Longview Cache Machine

Stump

The next cache machine on TravisL's list was Longview. Since TravisL has understandably stepped back from cache machine planning as promised before I will plan the event.

I had considered doing it in April or May but since CITO and the Spring Fling are in April I will plan it for May on a date not yet determined. Feel free to post here if you have requests for a certain date.

My original plan was to from Longview down Hwy 30 (west side of Columbia River) almost to Portland and then back up along non-highway (but paved) roads. This does seem like a feasible idea.

But in looking at the map another possibility is to do a non-circular route and start in Longview and then end in Astoria, OR. If you wanted to drive back afterwards it's an hour back to Longview. Or you could stay in Astoria and head our and grab some caches along the Oregon or up and do Long Beach. Unfortunately, it's not really feasible to do Longview, Astoria, and Long Beach all in the same day. At least not if you want to get a lot of caches. But if the machine ended in Astoria on Saturday then Sunday could be spent caching in Long Beach.

Any thoughts on these ideas? Both routes seem to be about the same amount of driving and same number of caches though Astoria would have more. Below are images of two very rough routes.

Longview to Astoria

Longview to Portland to Longview (remember these are very rough drafts)

For those particpating in the DeLorme Challenge, Page 31 can be added easily whatever route. Theres a cache a little too far west from Longview for a machine but easily gettable. Page 30 would be in the Astoria route and then 58 A would be Long Beach. And of course 32 would be included in any route.

It's like asking a woman who's just given birth, when she'll have the next one. :(:huh:

There's a reason that our two kids are in 2nd and 3rd grade. :(

You're right GrnXnham. Mostly I just want to make sure there isn't something big, such as the CITO events I was reminded about, that conflicted with it.

Both routes look interesting...but logistically the circular route is easier for those of us that will want to stay in a motel for two consecutive nights.

Yes, that was my thought as well.

BUT both routes are basically drive an hour from Longview and then drive back.

The south route does let you take a little different route getting back to pick up 4 or 5 caches but basically it's a drive south getting caches and then drive an hour back. The Astoria one has the advantage of allowing people to drive an hour out of Longview and then do a bunch of caches in Astoria. So if you're slower you could just do one or two if you're faster you can do a bunch of them. And then have dinner in Astoria. I agree it would suck to drive an hour back after caching though. Though you could skip all the caches on the way from Longview to Astoria and then grab them all as night caches on the way back. I think all of them can be done at night pretty easily.

The south drive is gorgeous when the sky is clear and you can see all four mountains. The west drive goes to the ocean and Astoria is a great little town.

Another advantage for the south route is for those who only want to do part of the route and have never cached Longview they could just hang around town doing the 20-30 we have in the immediate area.

I'm not pushing either one. It depends on what people like and as you point out the south one would be easier.

Ditto, I agree with Allanon. It is easier to stay in the same place for two or three nights then to have to pack up and move on to another one. Also, it might make it harder having the event dinner afterwards if some stay in OR and some in WA. So my vote is for the circular route. Astoria seems like destination caching of it's own.

As for the weekend, well, you set the date, we will come if not obligated elsewhere. If you are planning it, it should fit your schedule the best. We won't all have the same weekends available so we will just have to chose our priorities. :huh:

There are 5 Saturday's in April. Have you considered the 29th. It would be after Easter and before Mothers Day (2nd Sunday in May). I know I would love to spend mother's day weekend caching. But it is not about me. I need to think of my mother. :(

Ditto, I agree with Allanon. It is easier to stay in the same place for two or three nights then to have to pack up and move on to another one. Also, it might make it harder having the event dinner afterwards if some stay in OR and some in WA. So my vote is for the circular route. Astoria seems like destination caching of it's own.

As for the weekend, well, you set the date, we will come if not obligated elsewhere. If you are planning it, it should fit your schedule the best. We won't all have the same weekends available so we will just have to chose our priorities. :huh:

There are 5 Saturday's in April. Have you considered the 29th. It would be after Easter and before Mothers Day (2nd Sunday in May). I know I would love to spend mother's day weekend caching. But it is not about me. I need to think of my mother. :(

I also favor the circular route.

But I will have to get to Astoria one of these days - maybe in the summer. Haven't been back there since I started caching.

I had considered doing it in April or May but since CITO and the Spring Fling are in April I will plan it for May on a date not yet determined. Feel free to post here if you have requests for a certain date.

I just noticed that the Spring Fling has been moved to the CITO day, so the 22nd is the only weekend in April that would be bad for a cache machine. April 29th looks good to me. Best for me not to have it too close to Mother's Day so I can take both Sundays off work. I favor the circular route too, for all the good reasons listed in the posts above.

I just noticed that the Spring Fling has been moved to the CITO day, so the 22nd is the only weekend in April that would be bad for a cache machine. April 29th looks good to me. Best for me not to have it too close to Mother's Day so I can take both Sundays off work. I favor the circular route too, for all the good reasons listed in the posts above.

PP, you appear to have loads of free time, but I at least might be constrained going out of town to cache two consecutive weekends in April. :unsure:

ok, so we have probably done all or most of the caches on both routes, but can we go anyway. pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease.

