Cacher Of The Month Announcement

Deego

Its the last few days to get your entry in for the December 05 CoTM table, which will be the last one I do :laughing:

Due to increasing work loads, both at work and other projects I am involved in, I have decided that I will not be running a Cacher of the month table for 2006. I would like to take this opportunity to thank all the people that have entered over the past 2 years, without you there would have been no table.

I will still be updating the Hall of Fame and the UK records page . I will also be doing a 2005 table over the next few weeks (after the December table is published).

I have thought long and hard about this but it’s the only thing that I can do to ensure I can still get a few caches done here and there.

If anybody wishes to take it over, then please let me know. I can add a link to your pages and can tell everyone via email that it will live on.

Thanks again to everyone who entered.

Firstly let me thank Deego for doing this for the past couple of years. Though never being a contender we always enjoyed seeing where we finished each month.

Secondly I fully understand your reasons Brian - been there...etc.,

Thirdly for a change I can agree with Moote :lol: I am sure someone will be along to take on the task for us...

Any takers? :laughing:

although a relative newbie to caching, I too would like to say an enormous thank you to Brian for his sterling work. :lol: It will indeed be an enormous disappointment not to be able to check to see whether we are even in the top half of cachers each month, but we must give brian the chance to find SOME caches!

Seriously, thanks for the hard work, maybe in the future we can come up with some automated way of doing it! :laughing:

Dave

Investigations into an replacement are under way.

Hopefully with a web front end, to reduce the human effort required.

More news when we've got some progress

Cheers

Stuart

Oh before anyone jumps in saying Sock Puppet. StuartP, is looking at this with myself and maybe a couple of others if there are any takers

Moote

Sinks to knees in slomo, camera smoothly pans up, looking down on my up-turned face: "Nooooooo!!!"

Ah well, every party has to come to an end, and at least this one hasn't involved a fist-fight or vomit - as far as I know. Thank you very much for running it for the last couple of years Brian, I've always enjoyed taking part. Should you feel you'd like someone who's been a keen supporter of it in the past to take over, I am available. :lol:

I understand how work can get in the way of caching (I've another article to finish before the weekend, I've just discovered. Who'd have thought there was a real word for a sexual attraction to sausages?) and support your brave decision to pack it in and spoil other peoples fun :laughing:

Cheers again!

SP

Camera pans quickly across a lush green field, shot widens and widens to a fast approaching hill, reaches hill summit to reveal a running SP, arms in the air, we hear his sweet baritone voice bellow "The hills are alive with the sound of CoTM".

The GeoChat nuttas are working hard at filling Deego's shoes seamlessly*ahem*.

Watch this space.

P.S. StuartP was the founder of GeoChat so he is an official nutta :laughing:

Edited by The Hokesters

Big thankyou to Deego for all the hard work he's put in over the last couple of years :laughing: .

Sorry to hear you've had to pack it in but I'm sure everyone understands.

Suppose you're gonna have a go at breaking all the records now you've got some spare time? :D:lol::D

Good to hear there are some generous people looking into keeping it going ;)

Thanks again Brian ;):huh::o

Thank you, Brian, for all the effort you've put into CoTM over the last few years! I'm not into numbers myself (time would be a fine thing!), but I've entered regularly because I thought it was a great idea and worth supporting. Ironically I shan't be able to enter your final CoTM, as I didn't manage a single cache find in December.

Hopefully the plans to keep CoTM going will bear fruit. :)

Right okay, here is my very much work in progress solution that uses PHP/MySQL.

http://www.aebrookes.co.uk/cotm/index.php

Feedback and comments much appreciated.

Latin Bad! :) Rest good :D:D

Seriously though, it does look very good especially considering the amount of time you've had. I'm more than happy with it, let's see what everyone else thinks. :D (graphics look impressive and proffesional to boot).

I wish I knew more about webstuff so I could volunteer, unfortunately I don't, so all I can offer is my time to sift through e-mails etc (if thats any help?).

Many thanks for all the hard work.

Have sent my last stats in just to secure bottom spot for December.

I know how much work all this is having done the dustoff scores during the last year and that list isnt half as good as yours.

As someone who has actually met brian i can confirm he does carry a spare trigpoint with him as well as patching compound and a trowel :) and allthough he may win trigger of the month cacher of the month may be beyond him :huh:

I'm continuing to make progress with my CoTM system, http://www.aebrookes.co.uk/cotm/index.php.

I've now got all the previous entries into my database so you can view previous months results. Took me a few hours with some playing around with Microsoft Excel and some PHP scripts. This is the key step towards making CoTM easier to look after. (Note to Deego: Is it okay for me to copy your data like I have?)

You can view individual profiles of users to see how many times they've taken part, totals etc.

The next thing I'll be doing is making it so users can login and add their results into the database.

Regards,

Adam

Looks good to me. Taking the data is also ok with me :lol:

If you drop me an email (deegoguk at aol.com) I can send the entrys for december (table closes on the 15th) as an xls file and will link from my site to yours ????

How about a year table ? see 2004 year table I was planning the same for 2005

Looks like I can go caching next weekend ;):D :D

Edited by Deego

Doesn't seem like a silly question. Integrating into GCUK would seem like a sensible option, but since Deego is involved with GCUK I would have thought this would have been considered before. Maybe their agreement with Groundspeak is quite restrictive.

Deego you can email be at adam.brookes at gmail.com. Are you going to continue to look after the UK records list and the hall of fame?

Regards,

Adam

Ps. Did you get my email Moote?

Edited by adambro
How about a year table ?  see 2004 year table I was planning the same for 2005

Done, see http://www.aebrookes.co.uk/cotm/year.php?year=2004. Also, if you look at http://www.aebrookes.co.uk/cotm/year.php?year=2005 you'll see the stats for 2005, just missing the results for December.

Now i'm going to add a link to expand each of the tables to see all results not just the top ten.

May be a silly question but could this take info direct from gc.com or gcuk of uk cachers and remove the need for any other work at all,or would that be too easy?

As gcuk have permission to read Groundspeak's database maybe an arrangement could be made...

Yes, good suggestion because the number of caches found isn't truly the number of caches you have found, it appears to be the total number you have submitted whilst entering the COTM competition.

It's quite impressive though - good work Adambro!

Firstly, congrats and coms to Deego for the work put in.

Secondly the linking with GC.com could prove interesting as it may show a 'who's hot, and who's sadly lagging behind', if it is done on a yearly basis with the ability to have a form table extraction month by month.

Worth exploring to bring it up to another league so to speak, and not just repeat what has gone before (however good).

May be a silly question but could this take info direct from gc.com or gcuk of uk cachers and remove the need for any other work at all,or would that be too easy?

As gcuk have permission to read Groundspeak's database maybe an arrangement could be made...

There are member's only caches and non-Uk caches, which contribute towards COTM but are not on GCUK. There's also the travel bug points, which are not in GCUK either.

T

As Tigger says not all caches are/were counted on G:UK locationless/members only/ caches out of the UK. plus I wanted it to be enter when you want to enter, so email seemed the best way at the time. Using php makes it more dynamic than Html (do you give lessons :D )

Yes I will still be doing the UK records and Hall of fame.

I have a suggestion, but feel free to say if I'm out of order.

The reason Deego can't do it anymore is because of the time it takes up to manually put it all together. Adambro has put something automated together with a dtabase and scripts.

Perhaps if Adambro could assist/provide the code and database to Deego, the COTM could still live on, in the same place as the HOF and records page?

Just a thought.

T