Aircraft Remote Area Crash Sites

Dupiedoo

When GPS units started to come available, I always thought a cool adventure would be to hike into a remote area where an aircraft would have crashed. I don't know if they always remove all debris from the remote crash sites or not. Also, I don't know if there would ever be any access to records, (Civil air patrol or FAA), for coordinates. I know quite a few small planes have gone down in the North East mountain areas alone.

If there are any remains, it would be cool to locate and document as virtual cache sites.

With the salvage price of metals now, Im sure they are picked clean.

Would be a great adventure. Even just seeing others photos and histories of the crashes would be interesting.

I wouldn't publish a crash site, because I don't want more people there. I tend to place caches in areas that can handle the traffic, that I think are worth sharing. :D

Your right, I wasn't thinking of the normal geocaching folks. I was also thinking of areas that might take quite a bit of bushwacking to get to. I guess the tougher it would be, the bigger the adventure. Alot of people I see on this forum site seem like they would be the type to respect the location and be careful. But as a general rule, it would not fit as a geocaching location.

Can't seem to find it right now but there is one in Northern Colorado - up high in the mountains.

And Warthog down mentioned above - apparently there is still quite a bit of debris there. I couldn't quite make it the time I tried. Rough hike.

Unfortunately, Co. is out of the way for me right know, but that is the type of adventure I'm talking about. Maybe there could be a higher risk types of geocache locations not recommended for the general geocacher. The fun is in the approach and hunt / find.

What I have learned about some military crash sites in California, is that their locations are kept secret by Aviation Archeologists. They figure that they spend hundreds of hours researching old crash documents, and spend countless hours in the field. They don't believe someone who hasn't "put in the effort" should be given the crash locations.

I have three locations marked, and plan on returning to place puzzle caches. The puzzle will be to figure out the crash locations like I did.

One is on top of a mountain http://www.qnet.com/~carcomm/wreck25.htm

and the other two are in the middle of the desert.

http://www.check-six.com/Crash_Sites/XB-70_crash_site.htm

http://www.check-six.com/Crash_Sites/YB-49_crash_site.htm

I wouldn't publish a crash site, because I don't want more people there.  I tend to place caches in areas that can handle the traffic, that I think are worth sharing. :D

:D I guess from looking at all the cool photos and cache descriptions that my mind has been twisted by too much time in the city.:D

Thanks all for the reality check! :D I'm going for a hike!

I wouldn't publish a crash site, because I don't want more people there.  I tend to place caches in areas that can handle the traffic, that I think are worth sharing. :D

:D I guess from looking at all the cool photos and cache descriptions that my mind has been twisted by too much time in the city.:D

Thanks all for the reality check! :D I'm going for a hike!

I would find it extremely interesting to be able to locate the site of an aircraft crash. I have been wanting to do some research on a local crash that wasn't far from my home apparently in the very early days of aviation. I don't know why it be problematic to visit and publish the location especially if it is on public land.

This is all really exciting stuff. I don't know about the rest of you but I didn't realize all this info was there already. I'm somewhat new to the geocaching scene. I can't wait to see the follow-ups as they come in. It seems alot of other people will be excited as well.

Too bad travel has to be so expensive. It would be fun to find out about one that no one found yet since the original recovery and organize a date / time for a group hunt. Would be a great time.

This is all really exciting stuff. I don't know about the rest of you but I didn't realize all this info was there already. I'm somewhat new to the geocaching scene. I can't wait to see the follow-ups as they come in. It seems alot of other people will be excited as well.

Too bad travel has to be so expensive. It would be fun to find out about one that no one found yet since the original recovery and organize a date / time for a group hunt. Would be a great time.

There have probably been recent crashes in your area. Outside of Geocaching, I've been to two crash sites and recovered the pilot's remains from a third crash. All were in the mountains of King County, 1989-2000.

What I have learned about some military crash sites in California, is that their locations are kept secret by Aviation Archeologists. They figure that they spend hundreds of hours researching old crash documents, and spend countless hours in the field. They don't believe someone who hasn't "put in the effort" should be given the crash locations.

They are also leery because they don't know *who* might get the coordinates - respectful seeker or ravening looter. (And nowadays - idiots who will try and sell the stuff on eB*y.)

Myself, I can respect their viewpoint - A few years ago I met a diver who was so proud that he was recovering 'valuable historical artifacts before Mother Nature consumed them'. In other words, he had a bunch of rusted and barnacle encrusted crap on the wall of his garage that even he couldn't remember where he got it from.

