Logging Muggled Caches

Porkchop61YD

:) If I find a muggled cache (either totally missing or log gone/destroyed), should I log it as found? Most of the time (unless it's a first find), it's about the hunt, so I'm not going to go back to the site even if they fix the cache. In addition, I want it to be marked as found so I can eaisly filter it out in GSAK or when decluttering my GPSr. Problem is, I don't know the etiquette on this one.
:D If I find a muggled cache (either totally missing or log gone/destroyed), should I log it as found? Most of the time (unless it's a first find), it's about the hunt, so I'm not going to go back to the site even if they fix the cache. In addition, I want it to be marked as found so I can eaisly filter it out in GSAK or when decluttering my GPSr. Problem is, I don't know the etiquette on this one.

If it's totally missing, how can you find it? :)

I see what you are saying, but there is a definite downside to that practice.

By logging a 'Find' instead of a DNF, cachers who follow you might see the smiley in the logs and assume teh cache is fine without reading it. A DNF smiley usually will make someone puase and read it to see if the problem is likely the cache or the finder. By logging a DNF you are lending a hand to the next guy. I've logged DNFs on places where I KNOW *I* was the problem, not the cache, and I usually say so in my log.

I have had this happen to me, where I didn't read the previous logs due to Find smileys, only to be frustrated in the end.

Here is a possible solution for you. I have not looked into it, so someone who actually knows will have to step in and correct me:

If you are a premium member, you can select caches to ignore from a Pocket Query. This will help in sorting out stuff in GSAK, as it won't even be in the PQ you receive.

At least, that is a place to start... :)

EDIT: As for decluttering the GPSr, do whatever you want on that. Noone is affected by it but you. I am only talking about online logging.

Edited by New England n00b

If we find a cache where the log is missing we add a spare log we keep in our pack or at the very least a piece of paper, even if it is the printed cache page. Then we sign that and in our log we mention that the log book was missing and what we did to fix it.

If we look for a cache and cannot find it how do we know it's missing? We only know we couldn't find it. Then we log a DNF.

If we come upon a site where the remains of a cache are scattered around we try to put everything back together and put it back in the container then replace the cache where we think it belonged according to hints and our GPSr readings. If the container is missing we gather everything up, take it home and log a DNF and contact the owner to arrange to give the the remains of the cache back.

We also go back and try to find all our DNF's.

Well, totally missing is easy to answer, you didn't find it so you can't confirm that you found the spot. No smiley.

Log missing or destroyed. If you can leave a piece of paper or something you can write on then I think you can log it. You can also contact that cache owner because its ultimately up to them if they will accept your 'find'.

JDandDD

A cache of mine was muggled . . . :) The container was left behind, but everything that had been inside it, including the logbook and a Travel Bug :huh: was missing.

Two people logged it as a "Found" even though they didn't sign a piece of paper or business card or anything and put it in the cache container . . . :)

Technically, that is not a find, but I'm not going to open a can of worms by deleting their "Found It" logs and asking them to return to the cache and sign the new logbook.

If you looked for the cache and didn't find it or didn't sign the logbook, you should log a DNF.

As previously said .... If you did not sign a log .... you can not log it as found. If it's muggled and the container is still around then you add a log sheet and report the issues to the cache owner.

As you do this more .... you will find it prudent to carry extra paper (and a real micro log and regular log printout are great to have as you are helping the cache owner out and also your fellow cachers who follow you), and a few extra baggies of assorted sizes. Heck ... we even carry around a few extra assorted micro containers.

The hunt is important as you said .... but the friends you make along the way are even more important. I enjoy our monthly SEPAG get togethers, and group geocache outtings and picnics. :) ImpalaBob

If you find the cache, you found the cache even if it's nothing more than the strewn contents and the smashed container. If there is no log to sign, that's not your fault. I have and will continue to log any cache I find as found even if there is no log to sign.

People forget that a log book was not always an absolute requirement for a cache. This activity isn't "Geologging" Though I have to admit some caches are nothing more than a log. Amazingly enough, log only caches are the most disspointing variety. I'd rather find a logless cache than a cacheless log.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Since its about the hunt and your hunt was unsuccessful, its a "didn't find it", not a "found it".

Consider that if it is indeed missing and you lie about finding it (which is essentialy what you are doing when you enter a fake found it log), your fellow geocachers may waste their time looking for the cache based on your false log.

I think though if you found a destroyed container or something else that positively can be identified as the cache, then go ahead and log the found it. I'm with RK on this. The point of the sport is to find caches, not logbooks. If I found a cache and the contents and logbook were missing I'd have no qualms about logging it as a find. I'd probably make my mark somehow. Maybe by leaving my name on a piece of paper or signing the lid or something along those lines.

BTW, if I had a buck for every time I was certain the cache was gone and someone found it days later I could take my wife out for a very nice dinner.

Edited by briansnat

Thanks for the feedback everyone -just wanted to know what the common practice is. Just so you know, there was absolutely nothing else around that could have hidden the cache -single bush in the middle of the desert besides a long stretch of open highway. But, just to make sure, I took pictures of the site and uploaded them to notify the cache owner and verify that it had indeed been swipped. The cache is in a different state, so probably won't get a chance to revisit for a while. So, I'll log it as a DNF. Thanks again guys, I'm impressed by how quickly all of you always respond.

The other nice benefit to logging a DNF is sometimes a nice hint or two will magically find their way into your email inbox  :ninja:

Yes, this is a very nice benifit of logging a DNF...had one that I DNF'd with a group, and got an email the next day from one of the other hiders offering a hint. Didn't take the hint but asked a couple of questions based on what I already knew about the cache and found it the next time I went back no problem (was a multi and wasn't certain the first time there was an acutal cache container or not :antenna: )

The first thing I learned after hitting these forums is that a DNF is not a black mark on your record...we all stink at caching sometimes :antenna:

Celticwulf