Shortest Time From Placement To Muggling?

TeamVilla5

First two geocaches ever placed.

Both approved April 20.

Both muggled April 20.

Muggler was a newbie who thought "Take something" meant "Take somethings, as many as you like". Since the caches started with good stash (usuable items, not junk) and he liked what he saw, he took everything. Fortunately, after emailing them of their misunderstanding of the rules, they returned all but one item from each.

medoug.

I know of several that were muggled while in the review process. There was never an FTF, unless you count the muggle. FTM, I guess you would call it.

I have actually had caches muggled before I even got the page in! I tend to place them, and leave them for a week or so to "test" the spot.

I can think of at least 3 that have bit the dust in this manner. Before I could confirm co-ordinates, or compose a page, or anything. bugs me immensely. :unsure:

One that we placed was muggled of it's travel bug by some ghost hunters who even left their name, of course they wont return e-mails. The other was one of our harder finds which was muggled within a day of its last find, we think it was a hunter, took the whole ammo can complete with a bug that had completed it's journey and was headed home. :D

I found a cache inside the Los Angeles Central Library within a few minutes after the library opened its doors. After I logged it, it disappeared within 5 to 10 minutes. We have the timing down because the next several geocachers were right behind me and the cache was gone. So the cache had a life of about 10 minutes.

There was one in our area that got muggled before the first find.  It was intended to be a multi with the first stage being a micro and the final stage a regualr cache.  The regular cache got muggled before it was ever found and now it's just a micro.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...df-d1ef01feee86

There was a cache muggled before FTF in my area within the last year; it was a "vacation cache placement" (although they supposedly had a local maintainer). The first seekers DNF log convinced them it was a bad idea to place it in a junk-filled, grafitti-ridden teen hangount in the first place, so it was never replaced. I can't look it up, because I have no idea who the heck placed it :D

[EDIT] How could I forget this, it was so recent. Lasted 4 days, I myself had the first DNF on the 5th day. Another teen hangout cache. Those kids painted some of the most artistic pot leaf grafitti I've ever seen.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...&log=y&decrypt=

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel
Hey Urkle, it's bad enough I screwed up, do ya have to tell the WHOLE world? :(

No, but seriously, I was just gonna tell the story myself, you beat me to it. :(

Ooops, didn't know you posted to the forums, Gof :D Well, it was a quick muggling, wasn't it? I'm sure the thread starter feels better, their's lasted a whole month. I just wish I had a way to look up the other one I mentioned. With being placed by someone non-local I never heard of, and not a single find log by anyone to reference it with, that part of our local geocaching history may be lost forever :D

I got a FTF of sorts on an empty box a couple years back. It was muggled before I could get there and I live about 3 miles away. I left everything in my pack including a temporary log to restock it and before the owner could get there with a new official log it was muggled again. After that it did last for awhile until being archived. Unusual that it was muggled in that it was well out of sight of any trail and in a relatively difficult spot to physically get to. ....Thick vegetation and large rocks to work around.

I hid a cache that was only found once before it disappeared, the day after it was hidden and approved. I replaced it, and someone stopped by later that evening and discovered it had gone missing again. Even stranger was that the next bench over had a small piece of velcro attached underneath, much like you'd stick a micro to, but I never put it there.

Even more odd, I moved the cache 10 feet, replaced it with a full-sized container (it was originally a micro), and in over two years it hasn't gone missing since.

I know of a cache that was muggled before it was posted, A couple of kids hid a cache and one of their brothers took it before they even submitted it for posting. :D

I was going for a FTF at 2am with another cacher already there, we spent lots of time looking for a cache that was gone. :(

As I understand, a punishment was issued by one of the brothers.

[QUQUOTE (gof1 @ Jan 10 2006, 03:54 PM)

Hey Urkle, it's bad enough I screwed up, do ya have to tell the WHOLE world?

No, but seriously, I was just gonna tell the story myself, you beat me to it.

