The Grand Experiment - Geocoin Giveaway

Go JayBee

I want to thank everyone who has been working so hard on this project with me so far....looks like we have coins going to Australia, Finland, South America, Netherlands, United Kingdom, and across the USA.

All I can say is: WOW....all of you folks ROCK!

Hey Jaybee, You forgot about mine going to:

Portugal, Iraq, and Egypt. I think I also have a couple going to Mexico too! Now if I can just get someone from South America (Brazil, French Guyana, etc) to respond...

~Rose

And I sent some to Germany too!

I'll join in - if I get this right people send me three unactivated coins that I put in the wild.

I send three unactivated coins to other people, hoping they'll also put them in the wild.

Please correct me I'm wrong.

So - I'd like any coin for which I don't already have an icon.

I'll come back with what I can send out...

Haggis Hunter, Nellies Knackers

Basically, here's how it works (many of us are still trying to fulfill part 1):

This is a grand experiment in hopes of getting coins into caches. For those meeting both part 1 & part 2 below, they will be able to purchase a special coin (one per person). If you wish to participate fully, then please register for the yahoo group at:

The Grand Experiment database

Part 1. You find someone who is willing to place 3 coins into caches for the finders to either keep, or pass along. Preferably that person already has those coins, so will not be tempted to just keep them. There is no obligation with this part other than to actually place the coins into caches.

NOTE: Accepting the 3 "cache" coins does NOT qualify you in any way...the "sender" is the only one able to claim that as Part #1. (this is what we're running out of people to do and why I made the posts to different country forums)

Part 2. You send out the 3 "spawner" coins. Now this part gets tricky because you are trying to find someone who does NOT have those coins. The recipient of the "spawner" is under no obligation to send out any coins...but this is the incentive for them to participate in the project. They can certainly use the "spawner" coin as part of their "cache" or "spawner" obligation in order to qualify for the privelige to purchase the Special Project Coin.

I hope this helps - if you're still confused, please let me or Jaybee or someone know. We'll try to help.

~Rose

I'll join in - if I get this right people send me three unactivated coins that I put in the wild.

I send three unactivated coins to other people, hoping they'll also put them in the wild.

Please correct me I'm wrong.

So - I'd like any coin for which I don't already have an icon.

I'll come back with what I can send out...

Not exactly.

Kitty Hawk, they send you 3 ACTIVATED coins to put into caches.

If you want to get 1 coin that you don't have to keep/register for your own, that would be UNACTIVATED.

So, those that are distributing send:

3 activated for the other party to put into caches

and 3 (one per person) for those to continue the game on.

I have only just found this thread and damned if I am going to read the whole thing :)

I live in New Zealand and would love to recieve some geocoins from overseas- prefer activated ones that I can release for you.

PM or email me if you are interested.

Cheers, ssarc

OK I think I have got the gist of this, the actual owning of coins is something that I don't go out of my way to do, despite having a few. But I do go out of my way to find them, so with that in mind, I am happy to receive any activated coins, for distribution in Scotland. I hope this helps others?

Like Haggis Hunter, I'm happy to distribute coins into caches (I live in Edinburgh, Scotland, too). Not sure if I understand the system that's being proposed (even though I've read the instructions!!), but glad to help out. Maybe I can get HH to explain it to me when we meet in a couple of weeks at the next Scottish Geocachers' day Out (SGDO :)

Edited by Firth of Forth
You could always choose to send three coins to another country where coins are not seen very often. We are willing to distribute.

Greetings from France, where coins are as rare as hen's teeth.

I'm not sure I've understood all the finer points of the challenge (in the 10 seconds since I landed in this thread, having been directed here by Phoenix-Rose's post in the French forum). But I can guarantee that any coins which I receive will go into genuine French caches very quickly.

If by some chance they are of an icon type which I don't already have, that would be even better.

I also have a German coin which I could trade, if anyone needs something in return.

Nick, from darkest France.

I have only just found this thread and damned if I am going to read the whole thing :grin:

I live in New Zealand and would love to recieve some geocoins from overseas- prefer activated ones that I can release for you.

PM or email me if you are interested.

Cheers, ssarc

If you do not want to read the entire thread....click on the link in my signature line...

I've followed the link in the sig.

The instructions are atrocious, to say the least - and I can't help but wondering if they are deliberately so.

