The Grand Experiment - Geocoin Giveaway

Go JayBee

Damenace,

Thanks again for setting up the group and database......I have modified my Profile to include the link to the group (I copied and pasted from one of your posts)...

I am web challanged at times..but I can figure out a few things here and there...it is nice to have someone like you around.

Checkout my "tagline"?...if thats what you call it?

It did not work...going back to the drawing board...

It worked.............

Edited by Go JayBee
Damenace,

Thanks again for setting up the group and database......I have modified my Profile to include the link to the group (I copied and pasted from one of your posts)...

I am web challanged at times..but I can figure out a few things here and there...it is nice to have someone like you around.

Checkout my "tagline"?...if thats what you call it?

It did not work...going back to the drawing board...

It worked.............

Not a problem, I am glad that there is more and more people participating in this experiment. I will edit my signature line as well to reflect the link to the group.

I sent you an e-mail concerning the group, please let me know.

LadeBear68, I'd say it will depend on where you're sending it.

If the package is going to Europe, send something that is going to be less common in Europe (so not the EU coin). If you're sending to Middle East (as in my case) I decided not to send the Merry Christmas Geocoin (it would be rare, but it wouldn't fit since lots of people are Moslem and I'd be concerned with offending those that have Ramadan instead of Christmas.

Also, since I'm sending 3 to Iraq, I decided our soldiers would like to see something that is from "home" as in the state coins (I'm sending Alabama, North Carolina, and Iowa there).

So, when you figure out where you're sending them, you can pack and ship as appropriate. Also, for those shipping, my personal suggestion - Don't forget to include your sig item!

~Rose

GeoCoin GiveAway Guidelines

The basic premise is to get coins "into the wild".....

There is an element of risk involved relying on "Blind Faith"....(And no I don't mean Stevie Winwood, Ginger Baker, and Eric Clapton) :P

In order to qualify for the Special Group Coin purchase, you must complete both parts of the GeoCoin GiveAway...only do 1 part?...no coin...

The 6 coins involved, do not have to be identical...

As far as USA Coins, and trackable vs non-trackable goes...no restrictions apply. The consensus is that for the "cache" coins..."activate" them first before sending. For the "spawner" coins...treat those as you would for any trade...don't activate.

You may enter as many times as you wish...(I have 2 entries right now)...

Please realize that you will only get one(1) comemerative coin in the end. So if you chose to sign up more than once this does not get you more than one coin, after all what good are traders to someone that never participated?

Part 1. You find someone who is willing to place 3 coins into caches for the finders to either keep, or pass along. Preferably that person already has those coins, so will not be tempted to just keep them. There is no obligation with this part other than to actually place the coins into caches.

NOTE: Accepting the 3 "cache" coins does NOT qualify you in any way...the "sender" is the only one able to claim that as Part #1.

Part 2. You send out the 3 "spawner" coins. Now this part gets tricky because you are trying to find someone who does NOT have those coins. The recipient of the "spawner" is under no obligation to send out any coins...but this is the incentive for them to participate in the project. They can certainly use the "spawner" coin as part of their "cache" or "spawner" obligation in order to qualify for the privelige to purchase the Special Project Coin.

I hope this provides the answers to the many scenarious that have been discussed so far.

See my signature line below for a link to the Yahoo Group...

Edited to add clarification of number of entries allowed...

Edited by Go JayBee

There is an element of risk involved relying on "Blind Faith"....(And no I don't mean Stevie Winwood, Ginger Baker, and Eric Clapton) :P

In order to qualify for the Special Group Coin purchase, you must complete both parts of the GeoCoin GiveAway...only do 1 part?...no coin...

As far as USA Coins, and trackable vs non-trackable goes...no restrictions apply. The consensus is that for the "cache" coins..."activate" them first before sending. For the "spawner" coins...treat those as you would for any trade...don't activate.

Part 1. You find someone who is willing to place 3 coins into caches for the finders to either keep, or pass along. Preferably that person already has those coins, so will not be tempted to just keep them. There is no obligation with this part other than to actually place the coins into caches.

NOTE: Accepting the 3 "cache" coins does NOT qualify you in any way...the "sender" is the only one able to claim that as Part #1.

Part 2. You send out the 3 "spawner" coins. Now this part gets tricky because you are trying to find someone who does NOT have those coins. The recipient of the "spawner" is under no obligation to send out any coins...but this is the incentive for them to participate in the project. They can certainly use the "spawner" coin as part of their "cache" or "spawner" obligation in order to qualify for the privelige to purchase the Special Project Coin.