I'm counting on you guys being there!

The southern route it is then.

If people are interested we can do an informal Astoria run on Sunday. If for no other reason than to have breakfast at The Berry Patch in Clatskanie.

I've checked with Mrs. Stump and April 29th it is. The Trojan nuclear power plant tower is being imploded in May and the route goes right by it so best to stay out of May. And it's nice to have it after Daylight Savings Time so we can start an hour later.

My apologies to Robinego. But we can give you a personal tour of the area another time if you like. :D

I'll get the event page started closer to the event. Thaks for the input.

Great it is in my planner.  I love getting out of Wenatchee both weekends of the Apple Blossom Festival.  :(

Yeah, that sounds really good. For my own selfish reasons. Mainly because we are plannning a trip to Wenatchee around that time.

I'm glad you mentioned the festival Patudles..... we don't want to be fighting traffic around town on those two weekends either. Now we know when NOT to go! So that opens us up to the Machine those weekends.

Thanks for taking this on Stump :D

Edited by Wienerdog
We missed the Bellingham CM due to work, but I might be able to talk Blooming Idiot into this one - and then continue up and around the Olympic Pennisula to get those pages for WDC cache.

The cache machine after Longview (assuming San Francisco isn't going to happen) is Grays Harbor. That should happen in September. You can get your Olympic pages then when the weather's nice. If you can wait you might want to think about the Hwy 14 pages instead (Columbia River). (and I84 pages for Oregon)

You'd better try to make it M10Bike!

Relooking at the DeLorme map it looks like page 31 may be covered in the route. Can someone tell me does the Willow Grove cache make it onto map 31? Or do I need to have someone hide a cache a little further west?

It looks like it is on Page 31. Here are the caches that I show on that page:

GCMDZW Another Canal Another Cache

GCQBCP Jack's 75th B-Day

GCJKKV Lucky Mud

GCPK19 Route 506 W! The End!!

GC492D Solo Line

GCJVAJ willapa hills beauty

GCMM2X Willow Grove

We missed the Bellingham CM due to work, but I might be able to talk Blooming Idiot into this one - and then continue up and around the Olympic Pennisula to get those pages for WDC cache.

The cache machine after Longview (assuming San Francisco isn't going to happen) is Grays Harbor. That should happen in September. You can get your Olympic pages then when the weather's nice. If you can wait you might want to think about the Hwy 14 pages instead (Columbia River). (and I84 pages for Oregon)

Actually... there could me one more in the middle between those Still working on a location... there are several that would be good.

Actually... there could me one more in the middle between those Still working on a location... there are several that would be good.

Okay but it won't be an official trademarked TravisL brand cache machine. :)

Thanks for the list M10Bike. Another Canal and Solo Line must be just across the line. They'll both be on the route though most people will skip solo line (it's named after it's location on MT. Solo).

Actually... there could me one more in the middle between those    Still working on a location... there are several that would be good.

Okay but it won't be an official trademarked TravisL brand cache machine. :unsure:

Thanks for the list M10Bike. Another Canal and Solo Line must be just across the line. They'll both be on the route though most people will skip solo line (it's named after it's location on MT. Solo).

Actually.... I cleared this one with Travis at the PT/PA CM dinner :(

I've gotten several of those already. And I've planned a route that will pick up the rest and the SE part of the state, but it doesn't come anywhere near Longview. The Olympic/Pacific loop does! So that'll be what may happen...

There is a good chance that a few Missoula cachers will be heading to this machine!  Dean and I are checking into some options and really want to attend another CM. 

-J

That would be cool to get to meet you both.

:D

And the same to you!

:)

Yeppers... We have an ulterior motive for this CM- want to meet more cachers!

Looks like we may have room for 1 more in the Jeep at this point- if we still do on CM day, we may have to kidnap a "local" if one is available... for guidance and navigational purposes only. Beer will be supplied at dinner. :D

Dinner? Is there one of those nifty Red Robin places? We still don't have those in MT yet.

-Jen

For those looking at the route and checking "Twilight Eagle Sanctuary but no Eagleeyee Cache" and thinking it is gone, barring overtime, I will be checking the cache this weekend and replacing it if needed.

In any case, even if there turns out to be extended overtime before this event, once I see there is a specific date for this event set I will check on the cache and replace if needed somehow.

It looks like the Tribe clan will be coming down in their traveling teepee on wheels. We have been talking to the sky gods and asking that the big fire ball in the sky Sun.gif be shinning bright that weekend.

The only problem with that is I hear that it can make your skin turn red and fall off... :huh:

We could count coup by collecting scalps!

Not a complaint - I just didn't want this to slip you mind. :laughing::laughing:

Oh I know. And no worries hasn't slipped my mind. Coordinates are supposed to be for the dinner place so we're working on getting a dinner location.

Izzy's Buffet is sounding the most probable at this time. In Longview if you have an event in the evenings there are a few choices but they all involve pizza places. At least for crowds the size of ours.

I'm not planning a Friday night dinner. Machines are about caching so I thought I'd plan a short cache route in Castle Rock instead.