Caches With The Same Name

We have a cache in a lamppost in the Kohls parking lot. It was our 1st cache placement. It never occured to us to search to see if the name we used was already in use. Well it was in use; a cacher had placed 6 caches with that name about 60-80 miles north of ours.

Just this week he was caching in our area, found our cache and placed this one. A small cache in a tree just .10 mile away for ours. We were FTF on it. We have gotten some emails about this from other local cachers who apperantly are upset about this and about the fact that 2 caches with the same name are in the same area. Some have been down right ugly.

I have emailed the owner of the new cache and he feels like now the area has 2 caches for the price of 1. I agree it is ok. But it is seeming to upset some others.

What do you think about this? :antenna::antenna:

We have a cache in a lamppost in the Kohls parking lot. It was our 1st cache placement. It never occured to us to search to see if the name we used was already in use. Well it was in use; a cacher had placed 6 caches with that name about 60-80 miles north of ours.

Just this week he was caching in our area, found our cache and placed this one. A small cache in a tree just .10 mile away for ours. We were FTF on it. We have gotten some emails about this from other local cachers who apperantly are upset about this and about the fact that 2 caches with the same name are in the same area. Some have been down right ugly.

I have emailed the owner of the new cache and he feels like now the area has 2 caches for the price of 1. I agree it is ok. But it is seeming to upset some others.

What do you think about this? :antenna::antenna:

They do not have the same name.

Write back and ask the other owner if he wouldn't mind adding the word "More" at the beginning of his cache title. If not, add the words "The Original" at the beginning of yours. Then, enjoy a glass of your favorite beverage and have a good night's sleep.

It does get confusing when you are keeping track of the caches you found, and the same name pops up multiple times.

The volunteer cache reviewer for my area is wonderful. He seems to have memorized all the cache names. He will politely note that there is already a cache called "Buttermilk Falls" about 30 miles away, and ask the hider of the second cache to consider a different name. But there is no obligation to do that. People can name their caches however they'd like.

There are a zillion caches named "A Walk in the Park," for example.

EDIT: Team Cotati is correct. There is no issue here?

Edited by The Leprechauns
We have gotten some emails about this from other local cachers who apperantly are upset about this and about the fact that 2 caches with the same name are in the same area. Some have been down right ugly.

Ahhhhh, THE A.G.C. (Anal Geocachers Club) in action. :antenna:

As people have noted. They DON'T have the same name.

What do you think about this?

I think your next 15 hides in the area should be cleverly named in the same fashion. :antenna: That'll teach 'em. (OK, that's what I would do.) I mean, you can't go to their office and mess up their neat little desk while they're at lunch. Or can you?

It's true, that can be confusing to have such similar names so close to each other. But are these people writing and being ugly in particular towards you? :antenna: That doesn't make sense. If they are going to be ugly, they need to be ugly towards the other guy, since his cache was placed second.

I'd say, don't worry about it, you were there first! If anyone says anything to you, just refer them to the other guy.

Otherwise, they'll find each cache once, log it, and then they shouldn't think another thought about it, because they're both off their to do list. If they keep worring at it, that's their problem. It's life. Could my husband help that his best friend in highschool had the same name as him? So one was "Big _" and the other was "Little _". It happens. We laugh and go on, happy that life isn't always boring and predictable. :antenna:

Thanks for the responses. No the names are not 100% identical, just most of it is the same. I guess some people just take things way too seriously and there is nothing I can do about it. I will not always to check to on the names of the caches I put out from now on. For all I know the other cacher was mad at us because he thought we stole his series.

As for lamp-post micros when we found our 1st one we thought this was the coolest idea ever. So we placed one thinking how cool that was. Little did we know the controversy or how proliferate they were.

We have gotten some emails about this from other local cachers who apperantly are upset about this and about the fact that 2 caches with the same name are in the same area. Some have been down right ugly.

If those folks emailed you through gc.com and were abusive you can report them. Personally I think AR should be out taking care of his temporarily disabled caches instead of complaining about yours :D

What a clever name. We have a Kohls not too far from our house. Hhhmmmm.

