Interesting One...

Clyde.

New Features in the works!

We're always working on new features for Premium Members. Here are a few items of interest that have not been implemented (yet):

* New Solution for Locationless Caches - Coming Soon!

This is going to be good considering they've removed them all from Jan 1st <_<

Waymarking is open to all. Am I the only one who hopes it develops into something useful and fun ?

Try geocaching tour guides travel bug rescuers could be another good one.

What about wainrights, munroes, marylins, corbetts, welsh 3000ftrs etc.

As a family we currently have no interest in the new site but there again we had no interest in virts or locationless on this site either.

We may be tempted by peak bagging when Aaron gets older though and we do log the occasional trig point.

So when is the solution to the problem arriving?  :unsure:  ;)  :P  :D  :P  :anibad:  :P

I'm working on web service at the moment which includes a random quotation at the foot of each page it serves. I spotted these two pearls in the code, which seemed quite appropriate to the spirit of this thread...

"If you think the problem is bad now, just wait until we've solved it." ~ Arthur Kasspe

"Our problems are mostly behind us. What we have to do now is fight the solutions." ~ Stult's Report

:lol:

I'm not that keen on virtuals and locationless, and was glad to see them moved away from the main site, but I'd like to log a few Earthcaches - but there are none in the UK, as the Brits tend to be a bit slow setting these things up!  :unsure: Get on with it!

Here are 3 Earth Caches in the UK and there may well be others, these just happen to be the ones I have come across.

GCN6EP

CGQ5FQ

GCQ5G2

I haven't actually done any of these yet. The 2 Scottish ones it was blowing a full gale and puuring with rain when I was passing them. But the Severn Bore I am intending to do in March

I think he means on Waymarking.com thats where his link points too.

That's really odd. When I clicked on them they took me to the geocaching web site, and I promise they are not in my browser cache.

Any explanations? I would have expected to go to the Waymarking site. :D

Just rodgers links go to geocaching.com, but HH link goes to Waymarking.com

I'm not that keen on virtuals and locationless, and was glad to see them moved away from the main site, but I'd like to log a few Earthcaches - but there are none in the UK, as the Brits tend to be a bit slow setting these things up!  :D Get on with it!

Here are 3 Earth Caches in the UK and there may well be others, these just happen to be the ones I have come across.

GCN6EP

CGQ5FQ

GCQ5G2

I haven't actually done any of these yet. The 2 Scottish ones it was blowing a full gale and puuring with rain when I was passing them. But the Severn Bore I am intending to do in March

And this one, close to the Ridgeway

GCN18T

I'm not that keen on virtuals and locationless, and was glad to see them moved away from the main site, but I'd like to log a few Earthcaches - but there are none in the UK, as the Brits tend to be a bit slow setting these things up! :D Get on with it!

HH

Just done a count of EarthCaches on GC.com within the UK, and there are at least 50 that I can see.

Moote

There are indeed 50 on geocaching.com.

Sorry, I only checked on Waymarking.com.

(Shouldn't the British ones be moved across there to keep them together with the others?)

HH

No not at all, keep everything one here, and if someone does not like them they have no need to do them. But the big wigs at GC.com don't see it that way.

Moote

Nah, they work better on Waymarking.com. But let's not fall out over this trivia! :D:D

As a compromise, the full list is on Earthcache GSA.

HH

HH

I think if the passed the your Waymarking totals through to the main GC.com site I would be happy, but they either did not think of this, or ignored it!

Fall out, you are too nice a chap to fall out with.

Moote

If Waymarking is the solution what on earth was the question. :D

Something like, I want to submit a Locationless how can I do this? Why can't I? When will I be able to?

The moratorium stemmed from continuous questions like, are locationless really caches? should they count? are they all so lame? why is everyone hating on locationless?. Which increased pressure to make them better, and eventally stop listing new ones till a better way of listing them can be set up. (sounds similar to virtuals doesn't it)

In some ways Waymarking is better than locationless and virtuals. Like can be listed now, no need to prove anything, and are not considered by 'saturation' guidelines.

some problems are that its on another website, few visit and it will take time to get people used to it.

oh, and theres nothing listed, so few visit, so noone wastes their time submitting new waymarks, so theres nothing listed :(

The biggest problem with locationless was that geocaching.com couldn't handle them as it's really designed for geocaches. Did you ever try and search for a locationless? The only way was to just page through them - not very useful, as all you could see was titles of Waymarking ideas. No wonder there was a moratorium - imagine how useless a list of 10000 locationless caches would be with no categories! So geocaching.com would have needed a radical redesign to add categories just so we can organise listings of things that aren't even caches.

Hardly any geocachers liked logging locationless caches, and most didn't like having them in their numbers, so it wasn't a surprise to me when they were moved to a separate site. Virtual caches is a separate discussion, of course!

HH

(Shouldn't the British ones be moved across there to keep them together with the others?)

I'm keeping mine in geocaching.com where they belong :D

Here is a suggestion. Move them to WM.com, but sync the find counts across both sites so you see a GC total, a WM total and a combined total. For a limited time (perhaps 12 months) the older earth caches could still be search on GC.com and bounce you across to WM.com to look and log.

I have no interest or intention of moving my earthcache across. If it becomes compulsary to do so then I will just archive the cache.

Why? Because when I have had a look at WM it has just failed to arouse my interest. I do not see me going over there to log McDonalds, food pubs, plastic dinosaurs or whatever, any time in the near future.

I am aghast at the idea of WM scores counting on GC. I hope this never ever happens. I like to think that some element of effort has gone into finding the caches that I have logged (including virtuals and locationless) and the idea that my stats would be listed in the same table as the McDonalds league? ... Urgh! Still, a quick drive round London and you could get to 1000 in no time (Then lets see the complaints about the congratulations threads!!).

Did you ever try and search for a locationless? The only way was to just page through them

I thought searching for things was the whole point of Geocaching, and if you have to search for the locationless cache listing as well as the subject, then surely that's just an additional challenge :D

I think the floor in the WM.com idea is that people logged things before as a challenge, but when you can log anything that challenge has gone.

Although I have duplicated my webcam cache on WM.com I am not planning on adding any more or logging anything in the near future. That being said I took the decision to only log locationless caches that meant something to me and not just because I could.