Spring Fling 2006

Shop99er

However, it doesn't say you can't bring them and leave them in the car. Not much fun, I'll admit, but it is an option... :rolleyes:

No offense, but you're not a dog owner. That's like teasing a toddler with a lollipop. When you have a bunch of people outside having fun and they can't be there; that's not an option.

Again I'll say no worries. Our kind hosts have made accomodations for the Luau based on previous discussions. I'll settle for that and hope I can make it.

However, it doesn't say you can't bring them and leave them in the car. Not much fun, I'll admit, but it is an option... :rolleyes:

No offense, but you're not a dog owner. That's like teasing a toddler with a lollipop. When you have a bunch of people outside having fun and they can't be there; that's not an option.

Again I'll say no worries. Our kind hosts have made accomodations for the Luau based on previous discussions. I'll settle for that and hope I can make it.

No offense either, but I have been a dog owner, and I know how much they like to be able to go with their owners no matter what or where. Our dog would have wanted to go and sleep in the car, get out and go the bathroom once in awhile, then go back to sleep until the next bathroom break.

So, in my opinion, the suggestion was valid...no matter what anyone else says.

WD, I went to Spring Fling last year and had a similar problem. I was informed that beer was not allowed. <gasp!> I was able to overcome this monumental dilemma by disguising my beer with an opaque bottle coolie. Dogs are not allowed, but what about cute little bunnies with long brown bodies? :rolleyes:

WD, I went to Spring Fling last year and had a similar problem. I was informed that beer was not allowed. <gasp!> I was able to overcome this monumental dilemma by disguising my beer with an opaque bottle coolie. Dogs are not allowed, but what about cute little bunnies with long brown bodies? :rolleyes:

:):):unsure:

No offense either, but I have been a dog owner, and I know how much they like to be able to go with their owners no matter what or where. Our dog would have wanted to go and sleep in the car, get out and go the bathroom once in awhile, then go back to sleep until the next bathroom break.

So, in my opinion, the suggestion was valid...no matter what anyone else says.

There are those types of dogs too, but I couldn't do it to Snickers and I certainly can't do that to Penny.

WD, I went to Spring Fling last year and had a similar problem. I was informed that beer was not allowed. <gasp!> I was able to overcome this monumental dilemma by disguising my beer with an opaque bottle coolie. Dogs are not allowed, but what about cute little bunnies with long brown bodies? :lol:

<_< Too funny! That's a cute idea Crminal. Maybe I can find a 50% off table on bunny ears since Easter is over!

:P Yeah... man's (and woman's) best friends....DOGS and BEER :lol:

Edited by Wienerdog

WD, I went to Spring Fling last year and had a similar problem. I was informed that beer was not allowed. <gasp!> I was able to overcome this monumental dilemma by disguising my beer with an opaque bottle coolie. Dogs are not allowed, but what about cute little bunnies with long brown bodies? :lol:

We've always maintained that what ever is in your cooler or coozie is your business. Same thing goes for what ever is in your purse, under your arm, sitting at your feet or cleaning the frosting off your kid's face.

<_< Too funny! That's a cute idea Crminal. Maybe I can find a 50% off table on bunny ears since Easter is over!

Personally.... we're dog people. We don't care whether you bring them or not. We're just telling you what the Waterman people have told us. On the other hand.... we are going to be in violation of several fire codes and a couple of liquor permits so what's a dog?... or a really unattractive bunny rabbit? They DID say no dogs but nothing about wabbits! If you're comfortible with them being there then we are too.

Best quote I ever read about a dog...

Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really. ~Agnes Sligh Turnbull

WOOHOO!!! Was that fun or what! It was alot of blood, sweat, and beers, but was so well worth it! It was great to see such a large turnout, and be able to meet so many fellow cachers that I have not met before. The Kids Games really seemed to do well, and alot of the kids told me that they really liked them. I already have some additional ideas in the beginning design stages up my sleave, for GeoLuau III in August.

Can someone do me a favor? Post at least one message saying that the weather sucked, the events were boring and everyone was really annoying.

The weather sucked (the sun was so bright I had to keep squinting all day)

The food was horrible (It all looked, smelled and tasted so good I didn't know where to start or stop)

I am annoyed that in reading the attended logs I notice that there were people there I wanted to say hi to but didn't get a chance do because there were so many people.

Did that help?

Can someone do me a favor? Post at least one message saying that the weather sucked, the events were boring and everyone was really annoying.

The weather sucked (the sun was so bright I had to keep squinting all day)

The food was horrible (It all looked, smelled and tasted so good I didn't know where to start or stop)

I am annoyed that in reading the attended logs I notice that there were people there I wanted to say hi to but didn't get a chance do because there were so many people.

Did that help?

That's right. I got a sunburn on my face, and there were so many good things on the contest tables it was hard to chose what to take when my time came.

Edited by Patudles

I want to thank Debbie and Mark for allowing the GPS Accuracy Game to be a part of their great event. I thought the crew did a great job considering we had 48 at the Sissy Site,

63 at the Expert Site and 60 at the Elevation Site. We had hoped to be able to keep you informed via the message board just how well you did via radio from the field but were unable

to get a break to bring it up to date. And most important I want to thank you the participants for having such a good time. All the thanks goes to Tim and his assistants for

the fun games for the kids. It was fun manning the Elevation Platform and meeting most of you on a one to one basis. Dick, W7WT

Edited by W7WT

Well, my event log says it all:

This was a horrible time - not only was the food lousy, the portions were too small. The weather was too hot, there were too many people - and most of them strangers (some stranger than others) - and I did lousy at the games! So ...