Ooops, didn't know you posted to the forums, Gof Well, it was a quick muggling, wasn't it? I'm sure the thread starter feels better, their's lasted a whole month. I just wish I had a way to look up the other one I mentioned. With being placed by someone non-local I never heard of, and not a single find log by anyone to reference it with, that part of our local geocaching history may be lost forever OTE]

Are you thinking of this one? GCK9VC

Or Micro Micro? That one didn't last long before the backhoe got it.

Ooops, didn't know you posted to the forums, Gof  Well, it was a quick muggling, wasn't it? I'm sure the thread starter feels better, their's lasted a whole month. I just wish I had a way to look up the other one I mentioned. With being placed by someone non-local I never heard of, and not a single find log by anyone to reference it with, that part of our local geocaching history may be lost forever  OTE]

Yes, amazing work. GCK9VC

was muggled and archived before ever being found. Vacation cache placed by some guy from Austria! You'll have to tell me over beers at the event Saturday how you managed to find that cache page (no sense boring everyone else). And, staying on topic, poor Gof1 here did have 2 of his first 4 placements go missing in under two weeks.

Ooops, didn't know you posted to the forums, Gof  Well, it was a quick muggling, wasn't it? I'm sure the thread starter feels better, their's lasted a whole month. I just wish I had a way to look up the other one I mentioned. With being placed by someone non-local I never heard of, and not a single find log by anyone to reference it with, that part of our local geocaching history may be lost forever  OTE]

Yes, amazing work. GCK9VC

was muggled and archived before ever being found. Vacation cache placed by some guy from Austria! You'll have to tell me over beers at the event Saturday how you managed to find that cache page (no sense boring everyone else). And, staying on topic, poor Gof1 here did have 2 of his first 4 placements go missing in under two weeks.

I didn't know you guys posted in the forums. :lol: How the heck did you find that listing Gof? I wonder how it even got approved, given the tight rules with cache approvals and vacation caches. :laughing:

HB

I didn't know you guys posted in the forums.  :lol:  How the heck did you find that listing Gof? I wonder how it even got approved, given the tight rules with cache approvals and vacation caches.  :laughing:

Shouldn't you be in school, HB? I have a whopping 33 posts in 2.5 years, mostly in the all New Jersey all the time errrr I mean Northeast forum. In this specific case, I believe there was a note (since deleted) by the placer saying they had a local relative for maintenance. Or even if I'm imagining that, it was probably taken care of in a reviewer note. Vacation caches seem to be perfectly acceptable if you have a local maintainer. Search by country and look at just about any cache in the Caribbean (Bermuda, Bahamma's, Dominica, Trinidad etc.....); they're practically all "vacation caches", and usually have a small print disclaimer regarding a local maintainer. Besides I think this cache was BNYA (Before NewYorkAdmin ;) )

Ms. Dru has one in the Bahamas. :) Hi guys!

Does my Curtiss cache count? GCR1ZG That evil schmoo on Curtis took the first cache container, thinking that would be that! Then I put a second container out there (and Gof graciously provided a log). 6 days from beginning to end! Well, at least a few people got to find it. : (

~gg

(p.s.-Hi Huck!)

Ms. Dru has one in the Bahamas.  ;)  Hi guys!

Does my Curtiss cache count? GCR1ZG  That evil schmoo on Curtis took the first cache container, thinking that would be that! Then I put a second container out there (and Gof graciously provided a log).  6 days from beginning to end!  Well, at least a few people got to find it. : (

~gg

(p.s.-Hi Huck!)

What is this, the WNY Cachers Board now? :( Hi GG, Sorry about your Curtis Park cache. Some people just like to ruin all the fun. :unsure:

I had noticed a lot of the Caribbean caches are Vacation Caches, Urkel, makes ya wonder about how many of those cachers actually have relatives down in those areas. :( I have all the caches near and in Cancun, Mexico on my watch-list and there seems to be a trend of them getting muggled and never replaced.

This happened today.

Went to check on a multi cache of ours yesterday, happily finding both containers in good shape.

Today, I had a Geocoin I wanted to drop in the final for a cacher that had been having trouble finding it, only to discover that the container is now GONE! :unsure:

I honestly spent over a minute looking at the spot where it was suppossed to be blinking my eyes in hopes it would re-appear- :(

Odd, odd, odd.

Edited by CT Trampers