The Grand Experiment - Geocoin Giveaway

Go JayBee

:( I have my first E mail and will be sending a Feb Geocoin club coin :P I hope it gets registered and sent out to view the world. Still waiting to see if the person I asked to see 3 out in caches is willing to do it for me. :D

If that person falls through, I would be glad to drop the 3 into caches around here. I am about ready to send out my second set for the experiment.

The coins are on their way. :P

Thanks!

I have afew caches already in mind for them.

I just heard from one of our members in PA that they thought a Grand Experiment "cache" coin was stolen from a cache. I remember reading another thread here which mentioned the fact that "trackable" coins were being hunted down by using the search function for caches with coins logged into them....pointing out that it is much like pointing a big neon arrow on the cache, advertizing its contents.

It occured to me that if a coin were just "physically" placed into the cache and NOT released from my "inventory"...it may have a better chance of actually surprizing the next finder. If I mention the coin in the Paper LogBook at the cache, then the finder can contact me. I can then virtually place the coin into the cache after the fact...so that the mileage will be accrued and the finder can place it into their inventory for transport to the next cache.

Now we get to Non-trackable Coins...which may actually have an advantage in that they don't get advertized on the cache listings. If a goal tag is attached stating that the coin is to travel or be traded as swag...there will be a higher probability that the finder will actually send me an email to thank me.

You might think that this method is just a tiny bit "deceptive"....but I think it is worth it if it helps keep the coins alive and traveling.

I have also found someone to distribute to Egypt, South Africa, Mexico, and Portugal. I may also have a couple going to Iraq for our troops there to discover (I emailed a few people stationed there). EDIT: WE HAVE 3 STATE COINS GOING TO IRAQ for our Service People Overseas!

EDIT: WE HAVE 3 STATE COINS IN IRAQ AND IN A CACHE (Baghdad Stonehenge)!

Thank you very much, Rose, since you made some folks very happy over here. On top of that, you sent along pre-made caches to place. Bless your heart!

I would like to send a coin to IRAQ and also a couple to AFAGHANISTAN (in honour of some Canadian soldiers and a diplomate that were recently killed and injured there trying to help re-build the country). Maybe also as good luck for the one that looks like he won't make it.

Email me for address if you are still interested in getting one to Iraq.

I just heard from one of our members in PA that they thought a Grand Experiment "cache" coin was stolen from a cache. I remember reading another thread here which mentioned the fact that "trackable" coins were being hunted down by using the search function for caches with coins logged into them....pointing out that it is much like pointing a big neon arrow on the cache, advertizing its contents.

It occured to me that if a coin were just "physically" placed into the cache and NOT released from my "inventory"...it may have a better chance of actually surprizing the next finder. If I mention the coin in the Paper LogBook at the cache, then the finder can contact me. I can then virtually place the coin into the cache after the fact...so that the mileage will be accrued and the finder can place it into their inventory for transport to the next cache.

Now we get to Non-trackable Coins...which may actually have an advantage in that they don't get advertized on the cache listings. If a goal tag is attached stating that the coin is to travel or be traded as swag...there will be a higher probability that the finder will actually send me an email to thank me.

You might think that this method is just a tiny bit "deceptive"....but I think it is worth it if it helps keep the coins alive and traveling.

Lets see if I understand... basically you are suggesting that the coins still be physically left in caches, but that they not be reported as being in the cache? Then have the person finding the coin contact the owner or previous finder to drop it so they can pick it up?

How about having the finder 'grab' the coin, drop it, and then retrieve it?

I know that at least twice someone has visited a cache I left a TB/coin in before I was able to log it as being in that cache. I know the most recent time there wasn't any other trackable in the cache to have been hunted.

Personally I think that removing the inventory listing from the query listings would probably be sufficient to curb such actions. I don't think that many of these people would bother looking at the detail pages of every cache in their area to see if it has inventory.

Lets see if I understand... basically you are suggesting that the coins still be physically left in caches, but that they not be reported as being in the cache? Then have the person finding the coin contact the owner or previous finder to drop it so they can pick it up?

How about having the finder 'grab' the coin, drop it, and then retrieve it?

I know that at least twice someone has visited a cache I left a TB/coin in before I was able to log it as being in that cache. I know the most recent time there wasn't any other trackable in the cache to have been hunted.

Personally I think that removing the inventory listing from the query listings would probably be sufficient to curb such actions. I don't think that many of these people would bother looking at the detail pages of every cache in their area to see if it has inventory.

We also have to remember that not everyone is a thief. Some people, like myself, purposely go after caches with bugs/coins in them.

I run PQ's to look for such caches.

We also have to remember that not everyone is a thief. Some people, like myself, purposely go after caches with bugs/coins in them.

Eric K...

I was not accusing everyone being a theif....but was trying to come up with a simple solution to avoiding the coin hounds. I am sure that even yourself would be very happy to find a coin in an un-expected location. It adds to the "unknown" aspect of caching..."life is like a box of chocolates...." :mad:

Eric K...

