Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CoyoteRed

Thoughts On Rino 530?

First of all, let me say I'm not looking at going HAM. The idea is for both the wife and I to have a single unit each replacing our SporTraks and FRS radios. We tried the FRS route, but practical distance is a joke so they often get left behind. However, we sometimes like going exploring by ourselves and thus lose touch. There is no way I'd be able to convince Sissy to get her HAM license.

The Garmin Rino 530 looks to be a GPSMAP 60 series combined with a full power GMRS radio.

...or would it be better to go the seperate GPSMAP 60 series / some other GMRS radio route?

Thoughts?

What's wrong with getting a license? A couple weeks reading "Now You're Talking!" would be plenty study for the Technician license.

The Garmin Rino 530 looks to be a GPSMAP 60 series combined with a full power GMRS radio.

You should really get a GMRS license if you want to use the GMRS channels on that. At $80 bucks it is expensive but you and your wife can use the same license. It is probably better though if you go ahead and knuckle down and study for you ham license. Ain't that hard. My wife, nontechnical that she is, passed her license test back in October.

Max...

K0AZV - Ham

WPWH-650 - GMRS

Hi everyone,

First off the GMRS license costs $75 the last time I checked. Second if there isn't a GMRS repeater that you can hit you are just as well off with a FRS radio. I understand the GMRS repeaters are few and far between. I would say borrow someones GMRS radio and test it out.

I agree, get your ham license. I will send you addresses of a couple of web site that have practice exams.

Heyboom, W1ACX

Hi again,

Go to qrz.com or eham.net. You can find practice technician exams there. You don't have to pass a code test to get a license.

heyboom, W1ACX