That - plus

In order to qualify for the Special Group Coin purchase
mentioned here, plus the effort that someone has gone to to publish all these links has got my scam-detector quivering.

There are plenty of coins in the wild - any of us here would be willing to distribute them. There is no need for this wierd tiered distribution system - unless it really is part of a scam.

Ok I'm done sending coins for a while.. but there's plenty of others here who can send them.

For now, I'm broke - and out of coins to send! (note that several of these are 1 coin each so... ) Here's where all they're going:

United Kingdom

France

Germany

Estonia

Portugal

Germany

Egypt

South Africa

Iraq

Mexico

United States

I think I've done my part to cover the world .. I'm just missing Australia/NZ and somewhere in South America to send them. (when I get more coins, I'll be in touch with people from there...) :grin: Can you say I went a *little* overboard?

~Rose

PS: Jaybee, I think we have lots of people willing to distribute - hope you don't mind!

Edited by phoenix-rose

The instructions are atrocious, to say the least - and I can't help but wondering if they are deliberately so.

That - plus

mentioned here, plus the effort that someone has gone to to publish all these links has got my scam-detector quivering.

There are plenty of coins in the wild - any of us here would be willing to distribute them. There is no need for this wierd tiered distribution system - unless it really is part of a scam.

Hi Kiwi,

I actually know both these guys personally that are working on a coin. I would reassure you it's not a scam, but since I'm the one that registered and posting on the NZ boards, I know that my reply will be just as subject to skepticism.

I'll try and simplify, but really, the only thing I wanted when I posted was people to simply put coins in the wild - that's all. (as in person A below) So if you're not interested in doing the rest, that's just fine.

In a nutshell, here's how it works (simplified):

Coin owner sends out 3 activated coins to one person or persons. (we'll call them person A) for distribution into geocaches.

Coin owner sends out 3 other coins to 3 other people (not activated, one each) - persons B,C, D. Persons B,C, D can keep the "incentive" coin to add to their collection, register or whatever. It's an "incentive" that they will take 3 of their owned coins in hopes of putting them in the hands of someone else to start the cycle again.

The Yahoo link is simply to keep track of who's participating/sent coins to whom/etc.

If you accept 3 coins to distribute into the cache (as in you're being person A) you do not need to do anything else other than put them into caches.

If you're being person B, C, D, and accepting an "incentive" coin, we'd like to see you continue the cycle. Only the persons "B,C,D" would be eligible for the special coin to be made. The coins will be available to the first 100, only one coin per person.

The thing to keep in mind is that for those of us sending out coins, we are doing it in hopes of making more coins available. There are roughly at least 50 different icons out there for individual coins, but most of the coins (for example, US state coins all have a different icon) are never seen because they have gone straight to collections. It's our way of trying to help out fellow geocachers.

~Rose

I will release any activated coins that anyone worldwide would like to send me into the wild here in the UK.

I am not a collector of coins and I will not keep your coins. Can't see what all the fuss is about really. To me coins are just like Travel Bugs, Find em, log em, pass em on.

Send me an email through my GC.com profile if you want an address to post to.

That - plus

You don't have to join.....your choice.....there is no scam involved....only in your own paranoid mind. :grin:

EDIT to thank Rose for being far more patient than myself...You all have the right to your opinions..I guess I get a little thin-skinned when the word "scam" is used twice in the same post. :lol:

Edited by Go JayBee

That - plus

I have to tell you that I appreciate your thoughts and comments but your paranoid for noreason. There is no scam involved, I appreciate that there is plenty of coins floating around caches in NZ, the same cannot be said for North America.

I invite you to read through the first six pages of this thread and you may think differant about what the objective is. There is no intent to defraud or scam anyone.

I still need two people to send my last two coins to.

I haven't seen it stated recently but you could activate it and turn around and use it as one of your first 3 coins or not activate it and use it as one of your second three coins and, either way, get in The Experiment by only contributing an additional 5 coins instead of 6. Of course, you could keep it and turn over 6 coins to continue or just keep it and do nothing extra.

It really makes no difference to me, I just want to finish the requirements at my end.

