The Grand Experiment - Geocoin Giveaway

Go JayBee

Booo--hoo---hoo....Santa doesn't like LFD.....

ANY-how,

1) Herd idea -- steal away! (can I get one :D )

2) LE coins and Award coins are not really the same

BOT (Back on Topic)

I think the folks recieving the free coins should be obligated to send out 6 of their own. It's your way of "paying" for the coin and shows commitment to the experiment. Otherwise, we will soon become the "free coin" thread. (also, people appreciate things more if they have to earn/pay for them)

However, it's not my experiement -- so you get to make up the rules. I'm just happy to have the 9 Red-Handed's going to 3 good homes and 6 good caches.

So what if you want to play this game but you dont have any geocoins yourself? Can only those who already have coins participate in this? Sorry I'm still a newb.

Might as well send some coins to those who have none yet. Sent email requesting you to release my three into the wild. Also: I don't find any harm in making you a recipent of one of the 3 give-aways. Set 3 free and keep one.

Who wants the other 2? I'm not saying what coins they are - that will spoil the surprise. Besides, I don't care if you already own one or not!

Having fun already. :D

I'd like one if possible. If I have it, I'll release it, if I do not have it then I will release another in "honour" of the coin.

In fact, I'll make this a standing offer to anyone that would like coins to be released here in Calgary/Rocky Mountains.

okay LFD, email sent - Done Deal.

One more left... anyone?

Edited by hobbycache
So what if you want to play this game but you dont have any geocoins yourself? Can only those who already have coins participate in this? Sorry I'm still a newb.

Might as well send some coins to those who have none yet. Sent email requesting you to release my three into the wild. Also: I don't find any harm in making you a recipent of one of the 3 give-aways. Set 3 free and keep one.

Who wants the other 2? I'm not saying what coins they are - that will spoil the surprise. Besides, I don't care if you already own one or not!

I'd like one if possible. If I have it, I'll release it, if I do not have it then I will release another in "honour" of the coin.

In fact, I'll make this a standing offer to anyone that would like coins to be released here in Calgary/Rocky Mountains.

(edit) actually -- I will release 6 coins! for the one! Standing offer gone, standing offer gone! hahaha :D

So.... now I need ANOTHER person to take 3 MORE red-handed coins into the wild and 3 more folks to recieve them.

That's a total of 15 releases since I woke-up 6 hours ago!

Edited by Lemon Fresh Dog

BOT (Back on Topic)

I think the folks recieving the free coins should be obligated to send out 6 of their own.  It's your way of "paying" for the coin and shows commitment to the experiment.  Otherwise, we will soon become the "free coin" thread. (also, people appreciate things more if they have to earn/pay for them)

However, it's not my experiement -- so you get to make up the rules.  I'm just happy to have the 9 Red-Handed's going to 3 good homes and 6 good caches.

LFD...I guess you do have a good point there. I was reacting to earlier posts which I was reading as "What's in it for me?"

Without trying to sound like a pompous a**......I don't expect anything except knowing that I'm getting some coins out there without making folks buy them or have to trade for them. I'd rather see someone have to walk a few miles and find it in a cache...but there are some folks out there that are not physically able to do that.

Don't get me wrong...I love trading. That's the primary reason for getting my coins made. I've had alot of offers from folks wanting to buy my coin and had to turn them down unless they had a coin which I was looking for.

I figure its only 6 coins...a very small contribution when you look at the big picture. The monetary value of the coin is outweighed by the joy it could bring to that lucky finder. If I never get that commemorative coin it won't bother me in the slightest. That was just a fun little side thing I thought about.

Without trying to sound like a pompous a**......I don't expect anything except knowing that I'm getting some coins out there without making folks buy them or have to trade for them. I'd rather see someone have to walk a few miles and find it in a cache...but there are some folks out there that are not physically able to do that.

Don't get me wrong...I love trading. That's the primary reason for getting my coins made. I've had alot of offers from folks wanting to buy my coin and had to turn them down unless they had a coin which I was looking for.

I figure its only 6 coins...a very small contribution when you look at the big picture. The monetary value of the coin is outweighed by the joy it could bring to that lucky finder. If I never get that commemorative coin it won't bother me in the slightest. That was just a fun little side thing I thought about.

I couldn't agree more -- the idea is to add an element of fun, excitement and discovery into the hobby. Once I send them out, caches or cachers seeing them and having fun is both my motivation and reward.

