The Grand Experiment - Geocoin Giveaway

Go JayBee

I have read this a couple times and still find the process confusing.The Idea is great

Posted: Jan 10 2006, 12:28 Am

I would think that if they are for release then it shouldn't matter what they have. Sounds like a good idea. I would be glad to participate ....

My thoughts exactly if we are sending coins for release it should not matter what we have.I would like to get in on this but need to get to work and won't be able to check back till much later.

Check this log for another giveaway

geocoin generosity

I'm all for even though I am thoroughly confused! Are we sending and requesting with people posting in this thread only?? So I send 3 coins to 3 different cachers of my choice to start off? Then wait for my inbox to clog up? Well, I have 6 coins ready to go, I'll mix 'em up a bit as far as personal and others....

No, you put three coins in an envelope and find some one/anyone to ship them to with the undertsanding that the person that receives the package will put all three coins into individual caches.

Then you take three more coins and the first three people that e-mail you gets a coin. The catch to this is, the person receiving your coin cannot already possess the coin you are willing to send. If they already have the coin they are not allowed to participate in stage two of this experiment.

Sorry, but I still don't get it. I like the idea of putting more coins into caches again but I don't understand why 3 coins shall be sent to one cacher for placing them into caches and another 3 coins will get sent to 3 different cachers that haven't got these coins yet and can keep them or pass them on? (Hope I got it all right...)

Wouldn't it make more sense if everybody takes 3 trackable coins (trackable on gc.com), gets them registered on his name and sends them out to three different cachers to put them into caches (or he puts them into caches himself if he travels a lot). I don't like the second part which looks like giving away coins for other people's collections. But if everyone would release three new, trackable coins into the wilderness that would make sense to me. And maybe someone could put up a "board" where the names of the cachers with the 3 links to the wandering coin sites can be seen. So everybody can watch what will happen to all these coins...

Just our two cents.

Balla & Silly

6 red-handeds are "in the game"!  I await the e-mails. (I need a caching-cacher for 3 and then three individuals)

Email sent.

Also: I'm wondering about the first 3 coins sent out. When we do that do the coins need to be new and unactivated for the hider to set up and set free - or are they activated by us already and simply sent off to someone to give them a good start in our name?

I have some coins to contribute. Have to check out the specifics though - Will come home after work and list the next 3 I have for emails.

Edited by hobbycache
6 red-handeds are "in the game"! I await the e-mails. (I need a caching-cacher for 3 and then three individuals)

e-mail sent.

Ok, I'm trying to figure this out though... is this a grand giveaway?

I understand the 3 going into caches, but I'm abit confused on the 3 to the first e-mailers. That just seems like a giveaway, not really getting them into caches. Is there any requirement of those e-mailers to do anything other than just be quick on the e-mail trigger? should they be required to participate also or just 'collect' single coins from everyone?

6 red-handeds are "in the game"!  I await the e-mails. (I need a caching-cacher for 3 and then three individuals)

e-mail sent.

Ok, I'm trying to figure this out though... is this a grand giveaway?

I understand the 3 going into caches, but I'm abit confused on the 3 to the first e-mailers. That just seems like a giveaway, not really getting them into caches. Is there any requirement of those e-mailers to do anything other than just be quick on the e-mail trigger? should they be required to participate also or just 'collect' single coins from everyone?

I think it should work that if you were one of the 3 emailers that is getting a free coin to do with what you please then you have to be the next person to release 6 coins. That would keep the cycle going.

Ex. Cacher A sends 3 coins to be cached to Cacher Z

Cacher B, C & D send an email to Cacher A to get a free coin

Then Cacher B, C & D must send 3 coins each to Cacher W, X & Y to be cached

Then 9 more cachers would email B,C & D and the process would continue, until the whole world has been taken over by geocoins in the wild.

Fun right! :anibad::P:unsure:

e-mail sent.

e-mail bounced... forwarded it direct (oops... with the error message) instead of through geocaching, our mail server has a SPF listing so your mail server rejected it coming from geocaching (included my e-mail)

Well at least we know that SPF works, so that is cool :unsure:

I have read this a couple times and still find the process confusing.The Idea is great

I would think that if they are for release then it shouldn't matter what they have. Sounds like a good idea. I would be glad to participate ....