{removing tongue from cheek}

See you next year! It was a blast!

Well.....you didn't get stuck meeting me. That's a plus, right? :)

Yeah - and it was pretty close too. I had to bail out on lunch Friday to assure I wouldn't run into you,

(I missed you and C4 by such a small amount it really sucked).

Thanks to everyone for their attempts at helping me out in this time of need:

too many hugs

too much food

too many prizes

too many people to meet

too much sunshine

Sounds awful. Glad I missed it.

On the plus side, the drive to Portland on Friday took 40 minutes longer than usual due to the 5-mile backup from the accident near milepost 93 <_<

Seriously though, it was great to meet and cache with Shopp99er, Ladycacher, *Tumbleweed* and CoinsAndPins on Friday.

Well.....you didn't get stuck meeting me. That's a plus, right? :)

Yeah - and it was pretty close too. I had to bail out on lunch Friday to assure I wouldn't run into you,

(I missed you and C4 by such a small amount it really sucked).

Thanks to everyone for their attempts at helping me out in this time of need:

too many hugs

too much food

too many prizes

too many people to meet

too much sunshine

Sounds awful. Glad I missed it.

On the plus side, the drive to Portland on Friday took 40 minutes longer than usual due to the 5-mile backup from the accident near milepost 93 <_<

Seriously though, it was great to meet and cache with Shopp99er, Ladycacher, *Tumbleweed* and CoinsAndPins on Friday.

We're all teasing, but you have to know we would have rather had you there...It would have been nice to meet you, that's for sure.

Maybe in another time...

The worst part of the Fling was my email box Monday morning - so many cachers in the area, logging almost every one of my caches at least once. I had nearly 250 log emails today. Yow!

The best part of the Fling was... well, you've heard it all by now. <_<

The worst part of the Fling was my email box Monday morning - so many cachers in the area, logging almost every one of my caches at least once. I had nearly 250 log emails today. Yow!

The best part of the Fling was... well, you've heard it all by now. :mad:

That's funny, I had The Fling on my watchlist until mid-day Saturday when my Inbox was getting flooded faster than I could read! I'll go back and read the logs on the cache page after I take my medication :mad:

And TM is right - Less than three months until Champoeg '06. I hope a bunch of you can make it down (or up, or over) for that.

I had such a great time at the after Fling get together, with Criminal, TotemLake, and Lep. Thanks guys, for a fun evening! :(

That was a fun get together. Good beer, good friends, good times.

Good hugs. :D And I'm not just meaning the ones that I got. :mad::(

Yeah really, when TotemLake wants a hug, you damnn sure better give him one.

:mad:

I had such a great time at the after Fling get together, with Criminal, TotemLake, and Lep. Thanks guys, for a fun evening! :(

That was a fun get together. Good beer, good friends, good times.

Good hugs. :D And I'm not just meaning the ones that I got. :):D

Yeah really, when TotemLake wants a hug, you damnn sure better give him one.

:mad:

I'm thinking that he just reached out and took it. :(:mad:

Hi folks,

First, thanks to everyone that attended. As always, it was great to see/meet you.

We had so many there, that we out-ran the water supply!! :unsure:

I have noticed that there are a lot of TB's and coins still listed as being at the event. Please retireve the one(s) you took. We have pretty much packed the gear up in preperation for putting it away, and no bugs or coins were left in the stump.

Mark

OK, folks.

The Hall of Shame is posted, and has been updated to include the games fro this year's Fling.

It now has a fairly permanent home, so you can bookmark it if you like, and it'll most likely be there next month.

The HoS is here.

First I want to thank Mark and Debbie for posting the results of all the GPS games.

They took the log from the Elevation game and put it in a format that is meaningful.

Here are some interesting data concerning all the games.

Anytime you are with in 5 feet of GZ, that is good.

At the first Spring Fling in 2005 16 out of 38 or 42% of you were with in 5 feet.

At the Luau we were able to measure not only the distance but the bearings

and plot them on a universal plotting board.

At the first session which started at 11 AM 15 out of 25 or 60% were within 5 feet of

ground zero and the plot showed an equal distribution in around GZ.

At the second session which started at 3 PM only 2 out of 25 or 8% were within 5 feet

of GZ and the plot showed the grouping of flags to be off to one side. We didn't

take a look at the position of the satellites but my guess they were lined up.

At the 2006 Spring Fling due to the large number of participants, we just didn't

have time to take the bearings. We had a total of 111.

At the Sissy Site 27 out of 48 or 56% were within 5 feet of GZ

At the Expert Site 34 out of 63 or 54% were within 5 feet of GZ

This indicates over half of you were within 5 feet. You did well.

At the Kids Site 11 out of 33 or 33% were within 5 feet. Which shows

that some of you would do just as well by throwing your GPS in the middle

of the flags.

At the Elevation Site we had 60 and 3 were right on at 328 feet or 5%

Of those lower than 328 feet 11 out of 42 or 26% were within 5 feet of 328 ft.

Those higher than 328 feet, 8 out of 15 or 53% were within 5 feet of of 328 ft

Overall 19 out of 60 or 32% were within 5 feet. Means about a third of you were

getting readings within 5 feet. That's not bad.

What does this mean for Geocaching in the woods. Not much. Experience and luck

are the biggest factors.

Dick