I hope this provides the answers to the many scenarious that have been discussed so far.

The only thing I don't see covered is any sort of time restrictions. How long will this expirament run for. How long do you have to qualify for the special participant coin?

As far as USA Coins, and trackable vs non-trackable goes...no restrictions apply. The consensus is that for the "cache"  coins..."activate" them first before sending. For the "spawner" coins...treat those as you would for any trade...don't activate.

The only thing I don't see covered is any sort of time restrictions. How long will this expirament run for. How long do you have to qualify for the special participant coin?

In my opinion this experiment will run until we have at least 100 people that have completed the two parts to this experiment. Shortly after that we will determine a time frame to shut it down, if it goes over that then this is OK, we will mint the amount of coins needed to fill the order.

This is true, but please realize that you will only get one(1) comemerative coin in the end. So if you chose to sign up more than once this does not get you more than one coin, after all what good are traders to someone that never participated?

Ive accepted all the collection coins Im comfortable accepting for now, unless someone wants to be generous :P but seriously, I have connections and the ability to get coins placed in caches in Colorado, Alabama, Louisiana, and possibly Texas. So if you would like to have coins go any of those places please contact me.

Thanks

Z

I have send my 3 individuals, will be sending out the group of 3 on monday (prepping them for travel)

I also will have a standing offer to be a coin placer for the 3 into cache coins if anyone would like them to visit the great state of Wisconsin. I would also do as LFD has offered, for any coins I receive as singles, that if I had that coin I would place it into a cache, if I didn't, I would place another coin.

This is true, but please realize that you will only get one(1) comemerative coin in the end. So if you chose to sign up more than once this does not get you more than one coin, after all what good are traders to someone that never participated?

Good point there Damenace...I had not even thought of that. I'll have to make that point very clear in the pinned topic at our group.

I have one coin spoken for, waiting on a cacher to reply to a coin offer, and waiting for someone to take a Maryland Coin.

Techmage - I'll take the Maryland coin.

I'd like to activate it and see if it can get from California to Maryland.

I think I may need to offer up something besides the Canine Coins. Lemme see what else I have....

There is an element of risk involved relying on "Blind Faith"....(And no I don't mean Stevie Winwood, Ginger Baker, and Eric Clapton) :laughing:

As far as USA Coins, and trackable vs non-trackable goes...no restrictions apply. The consensus is that for the "cache"  coins..."activate" them first before sending. For the "spawner" coins...treat those as you would for any trade...don't activate.

Please realize that you will only get one(1) comemerative coin in the end. So if you chose to sign up more than once this does not get you more than one coin, after all what good are traders to someone that never participated?

Wiz Creations...read this

There is an element of risk involved relying on "Blind Faith"....(And no I don't mean Stevie Winwood, Ginger Baker, and Eric Clapton) <_<

Wiz Creations...read this

I did read that, and I didn't see it specify if someone (let's say me) can email even though I don't have coins to give to others. I just wanted to be sure... :laughing:

I don't have any coins to send out, but I'd be happy to receive coins to place in caches.

Do you have to have coins to give to email someone requesting for 1 of the second set of 3 coins?

If someone is willing to send you a coin to distribute and actually place it in caches then that is up to them.

However the whole point is to get coins back into caches, this is not a thread to get free coins to add to your collection. The one coin you receive from someone is suppose to encourage you to repeat the two steps required to complete this experiment.

So in my opinion if you do not plan to send coins back out then this experiment isn't for you. I will repeat what I have said to avoid confusion, only you know what your intentions are.

Please remember that many people that are participating have invested $100's alright $1000's of dollars in collecting coins. You can get away with as little as $30.00 to participate, however many people are sending out $50.00 to $60.00 worth of coins, this is what they paid for them, this doesn't include that "one" place.

I hope this clears it up, if not please feel free to email me by clicking on the e-mail button in my profile. I will gladly work with you to get any confusion cleared.

Edited by Damenace
Okay then. I know that a lot of money goes into coin collecting. I just wanted to help get coins out into caches.

You can help, some people have purchased 2006 USA Geocoins for $5.00 dollars. This doesn't have to be expensive, and in the end you will be helping get coins back into caches.

Edit:

I just checked the database and to date there have been 57 coins released into the wild.

Edited by Damenace
I have one coin spoken for, waiting on a cacher to reply to a coin offer, and waiting for someone to take a Maryland Coin.

Techmage - I'll take the Maryland coin.

I'd like to activate it and see if it can get from California to Maryland.

I think I may need to offer up something besides the Canine Coins. Lemme see what else I have....

