Request For A Pushchair Friendly Attribute

doctor scotland

i recently posted a thread on the uk section of the forum asking if a pushchair (or baby buggy) friendly attribute would be a useful addition to cache listings.

i would like to see one, and it seems others would also.

the wheelchair attribute doesnt quite do it, as pushchairs can often go where wheelchairs can't - depending upon who is pushing i suppose!

so, is this a good idea?

and if so, how do we go about requesting one?

i must admit even thought now my son is three he some times has to go in his buggy and i feel that this atribute would be very use full for other people ie follk whou cant walk too far on uneven surfaces but can walk on harder terain than a wheelchair ,

i would like to se you take this idea seriousely jeramy or who ever it is that has control over these matters

yours hopefully craig mawdesley UK cacher :unsure:

it'd help myself and others cachers to assess whether or not to leave their kids and pushchairs at home - or at the parking coordinates!

i think its a simple matter of an attribute that could have been made available in the beginning, but perhaps with some encouragement, its maybe not too late to get one added for future use.

is this a good idea?

I would love to see something indicating that a cache is suitable for pushchairs. We have a 3 year old and on occasion it would be nice to know that we could take the buggy as an option!

this could also have another advantage of indicating it is a family type cache and the swaps could therefore be aimed at the little ones. When we cache the adults couldn't care less what there is to swap, but a cache is often made very special for our wee lad when he finds something special in there...his favourites being small cars (a big plus for opening doors), Batman/Superhero type figures .... you know the sort! (and, an advantage for the adults as we can often get himto walk the whole way back if he is happy with his "treasure")

VB :unsure:

It's hard enough to get people to accurately rate handicapped accessible caches, what makes you think adding another attribute will help?

Maybe we could make a rule that only people with pushchairs can use the attribute :unsure:

Just kidding, I think it is a good idea, although I do not have any kids.

It's hard enough to get people to accurately rate handicapped accessible caches, what makes you think adding another attribute will help?

Hi

Lets see, no attributes means no guidance at all. So how does that indicate that the cache is suitable for wheelchairs and/or strollers? Does that improve things? I would suggest not.

Now having an attriubte immediately means that there is some possiblity that it will used and therefore provide an indication of cache accesibilty.

Having the attribute sure is an advantage over not having one in my view and therefore, even assuming say a 10% correct application rate (which brings into question all the attributes of course) it is a 10% improvement over the alternative, no rating and thus no idea of accesiblity for wheelchairs and/or pushchairs/strollers whatever..

So in summary, I think it is is a good idea. I also think disabiltiy access is also important. Well done to the OP for suggesting it.

Good to see some constructive simple things being put up.

Regards

Andrew

Because everyone who uses the attribute will help people who search out caches or identify the caches they can do. It does seem to be a family friendly sport.

I too think this is a good idea and helps with the family element of geocaching.

Getting people to use attributes is however a different thread subject as is using handicaching ratings.

In the UK when we click through from GUK the handicaching link is incorporated on the cache page that would help with your issue.

Sure. We can add it.

It'll be a variation on this.

stroller_icon.gif

As most handicapped people I spoke to, they like the wheelchair icon because it at least gives them an idea. The same will go for the stroller icon.

All attributes are subjective. Use your best judgement.

yes lil devil they would both have different abilities!

the attribute would just serve as a useful guide and something for people to consider when either listing or finding a cache.

anyone with kids or a pushchair could then consider if their own pushchair was up to the terrain rating, and take further advice from the description.

basically its a matter of coaxing cache placers to consider the needs of cachers with small children, that might have to use a pushchair, and indicate whether or not some form of pushchair could be used.

some cachers (gowenhouse for one example) make a point of stating in their descriptions if their caches arent suitable for pushchairs.

This is fantastic advice for someone with kids. (his caches are usually very good too!)

the attribute might make other cachers also consider people with pushchairs, the same way as the wheelchair, or mountain bike one does, but in a more definitive way.

Sure. We can add it.

stroller_icon.gif

As most handicapped people I spoke to, they like the wheelchair icon because it at least gives them an idea. The same will go for the stroller icon.

It's good to see that this attribute is going to be added, would it be possible to be informed on this thread when it is activated please? I'll then get to work in updated all my attributes. :unsure::blink:

I treat the wheelchair attribute, as the occupant of the wheelchair is looking for the cache. The Pushchair/Stroller attribute certainly isn't going to be the occupant out looking for the cache, unless you have different thoughts on parental responsibilities?