I was not accusing everyone being a theif....but was trying to come up with a simple solution to avoiding the coin hounds. I am sure that even yourself would be very happy to find a coin in an un-expected location. It adds to the "unknown" aspect of caching..."life is like a box of chocolates...." :mad:

I think then you would also run the risk that folks may think that coin is a 'prize' since it's not listed as being in the cache.

I guess you may want to determine how many of the coins in the experiment have gone missing.

Well, I have 3 more "cache coins" ready...they are going to Belgium (thanks to Borontoo). I have been watching quite a few of the "Experiment" Coins that have gone to Europe. Those seem to be having a good track record of actually moving around. I have a USA GeoCoin which was activated in the UK...it has been traveling for nearly one year...that is great to see.

I also have 3 "spawner" coins looking for a home.....Minnesota, PDX (Portland, OR), & Oregon 2004....Any takers?

i really want to join in but i still dont understand it :lol: sorry i know im not the brightest penny :P

Ive got 6 coins here on my desk if i mail 3 coins to my friend ChucKremer over in the USA (im in UK) for him to release now what do i do with the 3 coins i have left? do i send them to you Go Jaybee and you send me the 3 you have or am i getting this bit wrong?

Please be gentle with me as new to this. I have got my 3 coins ready

to go to my choosen cacher tomorrow now i have my 3 "spawner" coins

here they are The Definitive Geocoin series Geocacher (2 silver)

Geocaching (3 bronze) Geocache (1 gold) anyone want them?

I'm ready to send more coins to foreign countries. Please contact me if you want coin to your countrys caches. At the moment I have coins in the countries so please do not contact me from those:

Finland

Japan

South-Africa

Germany

The Netherlands

Canada

Sweden

France

Denmark

USA

New Zealand

Australia

Czech

Thanks!

Still looking people who would be interest to place some of our coins.. if your country is not in the list and you want to place our coin in cache please send us e-mail

Edited by Fundamental and Venlis

I'm gonna send 3 coins to Hungary tomorrow. Hopefully also 3 coins to Switzerland. Still looking for more countries I haven't sent any coins yet..

Here is my grand experiment coins so far:

#1 South-Africa (Alabama)

#2 South-Africa (Frozen Bone)

#3 South-Africa (Ontario)

#4 Japan (Finland)

#5 Sweden (Not Another Micro)

#6 Canada (Cat)

#7 Australia (Grand Canyon)

#8 USA (Florida Landmark)

#9 USA (Cat)

#10 UK (Phone a Friend)

#11 Hungary (Balla & Silly)

#12 Hungary (Balloon)

#13 Hungary (Cachehunters42)

Edited by Fundamental and Venlis

Have a quick question. I have two new coins (a WSGA member coin that I'll need to attach a bug tag to, and a Mulder coin that'll be trackable). Are folks drilling holes in the coins or labelling them specially to try to keep'em moving ?

I still have 2 "spawner" coins left which are looking for a home.....Minnesota, & PDX (Portland, OR)....Any takers?

Oh....now we are becoming coin snobs...huh? Won't even take a free coin cuz it don't have no stinkin icon?

If you haven't found a home for your spawners yet, we'll take one. ;)

We have already sent all of ours out.

Thank you very much for the offer....I did find some recipients for those coins and announced that about 2 posts up from yours. Don't want to discourage anyone...keep up the good work.

Have a quick question. I have two new coins (a WSGA member coin that I'll need to attach a bug tag to, and a Mulder coin that'll be trackable). Are folks drilling holes in the coins or labelling them specially to try to keep'em moving ?

Drill em' if you think that is the right thing to do. Also, attach a goal tag similar to this for "non-trackables"

Congratulations:

You have found a Grand Experiment GeoCoin.

You may keep this, or pass it along…

It is not trackable on Groundspeak…but I would appreciate an email to: geo-nick@donno.com to let me know of its location.

Cacher name…..from My Town, USA

Here's the version I use for "trackables".....

Congratulations:

You have found a Grand Experiment GeoCoin.

Please help keep this Coin moving, share it with others…It is trackable on Groundspeak…please log its travels @ www.geocaching.com ….........you may also send email to: geo- nick@anydomain.net .

Cacher name…..from My Town, USA

Edited by Go JayBee

you need 6 coins activate 3 and send them to a cacher who will place them in a cache. then you put the other 3 coins up as spawner coins which 3 different people will email asking if you can send them the coin.......... job done its great fun

Ok , what do I need to do to get involved in this or am I too late? Do I need to buy 6 new coins? Do I activate them or leave them unactivated. Could someone pm me and explain it to me?

Join the group....it is all explained there. See the link below...

Looking for:

One cacher to take 3 coins and place them in caches

and

two cachers to take one coin each (Third is already on it's way to Finland (F&V))

They will all be Partners in Caching coins

I got your Doggy Coins and have packed them up with Goal Tags....planning on releasing them into caches this coming weekend.

Looking for:

One cacher to take 3 coins and place them in caches

and

two cachers to take one coin each (Third is already on it's way to Finland (F&V))

They will all be Partners in Caching coins

If you are still looking for help distributing your coins, we will happily set them on their way in the UK for you