Where Can I Get City Select Europe From..

kevin308

You have to buy the automotive kit for "a" GPSr. In theory this is only sold at the same time as a new GPSr purchase, but I don't think Garmin checks; however, the European CitySelect CD is not sold on its own in Europe. (American buyers of CitySelect US have the same problem - it's called marketing...)

The automotive kit contains some stuff you might well want, some you already have, and some you don't need. I ended up with a second dashboard bean bag. But I was able to shift it on eBay for about 90% of the local retail price, so I didn't do too badly.

In any case, if you feel bad about paying 40 quid more (or whatever it is) for the automotive kit than for the CD alone, pretend that the CD was 40 quid more expensive. I use the same logic when I pay €1 for something on eBay and then €5 for postage: if it would have been good value for €6 with free postage then where's the difference ? :)

any idea????

One reason that you could be having trouble getting hold of City Select 7 (Eur), is that those few suppliers who distributed it in the UK, have no stocks at the moment.

This is because a new version is due out in a couple of weeks time. It'll be called City Navigator V8 (rather than City Select) and you WILL be able to purchase it in Europe.

-Wlw.

any idea????

One reason that you could be having trouble getting hold of City Select 7 (Eur), is that those few suppliers who distributed it in the UK, have no stocks at the moment.

This is because a new version is due out in a couple of weeks time. It'll be called City Navigator V8 (rather than City Select) and you WILL be able to purchase it in Europe.

-Wlw.

From what I heard, this new version will only work with certain GPSr's, but details are not yet available

From what I heard, this new version will only work with certain GPSr's, but details are not yet available

That is incorrect.

CNV8 should be compatible with all units that could previously use CSV7.

There is another, different product which (with typical Garmin confustimacation) is called "City Navigator NT". This is not the animal being discussed here.

City Navigator NT uses a type of data compression which is only recognised by some newer devices. Since almost all of those devices are sold with it included, this is not likely to be an immediate problem.

-Wlw.

not having any navigator software, I have only been vaguely aware of the two activations limit, but I knew it existed. I was wondering how they do it? If we assume that the software is installed from a non-RW cd (ie, an old one!) then how can it make any changes to the CD? Further, if its installed onto a different PC, then the computer can't remember either!

Finally, should i ever think about getting it, what happens when you reformat the hard drive and need to reintstall (as i do at least once a year).

Just curious!

Dave

not having any navigator software, I have only been vaguely aware of the two activations limit, but I knew it existed. I was wondering how they do it? If we assume that the software is installed from a non-RW cd (ie, an old one!) then how can it make any changes to the CD? Further, if its installed onto a different PC, then the computer can't remember either!

Finally, should i ever think about getting it, what happens when you reformat the hard drive and need to reintstall (as i do at least once a year).

Just curious!

Dave

I seem to remember that you have to apply to Garmin (via their Web site) for the the 'unlock' code and it's logged against the serial number of the disk and the serial number of the GPSr that you're using it with. Two GPSr unit's per disk and that's your lot!!

It's something along those lines, anyway :antenna:

ah - that would make more sense. cheers! Still seems quite harsh though, if you have to get a replacement GPS for a faulty, then there's your two codes gone! I would hope they would be willing to be lenient where necessary...

Dave

If you return a unit for repair and they replace it, then they will issue you with unlock codes for your new unit. If you decided to uprgrade to a new GPSr then you are screwed.

- :antenna:

Edited by SlytherinAlex