1 City Select Cd, 1 Gps, 2 Computers?

switchdoc

Hello all!

I recently bought a laptop and a Verizon Broadband access card to take my paperless geocaching to the next level. My ultimate goal is to be in a situation where I can download maps, waypoints, etc from anywhere on the road.

In setting this up it seemed like a great idea to throw the City Select V6 CD onto the Laptop as well, but I forgot all about the unlock code stuff.

Looking over Garmins help files I see that there have instances in place where you can use 2 GPSr's with the software (they give you two free unlock codes) but I can't tell if you are allowed to use the same CD in two different places, even though its with the same GPS.

I know in most cases you aren't allowed by normal software license agreements to install the software on more than one machine, but the unlock code thing, and the fact that its still going to the same GPS kinda makes me think you are allowed to.

But, I can't find a yes or no anywhere on Garmin's site.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Yes, you can load the City Select mapping from the CDs on multiple computers, but as you stated you only have the two unlock codes with which you load mapping onto two GPSrs. I have CS on 3 machines; at home, and on two computers at different field offices in case I need to load mapping from any location. You can view the mapping on any, just can't load to any other GPSr than ones you have codes for. Hope this helps.

My understanding is that you can load the software on any number of computers, but they only allow you to load it on two GPSrs. There is no limitation in the process to do this. You simply load it on the other computer, go through the unlock wizard and manually input the 25 digit unlock code.

My father-in-law and I are doing something similar to what you describe. He put my copy of City Select on his computer with the unlock code for my 60cs. His two interests are oil and gas leasing and geneology. When he finds a gas or oil well site, or a cemetery, listed on the internet with coordinates, he can input the coords in Mapsource, then e-mail me the file. I can then upload the waypoints and we can go find them--sort of like geocaching, but for different things!

MapSource Maps on your hard drive. Neo Geo is a brain. I used the registry edit technique on my desktop and my lap top. The software "lock" limits you to 2 GPSr, but not to the number of computers you load it onto (assuming that they are all your computers--please don't pirate software). Loading the info onto your hard drive eliminates the need to swap CDs.

Edit: The link is really helpful only for Topo CDs. I don't think you need the CS CDs one you load it onto your computer.

Edited by Sputnik 57
MapSource Maps on your hard drive. Neo Geo is a brain. I used the registry edit technique on my desktop and my lap top. The software "lock" limits you to 2 GPSr, but not to the number of computers you load it onto (assuming that they are all your computers--please don't pirate software). Loading the info onto your hard drive eliminates the need to swap CDs.

Edit: The link is really helpful only for Topo CDs. I don't think you need the CS CDs one you load it onto your computer.

You can also do it by copying the files to a folder on your hard drive prior to installing it. then install it from the folder rather than the CDs.