It's all your's! Nice goal too!

Still have the following:

a. GGA 4th anniversary coin.

b. A 2005 Washington coin.

Hi,

I emailed re the GGA 4th anniversary coin.

(I know I know I said I wouldn't take any.. and if it's got a home already cool. If not, well.. I've been trying to trade for that one for MONTHS, and yes, I've even hit that eB*y place to try and get one!)

~Rose

Thanks LadeBear68! I'll figure out another one to launch on your behalf. Where would you like it go go? Apparently, I now have contacts the world over willing to put coins in caches (yes, even NON-English speaking ones!).

Ask and Ye shall receive! (If anyone else needs people to send out to, and you want them going international - let me know - I might be willing to put you in touch with the appropriate parties and/or act as a go-between since some people don't feel comfortable posting here due to language difficulties.)

Also, for those of you whom want to see the coins I've released -

Check out the ones labeled "GRAND EXPERIMENT"

I think that should we discuss making a coin for this, the "theme" around the edge should be:

The Grand Experiment: Covering the world with coins "IN" caches!

How's that for a goal? Too Lofty?!?

Yep - that's how I was doing it too, but I figured that if I didn't "take" one, that would leave more for those for incentive to "start".

But you know.. Since you're having trouble getting "rid" of that GGA coin, well.. I figured... uh.. Ya.. I could help you out there.. he he he....

:blink::tired:

Plus, if I launched another couple coins in the wild I wouldn't feel so bad about adding that *1* to my collection - especially since it's a little piece of "home". (for those of you who don't know, I grew up in Georgia...)

Also, I made a few posts to other "international" boards to have people come check out this thread - I figured if we do want to cover the world in coins, well.. we may need some assistance distributing.

~Rose

Yep - that's how I was doing it too, but I figured that if I didn't "take" one, that would leave more for those for incentive to "start".

Also, I made a few posts to other "international" boards to have people come check out this thread - I figured if we do want to cover the world in coins, well.. we may need some assistance distributing.

~Rose

Rose,

You ARE the best....thanks for taking this Project International.

I wish we had more folks as enthusiastic as you are........ :tired:

~Rose

Rose,

I wish we had more folks as enthusiastic as you are........ :P

Pardon me, but I'm sending my 3-coin allotment to Australia (pre-Rose), and a 4th single coin to South Africa (thanks to Rose sending 'em here).... :P

~Rose

Rose,

I wish we had more folks as enthusiastic as you are........ :P

Pardon me, but I'm sending my 3-coin allotment to Australia (pre-Rose), and a 4th single coin to South Africa (thanks to Rose sending 'em here).... :D

I had mine 3 coin package going to Finland way back in the begining! :D:)

(I think he meant she went international by posting on the other forums about the project... :P )

Does anyone know any cacher from Japan that understands english? I'd love to send one geocoin to Japan. My plan is to send 3 coins to South Africa, 1 coin to Canada, 1 coin to South America and one coin to Japan.

I will go to the other forums and post a request to said a coin to an Asian Country, I would like to send one there as well, so if I hear from someone willing to help I will let you know.

I want to thank everyone who has been working so hard on this project with me so far....looks like we have coins going to Australia, Finland, South America, Netherlands, United Kingdom, and across the USA.

All I can say is: WOW....all of you folks ROCK!

Hey Jaybee, You forgot about mine going to:

Portugal, Iraq, and Egypt. I think I also have a couple going to Mexico too! Now if I can just get someone from South America (Brazil, French Guyana, etc) to respond...

~Rose

I think about 30? That's rough counting though.

For those of you interested, I have now been bombarded via email and have far more people wanting to distribute coins than I have coins to distribute. So, I've told them I will post their ID and location here. They all do read/speak some English (maybe just don't feel comfortable coming to this forum), so let's get those coins out there (Yes, I even had to answer a few questions for what geocoins ARE):

geopeitur301 - will distribute to Estonia (there are few caches and no geocoins there - great place to send a few!)

West468 - will distribute to Münster, Germany area

hikerbiker - will distribute to Finland

Team Firefox - will distribute to Finland

MAntunes - will distribute to Lisbon Portugal area (you may want to PM him - our email keeps filtering both my email and his responses for some reason)

Pablo Davalos - will put them in Mexico

Ok so this is a partial list... but I'm sure I will add to it. I have posted to Greece, United Kingdom, France, and New Zealand as well.

** Note that most of the above would prefer geocaching.com trackable coins just for ease of translation/tracking use, though they will gladly accept what they can get.

~Rose