Star Trib. Article On Geocaching

Celticwulf

In case anyone is interested, a new article has just been printed in the Minneapolis Star Tribune about Geocaching:

http://www.startribune.com/462/story/173541.html

Was interesting because we actually had the reporter along for one of our WeekNIGHT caching trips with people from the MNGCA, so she got a good feeling for what this is all about. Although I feel kinda dumb because I didn't realize I was quoted in the article until someone else pointed it out to me :unsure:

Celticwulf

Edited by moderator.

From the Forum Guidelines:

Sock Puppet accounts will not be allowed. A sock puppet is an account made on an internet message board by a person who already has an account for the purpose of posting anonymously. Use your own account for posting personal opinions. Posts from known sock puppet accounts will be deleted and both the puppet and actual account may be banned from using the services of Groundspeak.
Edited by CYBret

I live in Minnesota, and I am a Geocacher, but I am not part of the MNGCA.

I choose not to get invovled with the organization because of all the drama that seems to be involved. I like to go out and have fun, not hear about who done who wrong.

Perhaps this is something the organization should consider when airing their personal problems on a public forum.

Edited by SnowLeopard

OK, now I'm getting really PO'd here :D

I post a link to a POSITIVE article about Geocaching in Minnesota, and somehow a few individuals take it upon themselves to put down the one organization in Minnesota working to make geocaching better in the state. I don't know if there are other organizations in the state, but when I started Goecaching I saw this organization (MNGCA) and checked it out. A small group of volunteers are taking thier time away from Geocaching to try to work with the state and various parks to make them open up to geocaching, and all a few people can do is bash these people. And they can't even just keep it in a small group, they have to publicize it everywhere.

To Snowlepard: I'm sorry you feel that way about the MNGCA, but I have yet to see any of the main people involved in making things better air any drama in these forums. The only time I've seen this happen is when others attack the MNGCA, and shouldn't we expect some response to this? All I know is that I've met a lot of good people through Geocaching and through events organized by the MNGCA, and we've gotten a very positive article posted about one of those events.

Can everyone please stop trying to bashing others in this thread, and instead just read the stinking article and see if it's good or not :D

Celticwulf

I've got to say the MNGCA has done alot for the sport in MN. The week nightcachers are a great group of people very intent on helping new cachers, making friends, enjoy a hobby (or hobbies (BEER)) and promoting Geocaching. I for one am glad they are there and thnak them for all of their hard work.

I have traveled regularly to Minnesota on business for the past 2 years. The members and leadership of MNGCA have welcomed and adopted me as one of their own. These people give an incredible amount of their personal time toward improving the condition of Geocaching throughout the state, both in terms of relations with parks and other state organizations that might be affected, and also in terms of welcoming any and all geocachers to the game to keep it growing.

As an "outside" observer, my take is that those introducing all this "drama" are working to be destructive to these efforts, not constructive.

To those discouraged about the MNGCA because of all this "drama", I would tell y'all to chalk it up to the actions of a destructive few. Enjoy geocaching in Minnesota, and if you choose to get to know some of the leadership of the MNGCA, I believe you'll find they're a group of folks who are in it "for the good".

-Dave R., Biloxi, MS

Edited by drat19