Explorist 500 & 600 Firmware Update Confusion

hybridgeek

I believe that is the case. On the Meridian it was much the same deal: the Gold non-compass) and the Platinum (electronic compass) used the same firmware.

Bottom line: if you downloaded from the correct link on the Magellan site, it should work.

You are correct about making sure that you click the correct link and you should be ok. But having both a Meridian Gold and Meridian Platinum in the family I have the experience of upgrading both a couple of times. Each time the Platinum file was quite a bit larger than the Gold file. In the current 5.40 release the Platinum file is 2.65mb and the Gold is 1.99mb, so they were clearly not the same.

The same does not appear to be the case for the Explorist 500 and 600 though the 400 and XL are very different sizes. Like you said, click on the correct link and you should be OK.

JDandDD

You are correct about making sure that you click the correct link and you should be ok. But having both a Meridian Gold and Meridian Platinum in the family I have the experience of upgrading both a couple of times. Each time the Platinum file was quite a bit larger than the Gold file. In the current 5.40 release the Platinum file is 2.65mb and the Gold is 1.99mb, so they were clearly not the same.

You piqued my curiousity, so I downloaded and unzipped the two Meridian files. You are, of course, correct that the zip files are two different sizes, but the unzipped hex files (the actual firmware that is installed on the GPSr) are identical sizes and dates. It looks like the difference in the two zip files are due to instructions and illustrations for the full calibration process of the Plat's compass.