Available coins are:

non-trackable on Geocaching.com:

Opticsboy

Cachers4Christ

Canada

Canine Cachers version 2

lowracer

Sunshine Gang

Trackable:

2006 USA

manituela silver

neilsenc Caching Around the World

neilsenc Thanksgiving

Wisconsin

AARG - minor hijak here because I got a warning from a thread:

Your Grand Experiment topics spread all over the forums are spamming.  I am deleting some and locking the rest.  Please keep this in mind as you use the forums in the future.

I replied:

Thanks for the heads up, however, I disagree.

My reason for posting the same in English was because I was translating many of the threads into the "native" languages in hopes of being able to send more coins worldwide.

Thanks anyhow.

~Rose

Anyone see any wrong here - since I know that not "everyone" speaks English and/or was translating the thread (English at top then Spanish/French/etc) at the bottom in the individual forums? I mean I feel like the only way to get the message out is to make the details available to everyone that we're trying to distribute - and in their own language.

I mean I can *kind* of see the point, but somewhere I would hope that the moderators would be leniant - for the good of the experiment - and understanding for why it was the same "english" text but different language translation.

GERR...

~Rose

*Wearing her "slap" with pride

Getting us back on track and out of whine mode, I think I might have 3 California coins going to some Switzerland caches. That will be cool to see if they move around. Once I get that taken care of, I'll post here for takers of the other 3 individual coins. :laughing:

--Marky

Well the three coins I sent to Australia have arrived and will start circulating this weekend. I have also sent another 3 around the UK.

The ones I have received so far have also been let loose so all has started well for my part in the experiment.

I took an extra initiative and sent 3 more coins onto France (they should arrive there by the weekend) and am letting another 3 go here in the UK again.

Lynn

I can place 3 coins in Sweden, the Stockholm area, so if you have coins you want to spread, e-mail or PM me.

Myself, I like the idea of finding something special or unusual in a cache, and I don't think we have a lot of such caches in this area. I'm sure other cachers feel the same.

Greetings

I can place 3 coins in Sweden, the Stockholm area, so if you have coins you want to spread, e-mail or PM me.

Myself, I like the idea of finding something special or unusual in a cache, and I don't think we have a lot of such caches in this area. I'm sure other cachers feel the same.

Greetings

If you send me your address, I'll send you a couple of coins to activate and set free.

:):blink::)

edited: for spelling...

Edited by hobbycache
Looks like we are safe from policy restrictions...near as I can tell...new policies going into effect as of 18 Jan, 2006.

We can now type the "E" word...and we can actually sell stuff for a profit....oooohhhh....aaahhhh

But ONLY if its a trackable coin.

That means we won't be able to mention anything more about the possibility of that award coin for participants here.

Non-trackables can be for TRADE ONLY.

Looks like we are safe from policy restrictions...near as I can tell...new policies going into effect as of 18 Jan, 2006.

We can now type the "E" word...and we can actually sell stuff for a profit....oooohhhh....aaahhhh

But ONLY if its a trackable coin.

That means we won't be able to mention anything more about the possibility of that award coin for participants here.

Non-trackables can be for TRADE ONLY.

It IS a trade only coin. You trade you generosity and work and you get a coin.

:):):):):):blink:

I wanted to give a shout out to CENT5....15 coins sent out for cache placement....plus the 3 for "spawners"....thats a total of 18 coins that have been released for the GeoCoin GiveAway Project by one individual.

This is a record that is going to be hard to beat....

Good work...CENT5...we applaud you

Hooray for him!

Also, thanks for listening to my whine. Sorry for the hijak above, it was just kind of frustrating/surprising.

I can distribute to caches here in Utah if anyone wants to send me a coin, and in the next 2 weeks, I'll be driving from Utah to Georgia, so for those of you wanting to have coins dropped along the freeway, I think we may be able to arrange something like that.

~Rose

I just sent out some more coins.

So far,

Round One:

3 to caches

1 to "gift" + 1 cacher (I decided to send 2 instead of one to the giftees -so they can cache one)

1+1

1+1

That's 9

I am also on the list to recieve one or two -- so there's another 12 to send out. I have one person in Austrailia that I'll send some to (4) and would love to get some folks in Asia, Europe and Africa. Anyone? anyone? 8 coins here, 8 coins! (you have to cache one and keep one - so I am looking for 4 people in distant lands) -- Hawaii would also be cool. New Zealand? South America? anyone?

Edited by Lemon Fresh Dog