This is all really exciting stuff.  I don't know about the rest of you but I didn't realize all this info was there already.  I'm somewhat new to the geocaching scene.  I can't wait to see the follow-ups as they come in.  It seems alot of other people will be excited as well. 

Too bad travel has to be so expensive.  It would be fun to find out about one that no one found yet since the original recovery and organize a date / time for a group hunt.  Would be a great time.

There have probably been recent crashes in your area. Outside of Geocaching, I've been to two crash sites and recovered the pilot's remains from a third crash. All were in the mountains of King County, 1989-2000.

My home area is actually Southwestern PA.

That has to be a tough job recovering the bodies. Sorry you had to do that.

Marshall University Football Team

This cache is located outside of Huntington WV home of the Marshall University Thundering Herd.

At 7:40 p.m. on November 15, 1970, a chartered aircraft carrying 70 team members and fans plus five crewmen, crashed due to rain, fog, and smoke. The tail of the plane reportedly hit the hilltop west of the cache site, causing the plane to crash. There were no survivors.

It's all fun and games until a 12 year old girl finds a charcoled foot. :laughing:

Happened to me in the Poconoes with my older brother. We were camping near Pecks Pond and hiked up to a radio tower where a plane had crashed. We were poking around the crash site and I found it. I will never forget it or the smell.

Geez I'm all smiles today aren't I? Sorry. But it was pretty gross. About a week or 2 later one of the boys in my neighborhood was out with a magnifying glass burning ants and the smell was almost the same.

This one is just south of Northampton MA, in the Pioneer Valley. I lived there and visited the site BC (before cacheing). It's a very touching memorial.

Mt Tom B-17 Memorial Cache.

Editing to add (which I PM'd to Salvelinus) that it's just a little creepy that he posted his link to a crash of an outbound flight from Westover AFB, while I was searching for the cache page to my link to a crash of an inbound flight to the same base.

Edited by wimseyguy
Check this other NY Catskill photo from the link above...

2dfe0e31-b33a-4212-b1e3-3a07e0f83c48.jpg

Since you can see the tail number of that plane, I was able to look up the cause of the crash. It's amazing what you find on the intenet. :laughing:

----

NTSB Identification: NYC83FA125 .

The docket is stored on NTSB microfiche number 22913.

14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation

Accident occurred Thursday, May 26, 1983 in HAINES FALLS, NY

Aircraft: PIPER PA-28-140, registration: N1316T

Injuries: 1 Fatal.

ON THE PREVIOUS DAY, THE PLT HAD FLOWN TO POUGHKEEPSIE, NY. BEFORE HE DEPARTED ON THE RETRUN TRIP, THE MANAGER OF A FLT SCHOOL INFORMED HIM THAT THE WX WAS BAD; HOWEVER, HE TOOK OFF AT ABOUT 0912 EDT. WHILE ENROUTE, THE ACFT COLLIDED WITH TREES NEAR THE TOP OF MOUNTAINOUS TERRAIN AT AN ELEVATION OF ABOUT 3400 FT. AFTER IMPACT WITH THE 1ST TREE, THE ACFT CONTINUED ABOUT 500 FT BEFORE IT CAME TO REST IN THE WOODED AREA. NO EVIDENCE OF A PREIMPACT, MECHANICAL FAILURE WAS FOUND. STATE POLICE OFFICERS FLYING IN A HELICOPTER REPORTED HEAVY RAIN & LOW CEILINGS IN THE AREA. ABOUT 34 MI NORTH-NORTHEAST AT ALBANY, NY, THE 0948 EDT WX WAS: ESTIMATED 1000 FT OVERCAST, 6 MI VISIBILITY WITH FOG, TEMP 55 DEG, DEW POINT 54 DEG, WIND 60 DEG AT 10 KTS, BREAKS IN OVERCAST WITH HIGHER CLOUDS VISIBLE. THE PLT PREVIOUSLY HAD A STUDENT CERTIFICATE, BUT IT HAD BEEN REVOKED BY THE FAA FOR VIOLATIONS.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows:

PROPER ALTITUDE..NOT MAINTAINED..PILOT IN COMMAND

CLEARANCE..MISJUDGED..PILOT IN COMMAND

FLIGHT INTO KNOWN ADVERSE WEATHER..CONTINUED..PILOT IN COMMAND

Contributing Factors

PREFLIGHT PLANNING/PREPARATION..INADEQUATE..PILOT IN COMMAND

OBJECT..TREE(S)

TERRAIN CONDITION..HIGH TERRAIN

WEATHER CONDITION..CLOUDS

WEATHER CONDITION..LOW CEILING

----