I've emailed 3 geocachers (all folks that I noticed in the Geocoin forums that I felt had done something nice or might not have been able to get the coin I'd like to give away). I hope to hear back from them confirming that they do not have the coin.

Now . . . Just so I'm clear on the next step.

Do I put 3 coins in caches or do I send them to someone that I trust will place them.

Cheers!

Jeff / drexotic

okay LFD, email sent - Done Deal.

One more left... anyone?

I can't wait for my husband to get home to tell him all about this! Bella (AKA Andromeda for caching), got her first wooden nickel today from Mikefromtheburg. We were so excited! We've also received a signature card from fajita &shu! I'm now working on something special in return!

Thank you for this opportunity!

Been trying to follow the thread....do all 6 coins have to be the same?

No they don't have to be, but they can be. :D

At least my 6 will most likely not be the same. I hope that is ok.... :D

Can the 3 that the cachers get to "do with as they please" be non-trackable or trackable on another site?

To just be clear I activate the 1st 3 that are all sent to 1 cacher to be set free but not any of the other 3. RIGHT??

I don't believe any of the coins need to be the same, It is my understanding that they could 6 different coins.

btw, still waiting for the 3 individual coin e-mails

Also I will be glad to place coins in caches from anyone in the Madison WI area.

edit: ok, waiting for 1 e-mail now.

hobbycachegirl - 3 coins to release

dhenninger - 1 coin

UOTrackers -1 coin

????? - 1 coin (not requested yet)

Edited by Not So Lost Puppies
1.    Can the 3 that the cachers get to "do with as they please" be non-trackable or trackable on another site?

2.    To just be clear I activate the 1st 3 that are all sent to 1 cacher to be set free but not any of the other 3.  RIGHT??

Trying to figure things out too:

1. Yes, we think so as those coins can be kept by that particular cacher to do with as they please.

2. No idea, but think so. Can anyone verify this please.

1.    Can the 3 that the cachers get to "do with as they please" be non-trackable or trackable on another site?

2.    To just be clear I activate the 1st 3 that are all sent to 1 cacher to be set free but not any of the other 3.  RIGHT??

Trying to figure things out too:

1. Yes, we think so as those coins can be kept by that particular cacher to do with as they please.

2. No idea, but think so. Can anyone verify this please.

I'd say if you are sending a trackable coin out into the wild to be kept by the finder....then, no don't activate it.

If you would like to track it like a Travel Bug, then yes by all means...activate it.

Go to the main site, select "Track Travel Bugs", so an ADVANCED search, select by KEYWORD, type in "Go Jaybee's Experiment"

;)  :D  :(  :D

Following your lead on this LFD. it will make it easy for others to follow the experiment. :(

If the receiver of the 3 would like, they can adopt one of them for the owner icon ;)

I like this idea, I will be doing ht esame for the activated coins I send to Prague. Please remember that those who participate, you are asked to join the Yahoo Group by going to The Grand Experiment - Geocoin Giveaway . It is free and it is a way to track who is involved. As mentioned previousely if there is enough people that choose to participate there there will be a coin minted to honor those who helped return coins back to caches.

Alright here we go, my three coins will be the GAA LE Geocoin numbers 17, 18. and 19. I ask that you do not already have one of these coins in your collection. The first three people to email me will receive one of these coins.

Go to the main site, select "Track Travel Bugs", so an ADVANCED search, select by KEYWORD, type in "Go Jaybee's Experiment"

Following your lead on this LFD. it will make it easy for others to follow the experiment. :(

If the receiver of the 3 would like, they can adopt one of them for the owner icon ;)

I like this idea, I will be doing ht esame for the activated coins I send to Prague. Please remember that those who participate, you are asked to join the Yahoo Group by going to The Grand Experiment - Geocoin Giveaway . It is free and it is a way to track who is involved. As mentioned previousely if there is enough people that choose to participate there there will be a coin minted to honor those who helped return coins back to caches.

Alright here we go, my three coins will be the GAA LE Geocoin numbers 17, 18. and 19. I ask that you do not already have one of these coins in your collection. The first three people to email me will receive one of these coins.

OOPS can I request that you put in the body of the e-mail that you would like one of the GAA LE coins?

OOPS can I request that you put in the body of the e-mail that you would like one of the GAA LE coins?

One coin going to Ladebear68

One coin going to UOTrackers

One more to be spoken for, any takers????

EDIT

Last coin spoken for going to Shimski

Edited by Damenace

OK, since I was one of the originals last night and I've been offline all day today - I need 3 cachers who haven't gotten the 2006 Georgia Stone Mountain coins yet to email me - the subject must be "The Grand Experiment - Geocoin Giveaway". Include your name and shipping address and I will have them in the mail to you tomorrow.

I've also contacted a cacher about releasing 3 of my coins into the wild for me :(

I like this indeed! :D

T1

and the lucky recipients are:

Cacher 1: Not So Lost Puppies

Cacher 2: UOTrackers

Cacher 3: ???

Edited by Thorny1

Well, the idea was to get a coin and then release coins. So if you get a coin, you should give 3 and release 3. I don't think there is a maximum number spoken of yet - it's up to you as to how many you want to release and give away :D There's also the honor system involved here. If you get and don't give - unless it's required to post here to give (and I like that), well, that defeats the whole purpose. Can you live with being that person (not pointed at anyone directly)?

T1

Edited by Thorny1

Outdoorlady79:

They don't have to be trackable, they don't have to be the same. Just 6 coins that you would like to see someone enjoy. They can be 6 different coins. I used the same ones just because they are new coins and I have some extras. Next time I may do 6 different coins and several non trackables. The idea for me is to get some coins back into the wild either for cachers to find and keep(the non trackables and/or non activated coins) or move along (activated).

Remember, in the beginning you had to find a cache to find a coin. It was exciting to do so. That's what we're attempting to do here - return some of the coin craze to the caches where they started (and belong - IMHO). :D

T1

Edited by Thorny1
I'd be willing to do this with my Outdoorfamily coins in a couple weeks when they arrive but they aren't tracikable so I guess that's kind of useless.

Any suggestions? I don't have 6 of the same coin in anything else.

From my reading of the thread they do NOT need to be trackable, and they do NOT have to be 6 of the same coin.

This is my understanding of the Original plan:

Part #1 of the experiment is just send 3 coins into the wild through someone else. The receiver of those 3 must place them in a cache, no further requirement of that person

Part #2: send one coin to the first 3 people e-mailing you requesting a coin. Those receivers are under no obligation to send them anywhere, they are also NOT required to send out 6 coins of their own. (edit) But it is strongly suggested to do send out 6 yourself for each coin you get. (/edit)

No requirement that any of the coins be trackable. The 3 from part #1 can be activated by the owner, or the receiver if they are trackable. The 3 from part #2 are freely given, no strings attached. (They could be activated if trackable, but would probably be nicer if they weren't.)

Edited by Not So Lost Puppies
According to Go Jaybee in the original, the 3 individual coin receivers do NOT need to send out 6 coins.

Is there any guideline on how many of the individual coins someone can request here that they don't have?

I think that the general consencus is you are not "obligated" to participate in the 6 coin giveaway....but if you do not...then you are not eligable for the commemorative coin. Now if you think that you are just gonna sit back and collect coins from us "suckers"....you don't belong here....you will be found out about. Thats what Damenace's Database is for.

There are alot of good scenarios being brought up here...I hope I can answer that in general, in order for this to work, we have to rely on an "honor system". I guess if you want to accept a freebie coin from Giver "A" & Giver "B"...then you will have to put out 6 coins for each of those. If you can afford to do that, I'd say thats great.

I'd be willing to do this with my Outdoorfamily coins in a couple weeks when they arrive but they aren't tracikable so I guess that's kind of useless.

Any suggestions?  I don't have 6 of the same coin in anything else.

Trackable or non...makes no difference...

I don't think anyone will mind if all 6 are NOT the same...

My initial thoughts were directed (in my mind) to folks who have produced coins vs. those who cannot afford them or are not able to climb Mt Everest to get one.

OK, since I was one of the originals last night and I've been offline all day today - I need 3 cachers who haven't gotten the 2006 Georgia Stone Mountain coins yet to email me - the subject must be "The Grand Experiment - Geocoin Giveaway". Include your name and shipping address and I will have them in the mail to you tomorrow.

I've also contacted a cacher about releasing 3 of my coins into the wild for me :(

I like this indeed! :D

T1

and the lucky recipients are:

Cacher 1: Not So Lost Puppies

Cacher 2: UOTrackers

Cacher 3: ???

still looking for cacher #3...