Cache Etiquette

Mousetrap

I have a 2 stage cache out called "Tubes". I used PVC piping to make the tubes out of. First stage is about 3 in. long with caps. The caps are easily removed.

Stage 2 is made of 2 in. PVC and is about 8 in. long with caps. I tested it before I placed it and the caps came off fairly easy. Maybe it swelled or someone really shoved the caps home. But the last cacher that found it had to break it to get it open. Now was that right?? I could have been notified of the situation and I would have given him credit for the find then gone out there to resolve the opening problem.

Although he signed the log with what I assume was his real name, he did not record his find on the Geocache web page. He must be a cacher because he used caching terms on the log. I just don't quite understand his motives.

He needed a fix, man! You know how it is! :)

Seriously, I broke a container one time, trying to get it open; it was an accident. I immediately emailed the owner and explained, and she was very gracious about it. Considering that I had previously logged three DNFs on that cache, it would have been easy for her to assume that my intents were malicious.

Did your guy indicate that he broke the cache on purpose? :huh::)

No...it is totally wrong to damage or alter anothers cache under normal circumstances. However, accidents do happen.

In the old days, around here, caches like what you describe were more popular than they are today. One of the big problems with them is that they use to freeze in the winter and swell during hot weather and the caps would be impossible to open. When I first started caching, I always carried a pipe wrench in my backpack! Another issue with that type of container is it possibly being mistaken for a pipe bomb. There are numerous examples where this has happened.

Salvelinus

Edited by Salvelinus
He needed a fix, man! You know how it is! :)

Seriously, I broke a container one time, trying to get it open; it was an accident. I immediately emailed the owner and explained, and she was very gracious about it. Considering that I had previously logged three DNFs on that cache, it would have been easy for her to assume that my intents were malicious.

Did your guy indicate that he broke the cache on purpose? :huh::)

Only that his words were "We had to break it to get it open".

No, it's just a bad turn of phrase. If they wrote, "We broke it trying to open it", or, "It broke when we opened it" it would signify the same event as what was actually written. Cut some slack and make better caches. The fault usually accrues to the hider (not anticipating the ignoramus seeker).

It CAN certainly be an accident . . . as I have broken a container trying to open it.

I used a container of my own to replace it & notified the owner of the change. He could run out and replace mine or leave it. Always a good idea to carry some smalls/micros with you . . . you never break and ammo box.

you never break an ammo box.

Actually. someone broke one of ours :unsure:

It had been fine for months, and then the last log mentioned that everything inside was soaked. I went to check it out, and the latch was broken, letting water in. Until then I had thought that ammo cans were pretty much indestructible. (And I still think that -- I replaced it with another ammo box! :()

I wouldn't be surprised if whoever broke it didn't even realize it at the time, though, so I don't fault them for breaking it or for not telling us. One of the little hook-thingies on the latch got bent, so it didn't close tightly any more.

Did you use schedule 40 PVC (thick walled plumbing PVC)? If you did it should not have broken easily, even if cold and under normal use. I had a special container made out of SCH 40 and it had some special cuts made that made the unit weak in some spots. It held up quite well until someone walked off with it.

Accidents do happen but I try to go on the heavy side knowing the abuse some things get when in the wild.