I treat the wheelchair attribute, as the occupant of the wheelchair is looking for the cache. The Pushchair/Stroller attribute certainly isn't going to be the occupant out looking for the cache, unless you have different thoughts on parental responsibilities?

My kids look for caches all the time. It's never been a problem before. :unsure:

My kids look for caches all the time. It's never been a problem before. :unsure:

Without wishing getting into an argument, just because it's never been a problem for you, doesn't mean it's not a problem for others! We are all different after all.

I'm just wondering why kids shouldn't be looking for caches, since that seems to be what has been implied

Without wishing getting into an argument, just because it's never been a problem for you, doesn't mean it's not a problem for others! We are all different after all.

I'm just wondering why kids shouldn't be looking for caches, since that seems to be what has been implied

An infant is a child in the earliest period of life, a toddler is a child that is just LEARNING to walk, both of which are users of pushchairs and are not yet capable of understanding the word treasure let alone search for it!

You have said you have got kids, but it appears you have forgot that there is a period of about 2 - 3 years were they are totally dependant on their parents, and are not capable of going to the toilet on their own, let alone search and walk to caches!

Now I feel as though your comments are rather pedantic, so I am choosing to stop this part of my discussion at this time!

An infant is a child in the earliest period of life, a toddler is a child that is just LEARNING to walk, both of which are users of pushchairs and are not yet capable of understanding the word treasure let alone search for it!

You have said you have got kids, but it appears you have forgot that there is a period of about 2 - 3 years were they are totally dependant on their parents, and are not capable of going to the toilet on their own, let alone search and walk to caches!

Now I feel as though your comments are rather pedantic, so I am choosing to stop this part of my discussion at this time!

When we started caching, our youngest was just over a year old. By the time he was a year and a half old, he had gone on a 4 mile hike. We carried him for as much as a 1/2 mile - the rest he did on his own. Yes, it was slow going but he did remarkably well for his age. I think your comments that young kids can't go caching is an insult, but this has gone far enough off topic.

back to strollers: My kids have always walked to caches. When we go to a park, they like to run around and play. No need for a stroller, but I can see where some people might use them (yes, they are very useful, especially with tired infants that you don't want to carry). I tend to think that if a wheelchair can get to a cache, so can a stroller. Yes, it's easier to lift strollers over curbs, but does that alone need a separate attribute? It's fine if it does, I may or may not add it to my caches. If anything, I'd replace the "kid friendly" attribute with the stroller so that I don't have too many attributes on a cache (we are limited to 10 of them)

My kids look for caches all the time. It's never been a problem before. :lol:

When we started caching, our youngest was just over a year old. By the time he was a year and a half old, he had gone on a 4 mile hike. We carried him for as much as a 1/2 mile - the rest he did on his own. Yes, it was slow going but he did remarkably well for his age. I think your comments that young kids can't go caching is an insult, but this has gone far enough off topic.

back to strollers: My kids have always walked to caches. When we go to a park, they like to run around and play. No need for a stroller, but I can see where some people might use them (yes, they are very useful, especially with tired infants that you don't want to carry). I tend to think that if a wheelchair can get to a cache, so can a stroller. Yes, it's easier to lift strollers over curbs, but does that alone need a separate attribute? It's fine if it does, I may or may not add it to my caches. If anything, I'd replace the "kid friendly" attribute with the stroller so that I don't have too many attributes on a cache (we are limited to 10 of them)

To be honest, I used to think that most caches were too tough for my kids (4 yo son and 2 yo daughter) but I have learned otherwise.

On one that did not require climbing on any rocks but had lots of 3-5 ft. high rock formations along the shore near the cache, my kids actually both attempted to climb the rocks (I did not make them or anything!) To my surprise, they both made it up easily! (I did note this in my cache entry to warn parents so they watch their kids while there).

We have been on a couple of caches involving 1 mile walks where I had my doubts, especially with my 2 year old but my wife disagreed but we took a stroller for our daughter just in case and they have done well so I do not doubt anymore. Our pediatrician when we told her about this was actually quite pleased (both kids for different reasons started crawling/walking late and still have minor difficulties that have resulted in once/week physical therapy session and she thinks this is a great way to build their endurance) and even said that she may suggest caching to others as a possible way for families of young kids to get together for fresh air and exercise.

