Mac Users Rejoice, Garmin Announces Full Support

tflight

Mac users have lots to cheer about today, Garmin has announced full support of all software and hardware by the end of 2006.

Garmin Announces Mac Support

“We are very excited to be supporting the many tech-savvy Garmin users who are also Mac devotees,” said Min Kao, Garmin Ltd.’s chairman and CEO. “Mac users have been encouraging us to make our GPS units Mac compatible, and we’ve listened. We hope this brings the many benefits of GPS to current Mac users and invites future Apple customers to the Garmin fold.”

Yes, they are not changing the devices just making mac versions of the software that now only runs on Windows.

Edit: they're starting with the fitness software (the Forerunner software and Motionbased etc.) and by the end of 2006 everything should be in Win and Mac (including nRoute and Mapsource)

Edited by HugoOne
Haven't read the link yet. Is there "back compatibility"? I.e. I bought an Etrex earlier this year. Will it be Mac compatible?

I would suspect that it will be compatible, however I haven't seen anything to suggest they are guaranteeing any kind of backward compatibility.

Not sure but may only work on the new Intel based Macs.

It shouldn't make any difference. I suspect they would develop it so that it is universal binary and thus run under rosetta and thus work on all 10.4 macs. I would guess it may be awhile before devleopers start making applications run only on native "macintel" systems.