Sad News

Cornerstone4

Ironically, an incident like this is why I turned to geocaching. My Mother and Step-Father were killed on a Harley, hit head on. Shortly thereafter, "Acme" introduced me to geocaching, and has helped keep my mind busy during those very hard times. My heart and understanding go out to his family and friends, but I have found that my fellow geocachers have been very helpful, have been there for me, and we will be there for you now.

Edited by Chaos A.D./aka Arlsdaddy

All of the moderators here at Groundspeak send our deepest sympathy and heartfelt condolences to the Gradisher Family at this tragic time.

I read this poem just two days ago. I do not know the author.

I'd like the memory of me

to be a happy one,

I'd like to leave an afterglow of smiles when

day is gone,

I'd like to leave an echo

whispering softly down

the ways,

Of happy times, and

laughing times, and bright

and sunny days,

I'd like the tears of those

who grieve to dry before the sun,

Of happy memories that I

leave when life is done.

If anyone has information on a donation / funding thing please contact me. (i.e. Donations at a specific bank branch?) Would like to do a charity type auction, although I don't think it can be listed as such. Just wanting to help out the family as I know from personal experience that a little goes a long way in a time like this. Please contact me directly, not on these forums, so I can be sure not to miss any information. Thanks all.

If anyone has information on a donation / funding thing please contact me. (i.e. Donations at a specific bank branch?) Would like to do a charity type auction, although I don't think it can be listed as such. Just wanting to help out the family as I know from personal experience that a little goes a long way in a time like this. Please contact me directly, not on these forums, so I can be sure not to miss any information. Thanks all.

I'd be happy to auction a VERY limited editon EU geocoin.

Alex.

All of the moderators here at Groundspeak send our deepest sympathy and heartfelt condolences to the Gradisher Family at this tragic time.

I read this poem just two days ago. I do not know the author.

I'd like the memory of me

to be a happy one,

I'd like to leave an afterglow of smiles when

day is gone,

I'd like to leave an echo

whispering softly down

the ways,

Of happy times, and

laughing times, and bright

and sunny days,

I'd like the tears of those

who grieve to dry before the sun,

Of happy memories that I

leave when life is done.

I love it, and from others sharing tales of his zest for life, I am sure he would have loved it too.

Some of you may or may not have seen bikedog's smashed pennies that he began placing into caches. Based on my communications with him he was very passionate about it and couldn't wait to begin placing them into caches. Below is a link to a video compilation that Jerry sent me awhile back showing his true passion for geocaching and creating one of his signature items.

Jerry said:

"This is a day in the life of an elongated coin. Sure, I know, not as flashy as a geocoin. Not as heavy, nor expensive, either. It's small enough that even those dadgum urban micro's still get a donation. I've stamped a unique tracking number into the first batch. Follow its travels with Google Earth maps."

Bikedog Smashed Penny Video

Bikedog Smashed Penny Tracking Site

Been watching this papers website for more information regarding donations, but haven't seen anything yet. Anyone know of anything yet? Thanx.

The family has announced a memorial service this coming Saturday. Jerry's wife is really moved by the outpouring of our community here, and appreciates all of your thoughts and prayers.

They will be setting up a trust fund for Danielle, Jerry's daughter this week. I will post a note when I have it. If Eartha gives the OK, I'll post the info here. If not, I will post a note for people to contact me, or else direct you to where you can get the necessary information.

In addition, Caching Widow, and Passing Wind have already put together artwork for a memorial coin. We would like to make it trackable, and if we get approval, will have a custom icon. Once we have the coins in-hand, we will be selling the coins, and of course, all profit will go to the trust fund.

In addition, Caching Widow, and Passing Wind have already put together artwork for a memorial coin. We would like to make it trackable, and if we get approval, will have a custom icon. Once we have the coins in-hand, we will be selling the coins, and of course, all profit will go to the trust fund.

What a great design and idea for a coin. Saw the preliminary art work in the other thread. I look forward to being able to purchase these coins to help the family.

What a great design and idea for a coin. Saw the preliminary art work in the other thread. I look forward to being able to purchase these coins to help the family.

What other thread?

Our thoughts exactly.

We salute a fellow geocacher and Coin Quester and wish him God speed into the great beyond. (There must be caches in heaven, don't you think?)

It's not heaven if there aren't caches there, :) and in his case, motorcycles too.

The thoughts and prayers of those in Salt Lake City are with the family. I can't even imagine loosing my dad (the center of my world) at 13. I would be totally lost. **Sending hugs and kisses to the daughter** she will be changed forever, just like any kid would be.

~Rose

As one of Bikedog's best friends, I thank you for all of the prayers and support. His wife Nancy set up a trust account at a local financial institution today and she will be sending me the details in an email tonight or tomorrow. Once I have the info I will post it here and on the other threads covering this loss including "Bikedog down" and " The San Diego Thread".

Thanks,

Howling Wolf

This was a terrible tragedy. I offer my deepest sympathy to his family.

Just a suggestion - someone could start a travel bug book where people write their condolences. You can bring this to different geomeets for people to sign then present it to his family once it has made the rounds.

As one of Bikedog's best friends, I thank you for all of the prayers and support. His wife Nancy set up a trust account at a local financial institution today and she will be sending me the details in an email tonight or tomorrow. Once I have the info I will post it here and on the other threads covering this loss including "Bikedog down" and " The San Diego Thread".

Thanks,

Howling Wolf

In response to all of your inquiries, a bikedog memorial account has been set up for the benefit of his 13 year old daughter. Checks should be made out to the "Gradisher Memorial" and sent to the following address:

San Diego County Credit Union

501 N El Camino Real

Encinitas, CA 92024

If you live locally, you can also drop off your cash donations at any San Diego County Credit Union Branch.

Again, thank you for all of your prayers and condolences.

Howling Wolf

Or maybe anyone wanting to do this can all send coins to one person and have them list it as a "collection" so to speak. (No, not me, I was thinking of someone who has alot of posts/respect in the forums that we ALL can trust.) :)

Just a thought to not interfere with other auctions. Afterall, it can last anywhere from 1 to 7 days or more per auction.

Edited by Chaos A.D./aka Arlsdaddy

Here's the initial artwork for a Bikedog memorial coin. Cornerstone4 and Tess are going to help out with it.

BikeDog.jpgbikedog220.jpg

The design will mirror the copper smashed penny that was bikedog's signature item.

Caching Widow & PassingWind

Seems a fitting memorial. I like the design, esp. the bike chain border. I reckon bikedog likes it, too. Peace be with him on his eternal ride ... and God comfort his friends and family in their time of sorrow.

Thank you Caching Widow & PassingWind, Cornerstone4 and Tess for a touching tribute.

©¿©¬

Bump...still awaiting suggestions regarding simultanious sales to benifit the trust account. I'm getting ready to figure out how I want to do it over here, but don't want to take away from others. Feel free to email me if you have suggestions, otherwise I plan on listing something sometime between tonight and Sunday.

Go for it!

I will list the limited 2006 Compass Rose I have on Monday or Tuesday. That will leave a couple of day break between the end of auctions.

Thank you so much for helping out.

Dave