Car Adapter Keeps Blowing A Fuse In The Vehicle

Team_LPD

I bought the eTrex Legend package deal several months ago and today at work, the car adapter kept blowing the fuse in the vehicle. I would replace the fuse and plug in my cell phone charger and it would work fine. Plug in the car adapter and *poof*......blown fuse. Tried this in three different vehicles, same result.

Adapter does not appear to be damaged in any way, loose wires, etc. I sent an email off to Garmin, hopefully I'll get an answer soon.

There is a short causing the fuses to blow. If the fuse blows w/o your GPS being plugged into it the problem is in the adapter. You may be able to disassemble the adapter and repair it. If it blows only while attached to your GPS then your GPS is the problem. If you want to get rid of it, send me a email.

The etrex adaptors have some electonic circuitry inside that lowers the 12 volts from the car to a voltage the etrex requires. Most likely this circiutry has failed, rather than a shorted wire / cable. If your not trained in electronics I would recommend you find some one who is and have them trouble shoot and repair it. The device maybe damaged further if an untrained person were to open it and mess with the internal workings.