My thoughts exactly if we are sending coins for release it should not matter what we have.I would like to get in on this but need to get to work and won't be able to check back till much later.

geocoin generosity

Alright the following opinions are only my opinions and are not intended to represent any one else so here we go.

I think it is really important that the person that is e-mailing you does not have the coin already that you are willing to send to them. The reason behind this is to assure that the the person is not gathering traders for later on. The purpose of this idea was to promote coins in the wild, not a trading gallery.

Also: I'm wondering about the first 3 coins sent out. When we do that do that need to be newly unactivated for the hider to set up and set free - or are they activated by us already and simply sent off to someone to give them a good start in our name?

The above question may have many differant answers depending on who you ask, so my answer would be as follows. When you send a pakcage of three coins to a person you are sending the coins with the intention of being released into the wild. With that being said if the coin is trackable I believe you as the sender should activate the coin so it can travel. Furthermore, I would encourage the release of trackable coins for two reason, 1) they where intended to travel and 2) if they are activated maybe that would discourgae them from ending up in a collection and if they do end up in a collection then at least they can't try to trade them or sell them on that "E" place.

The three coins that are sent to the first three e-mailers in my opinion should not be activated. unless I am missing something again I thought that the recipients of these three coins had free rein of what to do with them. If that is not the case then they should be activated as well.

I think it should work that if you were one of the 3 emailers that is getting a free coin to do with what you please then you have to be the next person to release 6 coins. That would keep the cycle going.

BINGO ! , I think this is only fair. This would help get more coins into the wild and discourage people participating just to gain coins.

geocoin generosity

I guess we are just a giving group.

I don't get it. And the more someone tries to explain, the more confused I become. So I guess I'll just watch.

It's just us being generous and finally releasing the coins into the wild. Some people would call me crazy for setting a Georgia and a Not Another Micro FTF free. It is getting kinda stuffy in the little storage box :unsure: .

No I get THAT part.

I don't get why in the end each person is mailing off 6 coins. If you want people to activate and release 3 coins, then just send 1 of each of the coins to 3 different cachers for cache placement. Why bother with the other 3?

To continue the cycle. The other 3 people then have to release thier own 3 coins.

At least that is how I get it! :unsure::anibad:

No I get THAT part.

I don't get why in the end each person is mailing off 6 coins. If you want people to activate and release 3 coins, then just send 1 of each of the coins to 3 different cachers for cache placement. Why bother with the other 3?

To continue the cycle. The other 3 people then have to release thier own 3 coins.

At least that is how I get it! :D:D

That still doesn't explain 6 coins. It explains receiving and sending 3.

Okay -- here's what I have done

3 Red-Handed -- Activated for a cache

1 Red-Handed -- unactivated  BONUS 1 Red-Handed Activated for a cache

Oh yeah! Here's who has them:

Damenace -- 3 for caches

Hobbycachegirl -- 1/1 now needs to release 6 (plus the cache one)

Leighale -- 1/1 now needs to release 6 (plus the cache one)

ParentsofSam -- 1/1 now needs to release 6 (plus the cache one)

So that's nine out and a guaranteed 6 in the wild. I would like someone from Australia, Europe and Africa to contact me. (Antarctica too, but that's not going to happen)

-- just a note to fellow cachers, Lemon Fresh Dog is pretty obsessed with remote places: Antartica, Easter Island, Solomon, Cook, Galapagos, Island, Greenland etc, etc -- if you are ever travelling to, or creating sig items with these themes ..... a couple of my favourite coins are the Tiki's and Shop99ers coin for this reason)

Edited by Lemon Fresh Dog

you've peeked my curiosity here is my understanding....

1. Person X mails out 3 coins to Person R

2. Person X mails out single coins to persons G, P, S

3. Persons G, P, S each repeat steps 1 and 2 but with different persons?

and as a qualifier you can't send a coin to someone that already has that coin?

is this right?

So basically if I'm person G,P,S it boils down to I send out 6 coins and get 1 in return? or if I'm

person R then I get zero coins?

:D

BINGO ! , I think this is only fair. This would help get more coins into the wild and discourage people participating just to gain coins.

So what if you want to play this game but you dont have any geocoins yourself? Can only those who already have coins participate in this? Sorry I'm still a newb.

So what if you want to play this game but you dont have any geocoins yourself? Can only those who already have coins participate in this? Sorry I'm still a newb.