Maybe a "stroller icon" will also discourage those "extreme cacher" with 4-digit find counts who go to the simpler more "family oriented" caches just to up their find count and then insultingly log their find "DPM"! :unsure:

In an unrelated note I hope to see more UK-oriented posts in the forums as I love learning how people outside of America use the English language! Though about 10 years ago I worked on a project for a year that required daily contact with an office in London and my wife works for a British airline (albeit in the US reservation office) we had never heard of the term "pushchair" (to be honest, I'm kind of surprised my wife hasn't as she occasionally does get British callers and lots of folks fly with small kids), but I think it's a very clever and accurate way to describe a stroller. :blink:

Sure. We can add it.

stroller_icon.gif

well, its good news from jeremy!

looks like we should get the new attribute!

thanks to all who offered their comments! :unsure:

Just curious.... what's the difference between the wheelchair icon and the stroller icon? Wouldn't it be safe to assume that if a wheelchair couldn't do it a stroller couldn't either?

it wouldnt be safe to assume that!

a pushchair, stroller or buggy can often go places that a person in a wheelchair wouldnt be able to go - depending on who is pushing the childs pushchair, stroller or buggy!

Just curious.... what's the difference between the wheelchair icon and the stroller icon? Wouldn't it be safe to assume that if a wheelchair couldn't do it a stroller couldn't either?

If I am caching in a wheelchair, I can only find caches that are reachable from a seated position. If I am caching while pushing a stroller, I can reach many more caches.

With the wheelchair icon, one must consider the route to the cache as well as the 'reachability' of the cache. With the stroller icon, one must only consider the route to the cache, in my opinion.

Depends on the quality of the stroller (PUSHCHAIR). I have one that wouldn't make it 10 foot down a gravel path and one that has been over high hills and big rocks. Could be difficult to get any uniformity.

Obviously, we need to define a very large number of attributes, in order to cover every possible kind of stroller, pushchair, wheelchair, or similar device in any kind of condition, so that every cache may be marked in a manner that allows a prospective seeker to easily determine whether or not the particular device he/she is using can get there.  Of course, we will also need to make sure that everyone who submits a cache for listing is sufficiently knowledgable about such devices to know which of these many attributes to apply to his own cache.

Obviously, we need to define a very large number of attributes, in order to cover every possible kind of stroller, pushchair, wheelchair, or similar device in any kind of condition, so that every cache may be marked in a manner that allows a prospective seeker to easily determine whether or not the particular device he/she is using can get there. Of course, we will also need to make sure that everyone who submits a cache for listing is sufficiently knowledgable about such devices to know which of these many attributes to apply to his own cache.

So are you saying we should scrap the attributes scheme altogether then because cachers don't know how to use it?

Or are you just against new attributes being suggested?

I like the attributes alot. I think the stroller icon would help because they can be very light and then which makes them easier to move around compared to a wheelchair. Some of my caches would be accesible with a stroller but not in a wheelchair. I like the new idea :grin: I don't know why alot of people are againts them. If you don't like the addributes then just don't use them :lol: whatever.

I like this idea, thanks for implementing it. I cache with my newborn in her stroller. We've put out a Stroller-Friendly series that would not be well-characterized with the handicapped attribute. Basically, I define stroller-friendly as a cache that has a reasonably-paved access, and isn't more than about 5-10 feet from the access path (so I don't have to leave her unattended in the stroller while I'm searching).

My kids look for caches all the time. It's never been a problem before. <_<

I agree with you, this is how we've always cached. I never would have used a stroller, they would either walk or go in a backpack.

But that being said, it seems a lot of people like this attribute, so obviously it will be useful to them. So I'm glad that it has been created for their sake.

jeremy?

any idea when we can expect this new attribute?

In the next few hours it should be available.

Many thanks for implementing this. I've just been updating my latest caches with it but I noticed there's a problem with the "Pushchair/Stroller NOT available" icon. I just get a square with a small x in it. :anibad:

big thanks to jeremy and everyone who commented on this new attribute - nice to see what can be done if a few people use their voices! (or keyboards!)

:anibad::blink::blink:;);)

however, i also get the same box for the unsuitable option- no picture - hopefully just a slight glitch that will get sorted shortly.

Thanks again everyone!

YESSSS!!!!! I have a 2 yr old and had a PQ to pull up "Wheelchair Accessible" caches just so I'd know which ones I could take her on. She's not old enough to trust that she'd stay right with me while I was digging around in bushes for a cache, and I didn't want to park her stroller 20-30 feet away from me while I hunted down the final location - just too dangerous in this day & age. The wheelchair accessible PQ still left out many caches that would not have been for a wheelchair, but would have been fine for a stroller. I am absolutely thrilled that you have added this attribute. Thank you so much!!! :lol: