2 Rino 120's Give Different Readings

I've got 2 RINO 120's, and each of them give different readings while in the same spot.

Example...

43 26.551

93 13.445

the second at the same spot will read

43 26.571

93 13.431

It's not too big of a deal, but it's hard to teach the class when they aren't on the same page, when realistically they should give the same exact reading...

Anyone have any clue why they would give different readings?

I agree with Sputnik 57 that the set-up is different. However, if that does not solve the issue then four additional possibilities come to mind.

1. Reference Datum

2. Firmware version

3. Satellite WAAS almanac data update

4. Battery charge level

5. Internal antenna defect

If it isn't the reference datum or firmware, then make certain the batteries in both units are at the same high level of charge. Enable WAAAS and take both units outside. Page to the satellite view screen and check/compare signal levels of received satellites. Check that the units are both receiving WAAS corrections as indicated by the small "D" included in the satellite strength bars. If not, confirm that both units are receiving the appropriate WAAS satellite(s), numbers are West Coast =47 & East Coast =35

We use a couple of Rino 130's which are basically the same as the 120 but with a little more memory and a compass. Good units, they should be within whatever the current limits of accuracy exist for the satellite constellation existing at the time you compare them.

Let us know what solves the problem! I had one with a bad antenna a short while ago.

Jim

MagicTogether - Alaska