I assume you could go and buy six USA coins, or Canada coins (they are always available) and then play. There are now a few coins that seem to be always for sale (with some slight downtime between orders)

and you don't want to get me started on why I think the above are *real* geocoins and not the LE's out there.... :D (Personal coins excluded -- Personal coins are real geocoins too)

(and, that is not a thread hijack -- please visit "other" threads if you wish to comment on that part)

you've peeked my curiosity here is my understanding....

1. Person X mails out 3 coins to Person R

2. Person X mails out single coins to persons G, P, S

3. Persons G, P, S each repeat steps 1 and 2 but with different persons?

and as a qualifier you can't send a coin to someone that already has that coin?

is this right?

So basically if I'm person G,P,S  it boils down to I send out 6 coins and get 1 in return? or if I'm

person R then I get zero coins?

:D

Person X-alpha gets zero coins.

Person R gets three for caches -- at a cost of sending 6 (zero to keep)

Persons G,P,S each get one to keep or cache -- at a cost of 6 each

Personally, I didn't check to see if my persons G,P and S had Red-Handed coins or not --- I can't be bothered. If they do, then I *suppose* they could scam a trader coin out of the deal, but I have faith this is not the case.

Besides....they would be cursed.

For example,

Beth H. of Dallas, TX recieved a Red-Handed coin. She failed to send out 6 coins of her own within 24 hours. As a result, while caching, she slipped and her GPS was smashed to pieces.

Bill W of Los Lobos, CA revieved his Red-Handed coin and forgot to send out the 6 he promised. He also slipped while caching and his GPS became embedded in a part of his body! When he got home, he saw the packages, immediately brought them to the Post Office at his local Pharmacy, and soon the GPS was "returned"

Joey B. of Whatca, MD sent out his coins. That very same day, he found a 5/5 nano cache next to an old box. Inside the box was a Moun10Bike version 1 coin!

I don't get it either. So I need 6 coins from the beginning -> this is kind of expensive  :D

Yes, this is expensive. You need to give away 6 coins to get one (or zero). So this is not for "collecting" it's for caching.

The nice thing is, if others participate, each of your 6 coins will generate 21 coins into caches ..... that is, until it all falls apart and people stop fulfilling their end of the bargain.

So I need 6 coins from the beginning -> this is kind of expensive :D

I agree.

I'm more than happy to launch 3 trackable geocoins and just send them to people I have pending trades with, asking that the person launch the TB coin for me (heck I've done that for other people already).

But 6?

And if the coin being activated and sent isn't trackable on geocaching.com, what's the point? To pad someone's collection?

Besides, I need to stock up on a few travel buddy tags from oak coins before I enter this endeavor. If I launch them, I want to make sure they're obvious travel bugs.

Great idea guys. Just oddly executed.

Beth H. of Dallas, TX recieved a Red-Handed coin. She failed to send out 6 coins of her own within 24 hours. As a result, while caching, she slipped and her GPS was smashed to pieces.

Bill W of Los Lobos, CA revieved his Red-Handed coin and forgot to send out the 6 he promised. He also slipped while caching and his GPS became embedded in a part of his body! When he got home, he saw the packages, immediately brought them to the Post Office at his local Pharmacy, and soon the GPS was "returned"

Joey B. of Whatca, MD sent out his coins. That very same day, he found a 5/5 nano cache next to an old box. Inside the box was a Moun10Bike version 1 coin!

You mean I only have 24 hours!! :D:D:D

I better hurry! I can not afford to be cursed!

From an economic standpoint, this will not make sense. However, we are talking about caching.....

Let's say you bought 6 coins at $5 each. That's $30

You are one of the three folks that can cache or keep a coin (the folks getting one coin). You keep the coin (yeah! a new coin).

THEN! You have to send 6 away! So that coin basically "cost" you $30. Which is actually less than if you bought it on the "secondary" market. (we all know where that is)

For myself, I am able to assure 21 coins in caches by sacrificing 6 of my own. (3+6+6+6) at a cost of (3+1+1+1)

Do I care what coins go in caches (USA, Canada, Calgary, Personals)? Nope. I actually don't. I know that 21 folks are going to find coins in caches. Why does this matter to me? I think caches are improved by having neat items in them. I do not think that placing a $2-$8 item in a cache is too much to ask of folks. (I think "junk drawer" caching is over-rated)

LFD you have done a fine job of explaining, however lets not forget that if we can get at least 100 people to do this I will have a coin minted and for sale to commemorate your efforts on getting coins back to caches. These coins will only be available to those who have completed both steps of this experiment, and it will be at a rate of one coin per participant, that means no traders.

