Gpsr To Pocketpc Connectivity

I'm curious about people out there that are using handheld GPSrs along with software on their PocketPC (such as navigation software). If you are doing this, what hardware (GPSr and PocketPC) are you using and how are you connecting?

Personally, I'm using a Magellan MAP-330 GPSr and my Toshiba Genio e550G PocketPC. To make it work, I have the Genio serial cradle mounted in my Durango and it connects to the serial cable of the MAP-330 directly using a null-modem adapter.

My main issue is that I'd like to move to a newer PocketPC and/or GPSr -- but most of the PocketPCs today no longer have serial cradles and a lot of new handheld GPSrs no longer have serial output!

So -- that is why I'm very curious about other people's connections. If you are connecting your GPSr to your PocketPC, please tell me which models and how you have it interfaced.

Thanks!

- John...

P.S. Is Bluetooth the answer for the future of doing this? If so, why don't we see more GPSrs with Bluetooth? Do Magellan or Garmin currently have any?

Here is a link for the cables.

QUOTE (KA7CJH @ Dec 29 2005, 09:00 AM)

QUOTE (Alan2 @ Dec 28 2005, 09:21 PM)

Note that with NG Pocket PC, you can attach a GPS to the PPC to traack your current position on NG map in the PPC.

Is there a special cable that you use with a PPC? I am using an HP 1910 PPC.

http://pc-mobile.net/ might be one spot. What GPS do you use. Do a search on the web site.

--------------------

If you have a PPC with a CF slot you can get SIrfIII chipset GPS for $84. No cable required. No separate unit. Everything in one hand. Charge the PPC only required. http://store.yahoo.com/semsons-inc/bccoflgpsres.html

Also come with a PCMCIA adapter for you laptop, and remote antenna(which you don't really need) and a car mounting bracket for your PPC.

Edited by Alan2

I have Axim X50V and have used both bluetooth and CF units with BackCountry Navigator.

I prefer bluetooth because they work with an Otterbox and can be located for better reception. They are available at maybe ~$100 dollars at a store like BuyGPSNow.

I think the Pocket PC GPS units are preferable to messing with cables. BUt cables may not be so bad if you are in the car. I am usually on a trail or in a kayak. And usually in the rain.

Garmin has a bluetooth GPS receiver. I use the GPS 10 with my Dell Axim X50v.

Thanks, but I'm only really interested in ways to connect handheld GPSrs to a PocketPC. I don't want to carry two GPS units. I want to use one primary GPSr for everything (geocaching and navigation). I know of many other solutions (standalone Bluetooth or CompactFlash GPS units), but that isn't what I'm looking for.

Thanks though.

- John...

I have a sprint phone/pocket pc and I use a GlobalSat BT338 with it without issue. I can't begin to tell you what voice directions from the pda on Mapopolis wirelessly is like, you have to experience it for yourself. BT unit was only $120, I'd say go wireless if you ask me. These units are top quality.

Yes, I also love Mapopolis -- I use it on a regular basis. That's actually exactly why I started this thread -- because I want a new GPSr and a new PocketPC and want to continue using Mapopolis.

And, in the end, I just want one GPSr. I think it odd/sad that, it appears that without some odd hookups or expensive/hard-to-find custom cabling, it is difficult for someone today to make this work without having two GPSrs (one handheld and one exclusively for connection to the PocketPC that does it via Bluetooth or CompactFlash slot). :tired:

- John...

If you have a PPC with a CF slot you can get SIrfIII chipset GPS for $84. No cable required. No separate unit. Everything in one hand. Charge the PPC only required. http://store.yahoo.com/semsons-inc/bccoflgpsres.html

Also come with a PCMCIA adapter for you laptop, and remote antenna(which you don't really need) and a car mounting bracket for your PPC.

So then do you take your PocketPC with you when you go geocaching? That's exactly what I don't want to do and I am trying to avoid. We're in Michigan here -- climbing through snow to get to a geocache is not something I want to do with a new PDA worth several hundred or more. :tired:

- John...

