okie Dokie...

I'll just throw this out though, so others can plan...which Garmin cable(s) will you have? USB or Serial or both?

Okie Dokie...

I'll just throw this out though, so others can plan...which Garmin cable(s) will you have? USB or Serial or both?

:D Oh gosh.... You would have to ask technical question like that!

Called Roy and he said we have both USB and Serial. The cable we have is for the Garmin Rinos. (We just taked about that this afternoon and told me that other Garmin GPS's use different cables.)

We will also have a disk and a floppy with the info for those that bring their own computers.

Happy Caching till the Run!

Called Roy and he said we have both USB and Serial. The cable we have is for the Garmin Rinos. (We just taked about that this afternoon and told me that other Garmin GPS's use different cables.)

The GPSmap 60cs I have just uses a USB mini-B connector... I'll make sure to bring my cable, if you don't have one like that.

Well it is getting close to da day... :rolleyes:

We plan on having some games for the kids. One will be a Virtual Scavenger Hunt . While they are on the Run with their parents they will have to find items on a Scavenger List. We are still working out details.

Anyone with other ideas for kid games. Email us.

There will also be a SPECIAL cache on the Run. This cache will have raffle tickets for a drawing for an Original Stash Coin & Pin Set. This coin is GC trackable and has it's own icon. One ticket per cacher or caching Family. Click here for a picture of the Original Stash coin.

"Snow Dogs" (Alice and Tim) Volunteered to help with Paper Plates, Cups and/or Napkins. Thanks... anything you bring will be very appreciated.

Happy Caching and hope to see you at the Run.

We have been working on some kid activities. There will be a Target Game for 12 and under. Three rings on the ground and each kid will get 5 bean bags to toss. Winners will be high points to low points. Entry fee is some small Geo Trade Item the kids would like to get out of a cache. Everyone will be a winner.

The Virtual Scavenger Hunt is coming along. It also is for kids 12 and under. Each child will get a list of items to look for as they travel the road with their parents. It will list the items between each GeoPoker Cache. There is no entry fee or awards. Just a grab box of small goodies waiting for them when they return and turn in their list.

There will be a jar full of Jelly Beans for "Guess How Many!" contest. The closes count wins the Jar of Jelly Beans.

There will be a place set aside for a Travel Bug Exchange.

If the kids (or you) get bored. We plan on having a 13" TV/VCR so the kids can entertain themselves by watching movies.

Looks like the weather will be kind to us for this Saturday. :P

Just added a few details on the GeoPoker Run Cache page. (GCT0NF)

All the caches are made up and the pages are ready. We will be really busy this Thursday or Friday placing them. :) Remember ... The cache pages will not be published till the day after . This is so no one will get a jump start before the event.

We will have driving directions and the cache pages for you when you register. When all is done and over, you will be able to log one event, 7 to 9 caches. One of the extra caches is a Fun cache on the route. You don't have to do it to qualify for the event. It was just to good of a place to pass up. This will give you a chance to take a break, eat your picnic lunch or give the kids a Time Out.

The other extra cache is for raffle tickets for an "Original Stach Geocoin and Pin Set". :)

Lummieh has been busy :laughing: putting out a few new quick caches that will be on the route for those that have already done must of the caches in our area.

If you are into Letterboxing.org, there are a couple on the route. The one on Green Mountain is about .5 miles up the road. The gate is suppost to be open on the weekends. You can drive and almost park on top of it. Then it is only a very, very short walk. :P

Just have a few last minute details on our TO DO list, but it looks like it is coming together fairly well. Looking forward in seeing all you fellow cachers and getting to meeting all the newbies.

See all of you Saturday! :D :unsure: