Department Of Veterans Affairs

Jeremy  Posted on Feb 1 2006, 02:32 PM

(The Blue Quasar @ Jan 28 2006, 11:52 AM)

I don't agree with the entire Groundspeak community being labelled guilty because of these few people that didn't think first, but expecting politicians to differentiate between Waymarking and Geocaching is like asking asking a five year old to differentiate between a Protestant and a Catholic. Sure, a few might know, most won't.

And I don't agree that a person laying on a grave with a GPS in his or her hand should be fined or jailed, while someone else wouldn't. I also don't agree with creating new laws when old laws work just fine.

Me neither.

Still can't expect a politician or any other person outside of the Groundspeak community to understand our activities without attempting to explain them. It's unfortunate that people as a general rule fear that which is unknown to them and abhor change.

She and others have no business attempting to regulate an activity when similar activities prosper unaffected (Grave Tours etc). In cases like that, they should consult or investigate further... so far it seems there hasn't been much in the way of research on her part. I get what she is saying, but it's narrow-minded at best.

I'm just glad to see that Jeremy seems to be presenting a "not backing down" approach on this one. The whole 'no virtuals' in National Parks thing made me think he would take the same approach with Waymarking... good on you that you're not.

Anyone can Waymark within the bounds of public respect, and there is nothing wrong with taking photos, even if it just for a :lol:

Is lying on a grave disrespectful...? I dunno... should it be illegal...? No, of course not.... that's why we have morals.... and the state shouldn't impose morals on people, people should impose morals on people. If they can tell me why it is or should be illegal, I'd be very surprised if it was realistic.

:lol: The Blue Quasar

edit: typos and I accidentally put HAS instead of HASN'T regarding research

Edited by The Blue Quasar

I'm sure I am not the only one who noticed the reference in the letter that Jeremy received to Catherine Ceips.

Am I remembering correctly that she's the one behind that bill in South Carolina that seeks to severely restrict Geocaching?

I have to say, as a 20+ year Army veteran, I found setting the GPS on top of someone's gravestone offensive. Veteran's grave or no. However, I deem holding your gps in the picture with the gravestone from a distance not offensive in any way.

Catherine Ceips is crazy man!! She's watching our every move.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

I have to say, as a 20+ year Army veteran, I found setting the GPS on top of someone's gravestone offensive. Veteran's grave or no.

I respect your opinion and appreciate your service. However, I don't see a connection between the two.

Oh, I just threw my veteran status in there because of a.) The title of this thread, and it's relation to the Medal of honors graves site Waymarking category and b.) Jeremy mentioned his armed forces service in his draft response back to the Dept. of Veterans Affairs. So I guess I'll just leave it at that I (like many others in the thread apparently) find the placing of the GPS (or any other prop for picture taking purposes) on someones headstone offensive, but yet would not be offended in the least with a GPS being held in one hand in the foreground, with the headstone in the background. And of course BQ, offensive is not illegal. No argument there :D

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

First of all, J, GREAT response. With your background you said things that few of the rest of us could have.

As the owner of the American Revolutionary War Veteran Grave category I'm a little offended that they don't seem to be able to see past Ms Ceips prejudice and see what we're doing as actually preserving these locations.

Maybe I should also mention that the Veterans in my home town are very excited about the possibilities of Waymarking. I've had some of them stop by my office to let me know where some graves are and one who emailed me a complete list of all Revolutionary War Veterans buried in Illinois. When I walk into the local restaurant I often have one or two of them ask how the "Internet project" is coming along.

I guess I'm just saying some people aren't that short-sighted. When a guy in his 70's from Hickville, Illinois who never "learned the computer" and doesn't know what a "GSP" does gets excited about something like this I think we're on to something good.

Bret

I have a lot of ancestors who fought in the revolutionary war and I would love to know exactly where they are buried. I would not be offended by a gps sitting on their stone. It's not like these are people that anyone alive today has ever met. I'd like to know the GPS coords for Joseph Bozarth among others.

I get the funny feeling that since Rep. Ceips did not expect the level of resistance that occured following the introduction of her bill, the discussion it has created, the reasonable rewrite that has since occured, and the possible feedback from her peers about how this took away time from real issues. She is trying to find other sources within federal government to bolster her position