Chevelle: I'm a little confused with what you want to do. I take both my PPC and my Vista into the woods. The PPC gives me paperless caching and displays 24K topo maps (NG Topo for Pocket PC's) and I can use the PPC or the Vista for navigation to the cache. If you want to protect your PPC in the woods, keep it in your pocket and pull it out only to veiw th cache page and hints. Use your regular GPS for naviagation.

In the car, I use the PPC with the Sirf III CF GPS plugged in while naviagating with Mapopolis. I also have a cable that connects my Vista to the PPC but I don't use it anymore since I have the CF GPS.

I hope that helps.

Chevelle: I'm a little confused with what you want to do. I take both my PPC and my Vista into the woods.

Sorry for any confusion. Here is what I want (and currently do -- but won't be able to easily do if I upgrade from what I've found so far):

1. I want one GPS receiver -- a handheld unit with a screen. Preferrably something like a Garmin 60C-line unit or Magellan Explorist of some sort. I don't want to have to have two GPS receivers -- such as one handheld for outside the car and one CompactFlash for inside.

2. I want to interface it somehow to a PocketPC running navigation software -- such as Mapopolis.

3. I don't want to take my PocketPC into the woods. I live in Michigan, geocache in the snow, and have no intention of taking a non-waterproof PDA worth several hundred while I'm wandering around looking for a box of trinkets. :tired:

That's all I want.

That being said, you are doing the 2-GPS approach -- which doesn't appeal that much to me for various reasons (1. I don't want to have to buy two GPSrs when either should be able to do the job. and 2. I take my PocketPC into and out of my car all time -- I don't want to be having to unplug and replug the CF GPS all the time.)

Note that your 1-GPS solution would be fine -- except that you are using an older Vista. None of the new Magellan units support NMEA output through a serial cable really -- so it isn't easy to interface to a PocketPC. On top of that, getting serial data into a new PocketPC isn't trivial any more either, unfortunately. Hence, my trouble finding a good solution to this. Again, what I have works fine -- but is old. I want a new handheld and new PocketPC. :blink:

Thanks though.

- John...

That's why I suggested a CF GPS. At 84 bucks it's only 39 more than a cable. It's just as easy to slip in the GPS into the CF slot as it is to hook up a cable to a GPS which you'll leave on your dash someplace. The CF slips into the PPC. Then you get a cheap cable about $15 for just power to the PPC from the lighter to keep your pPC charged while you're driving. A $50 cable is a waste of money as I know since I giot that first and then subsequently bought a CF GPS. I'd sell you mine but I still use it for the PPC power and charging.

Edited by Alan2
That's why I suggested a CF GPS. At 84 bucks it's only 39 more than a cable. It's just as easy to slip in the GPS into the CF slot as it is to hook up a cable to a GPS which you'll leave on your dash someplace.

I disagree. Currently, I simply drop the PocketPC into it's cradle in the car -- and drop the GPS into it's windhsield mount. Therefore, there is no connecting or disconnecting of cables or wires or anything else. Pulling/pushing a CF item out of and into a PocketPC in a daily basis is, in general, not a good idea as far as the CF port goes. And, would just be annoying. Plus, if I do what you suggest, it means also plugging in another cable (for power) each time I put the PDA in the car. So, I'd be going from just dropping the PocketPC into a cradle -- to plugging in a CF GPS and connecting a cable for power. That sounds like two steps backwards to me, not one step forward. :)

I'm just trying to keep it as simple as I have it now -- but with more recent hardware at both ends.

I actually already have a CF GPS unit -- I just do not want to have to use it because of the things I've mentioned above.

- John...

Whatever makes you happy. That's what makes a horse race. Just for the record though, I've been popping in my CF GPS for two years now, plus I sometime pop in a CF memory card and haven't had any problems with the PPC. Plus now my CF GPS is a SIRF III the best avauilable for sensitvity. But if you find the other setup easier, great! :grin:

Edited by Alan2