I wouldn't be concerned about it, go mess up that person's desk and you'll feel better. :D

I didn't know that I had to check for a similar name. I thought if I used the same name as another cache I would get an error message or something. It's good to know this bit of info for future reference. We've only hidden one cache and I know in my immediate area there is not a cache with a similar name.

Before naming my caches, I usually do a search to see if it is a unique idea. The one time I didn't was when I placed my "The Chain Letter" cache.

Well, not only was there another Chain Letter cache, but only a few miles away! And, to top it off, it involved a very similar twist to find the cache! :D

I editted my cache poage to acknowledge the other cache, and sent a note to the owner, but they didn't seem to mind, so I left it.

I have heard that there has been a bit of confusion due to this, such as at the last Event I was at someone asked if The Cahin Letter was mine, and of course I said yes, but when they started talking details I realized they meant the other one :D

Love the name of the cache(s) in question. Imagine if someone came up with an original idea at a "country restaurant" that has rocking chairs out front and called them "Off Your Rocker." The hate mail would be flying there, wouldn't it? Geocaching can show you much fun and unhappiness, it's all in how you play the game and express yourself to others in actions and the logs. Take the mails with a grain of salt and enjoy the game. It's all about the fun....

This is confusing to me. Why on earth would this upset others? Are these others giving you a reason why they are upset?

The thing is, you and the cacher that hid the 2nd one are perfectly fine with this. It's nobody elses business. :D

There is an issue for some folks who load caches by name -- two caches with the same name lead to only one showing up in the GPSr. (At least in my Garmin 60cs.) They both make the PDA, but if you are just using the GPSr to find the next closest...

So, the problem isn't the way the caches are named. The problem is that people have chosen to use a naming convention for downloads that doesn't allow for non-unique names. :D

That's kind of like saying that nobody else should be allowed to drive a green Blazer, because if they do, then I'll have trouble finding mine in the parking lot. :D

This is confusing to me. Why on earth would this upset others? Are these others giving you a reason why they are upset?

The thing is, you and the cacher that hid the 2nd one are perfectly fine with this. It's nobody elses business. :D

I think the people thought we put the cache out at first. Maybe they thought we were stupid for naming our caches the same thing.

The emails did not come through gc.com. A lot of the locals around here have our email address because we have emailed most of them before.

I am just to going to let the whole situation go, if they are upset then so be it.

All is well in my caching world.... ;):D:lol::):D

I also always do a quick check to make sure I haven't hidden a micro in a lamp-post.  Again, it's a quality issue.

:laughing::mad::huh:B)B):D

I can see the reason people complain though, because on the GPSr where you only get 8 or 10 letters of the begining of the cache name, these caches look identical. But still, it's not an issue that's worth complaining to the cache owners about. The names are different, so it shouldn't be a problem.

If you were loading them at the same time using GSAK smart names they would come out as Kohldhar and Kohldha1. Two different names. Anyway, I live in Florida where there are just under 50 Off Your Rockers. And I have a River Rapids Micro cache on River Rapids Trail, of course. Last week some cachers placed a cache 527 feet from mine and named it River Rapids! I'm not complaining. Now it's a 2fer.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

That's funny. I'd email each whiney butt person back and ask if they prefered "Geocache" as the name for all your caches or if they would mind if you left things they way they were. Alternately I'd give them a list of better name suggestions for their caches. Or you could name them all by their waypoint name. "GCZ432, GCK8YZ" and so on. They should love that. Then again, why change the name. GCKMAS or GCKMADwould work for all of them.

Most people can dish advice, less can take it. Especially if it's every bit as good as their orignal advice (meaning worthless).

There is nothing to get upset over. But that never stopped anybody...

Edited by Renegade Knight

Fresgo places a cache called The Bird which is now called Never More Never More one day and a week later longdrive places a cache called the The Birds!!! just 6.3 miles east

Even though mine was placed first I changed the name of mine no harm no foul we are all good people here I think. There are a few caches in our area called Thirsty? and several others does it really matter there is no copyright involved or is there?

Edited by fresgo