I will try and set up a Yahoo Group for this in hopes of setting up a database there for tracking purposes. You will be required to sign up in the group and fill out the database with who your 6 coins went to.

More on this later, I am off to bed. Hey GoJaybee you better wake up soon there are plenty of questions for you to enter :D ( he must still be suffering the effects of one Captain Morgan ?)

Hey I'm in!

I found a wooden nickel in the very first cache I found. It's one of the very few things I have kept. I'm sure I would still be smitten with Geocaching had I not found that coin but it made the whole thing just that much better!

Coins, buttons, Yrium cards (a San Diego Thing) . . . What a surprise when you find them there in the cache.

Thanks for acting on this great idea.

Jeff / drexotic

<snip>lets not forget that if we can get at least 100 people to do this I will have a coin minted and for sale to commemorate your efforts on getting coins back to caches. <snip>

Although pre-mature, the image of a little geocoin with legs running free in the wild came to me as I thought about the commorative coin.

Maybe a little "herd" if coins pictured on the plains of "cacheopia!"

Well I thought I was off to bed. I just created a Yahoo Group and within that group there is a database where we can list the cachers name, the recipient of the three coin package, the recipient of the 1st coin, 2nd coin and 3rd coin. Go Jaybee this solves our earlier problem of who has completed the experiment and who there coins went to.

If you are interested in signing up for the group please send an e-mail to GeocoinGiveaway-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Anyone is free to join but please remember, a coin will ONLY be minted if 100 people complete both steps. If we don't get 100 people then we get the pleasure of knowing we launched an effort to restore coins back to there natural habitat.

Edited by Damenace
<snip>lets not forget that if we can get at least 100 people to do this I will have a coin minted and for sale to commemorate your efforts on getting coins back to caches. <snip>

Although pre-mature, the image of a little geocoin with legs running free in the wild came to me as I thought about the commorative coin.

Maybe a little "herd" if coins pictured on the plains of "cacheopia!"

I know this isn't the 'correct' thread for this...

but can I steal that herd idea for an unlimited coin? (already have a running geocoin in the works)

I won't look at the one designed for this game (and would like to participate) so it will probably look much different. Or if you want there could be an modification to that one that would be for the participants? or maybe an LE :D of the unlimited edition only available to participants, but that would let us do more than only 100 of them.

So after 100 participants, a special coin is made in a 100 coin run for partipants to buy one coin. but after that 100 players, another 20 play, who gets to buy the coin? only the first 100?

I know this isn't the thread for this... LFD started that LE one already... but isn't this coin going to be counter to the experiment? they will become ulti collectible coins.

Edited by Not So Lost Puppies
So after 100 participants, a special coin is made in a 100 coin run for partipants to buy one coin. but after that 100 players, another 20 play, who gets to buy the coin? only the first 100?

I know this isn't the thread for this... LFD started that LE one already... but isn't this coin going to be counter to the experiment? they will become ulti collectible coins.

As we all know a minimum 100 coins is required to get a decent price break. So we need a minimum of 100. Once we get 100 people to complet then a deadline can be created designs can be finalized and coin can be minted.

How can this coin counter what the experiment is trying to acomplish? Lets say only 100 people choose to do this and each person sends out 6 coins........well you do the math vs. 100 coins being minted.

You folks have been thinking while I've been having sweet dreams. :D

Just to get this back on track....The whole idea with this scheme is:

#1 Get Coins into caches.

#2 Without expecting anything in return......just give some coins to folks who would not otherwise be able to find them or afford them.

Now, the folks that get the free coins are under no obligation to send out 6 coins. Only do this if you want to participate in the Experiment.

Think about the Mystery Santa Coins that were sent out last month.....we still don't know who this was, and they are not expecting anything in return except that we appreciate the coin.

I'll admit it gets tricky with the "1st three to email you" part. I do have a very good record of who has my coins so it was easy for me.

As far as "qualifying" goes...I'll have to checkout Damenace's place. Thanks for doing that DM...