Camera For Cache Bag

Thrak

I've often wished I had a camera with me when caching but I don't want to carry aound my current camera in the cache bag. It's a bit heavy and also I don't want to trash it. What do you use for a caching camera? I'd like a small, durable, inexpensive digital camera that I can toss in my cache bag and not have to worry about it getting trashed. I don't need professional quality pics but I don't want garbage pics either.

Any recommendations?

dollar-mart has semi disposal cameras for $20-$30. They hold very few pictures (10-20) and the resolution could be better. They are cheap, effective, and no big loss if you drop it in a creek.

Edit: dollar mart = k-mart/walmart/target/walgreen's/CVS/and a maybe even few grocery stores.

Edited by Moose Mob

Ok,

What's your price range?

How many megapixels do you want?

If you want simple cache pictures to post on the web - anything over 3 megapixels is overkill.

The point is for it to be a disposable camera - if it falls in a puddle or gets banged up you shouldn't have a heart attack about trashing it and buying another one.

You could also use your cell phone.  Those cachers with a Zire 71/72 could use that.

I don't have a cell phone - I freaking HATE phones! - but I have considered getting one specifically for caching. I've found myself in some places where I'd like to let somebody know where I was and where I figured if I got hurt I would really need to be able to contact someone. I hadn't considered a phone with a camera but I guess that many of them do have that capability. How are the pictures?

I guess it depends on your definition of inexpensive, but I've been singing the praises of the Pentax Optio 43WR ever since I got mine. It's out of production now, but they are always on eBay. It has 4 megapixels, a 2.8x optical zoom, optical viewfinder, and it's waterPROOF. (In spite of the "water resistant" graphics on the front, it is water proof; it has a JIS Class 7 rating.) It has rubber corners to absorb impact. It is more likely to survive being dropped in a creek than about any other camera out there. I wear mine around my neck when I'm kayaking.

ZO43A.JPG

I just got my hands on a Polaroid i832. 8MP (I can lower the resolution for GC pics.) Very small, and I've only had it for a few days but really like it.

It was $150 at Wally-world, normally $300.

The thing eats batteries like nothing I've seen before, so getting some rechargeable batteries is a must.

Cell phone camera pics stink unless you shell out a lot of money (and then the camera/phone is fragile, and the pics still suck). BUT, I recommend having a cell phone with you while caching, especially if you cache alone more than .25 from the car. You can get a plan for 19.99 and a free phone at most dealers (and get a Nokia if you can as they are tougher - DO NOT get a motorola - very fragile, for the most part).

Anyway, I use a Canon Digial Elph, which I love for caching. Quality is very nice, it's very small and light, but at about $200, it may not be "disposable" (at least for me, anyway). My boyfriend uses a Fuji Finepix that cost about $100 - takes nice pics, a little bulkier than mione, but still light and nice for the cache bag.

Cel phone pics aren't great, but they get better and better every year. I was playing with one at the Verizon store the other day that had a 1.3 mp camera with flash and used a mini SD card for easy transfer of pics. Certainly, that's not a great camera, but considering that I never forget my phone, but always forget the camera, its pretty good.

PM'd you.  :unsure:

Nikon CoolPix 2500.  Cheap/Tough/Rechargeable!

I checked these out and they are indeed very affordable on e*** but...... it seems that they use a proprietary rechargeable battery and many if not most of the used ones for sale need a new battery which runs around $30. One of the reasons I'm a Garmin fan for my GPSr is that I can run it on AA batteries. I'd like to stick with units that all run on the same type of power. If I'm going to spend $40 - $50 plus shipping for a used camera and then have to spend another $30 plus shipping for a battery I might just as soon double the amount and get a new camera that uses AA batteries. It would also be a plus to get one that uses the same Smart Media that my current camera uses so I don't have to get a new card reader - I prefer to do that rather than use the camera's power to download directly to the computer.

Many thanks for the recommendation and the PM - it got me looking in other directions than I had been and thinking about more aspects of what it is I may or may not want. I really don't actually want to have anything else to lug along with me but I do seem to keep wishing I had a camera when caching.

Cache bag, GPSr, stick, glasses (they have to go off and on), now thinking of camera and cell phone. I may even need to get a mini recorder to play the Indiana Jones song when setting out. :( Sheesh, where's my Batman utility belt?