Spring Fling 2006

Shop99er

I HOPE to have a 60CSx in the very near future, and was wondering if a person would be able to participate in both the sissy site and the expert site with two different gizmos? If I was to pay two entance fees via two prizes, could I use my Meredian Gold for the sissy site, and my 60CSx in the expert site? Or could I be so bold as to play off the excuse that I JUST got the Garmin and am not yet familiar with it and use it in the sissy site?

I actually wouldnt do that. If I have the CSx it will be used on the expert site, but what is going to determine the regulations in participation between the two sites?

Is it going to be a case where certain models will not be allowed on the sissy site,and if it is, will there be a list available at the registration table stating the gizmos that qualify for the sissy site, or is this going to be a case by case basis determined by experience? I dont know if anyone else has thought of these questions and I just wanted address them before hand.

First things, first. The Official Rules for the game are now posted on the listing. These rules have been reviewed by and concurred on by the GPS Game CEO. As always, no whining. We can discuss bribes in private.

Now, as to -Hawk-'s question regarding the use of multiple gizmos...

We had talked about that very thing, but sort of let it drop. We really didn't figure it would be an issue. So, when Dick tells me how he wants to run that part, I will write up a rule for that, and send it to hime for approval. When he says it's good to go, I'll post it on the listing.

The thinking right now is that you would be able to do just what you want to do as long as

you do as you say and give an appropriate prize for each site. Haven't decided about restricting the use of a new garmin x series on the Sissy Site. We really thought most cachers with a super GPS wouldn't be caught dead at the Sissy Site. How would you feel if someone with a Yellow Etrex beat you out at the Sissy Site? If we are swamped and have the 70 + participants I am predicting we may have to restrict to only one site. Also if the weather is terrible I don't want those in the field to suffer for two hours. Since you will be there early we can probably work you in. Thanks for bringing up the question, I will have to check with the crew. Dick, W7WT

As hosts of this wing-ding we should probably say....

As far as the Accuracy and Elevation games go Dick's word is final. No discussion. Period.

Dick runs all aspects of this game and he does it very well.

Dick runs the Expert Site and oversees all aspects of the game.

Rick (GeoDiver) is in charge of the Sissy Site

Steve (the4grays) is in charge of the Kids Site

Chuck (Whizzo917) is in charge of the Elevation Estimation site

They all answer to Dick as do we where the accuracy game is concerned.

You left out the most important member of the cast-Megan, Belleterre who is the hub of the operation and answers to NO ONE. I also wanted to say I have the final word at home too-

YES DEAR!!

I am smart enough to pick all experienced Geocachers for the crew that make me look good.

The reason I started the GPS Contest was that I don't contribute much to the Geocaching community,

and wanted to do something. It is a pleasure working with Mark and Debbie. They put up with all the wild ideas I get.

Dick, W7WT

I HOPE to have a 60CSx in the very near future, and was wondering if a person would be able to participate in both the sissy site and the expert site with two different gizmos? If I was to pay two entance fees via two prizes, could I use my Meredian Gold for the sissy site, and my 60CSx in the expert site? Or could I be so bold as to play off the excuse that I JUST got the Garmin and am not yet familiar with it and use it in the sissy site?

I actually wouldnt do that. If I have the CSx it will be used on the expert site, but what is going to determine the regulations in participation between the two sites?

Is it going to be a case where certain models will not be allowed on the sissy site,and if it is, will there be a list available at the registration table stating the gizmos that qualify for the sissy site, or is this going to be a case by case basis determined by experience? I dont know if anyone else has thought of these questions and I just wanted address them before hand.

First things, first. The Official Rules for the game are now posted on the listing. These rules have been reviewed by and concurred on by the GPS Game CEO. As always, no whining. We can discuss bribes in private.

Now, as to -Hawk-'s question regarding the use of multiple gizmos...

We had talked about that very thing, but sort of let it drop. We really didn't figure it would be an issue. So, when Dick tells me how he wants to run that part, I will write up a rule for that, and send it to hime for approval. When he says it's good to go, I'll post it on the listing.

The thinking right now is that you would be able to do just what you want to do as long as

you do as you say and give an appropriate prize for each site. Haven't decided about restricting the use of a new garmin x series on the Sissy Site. We really thought most cachers with a super GPS wouldn't be caught dead at the Sissy Site. How would you feel if someone with a Yellow Etrex beat you out at the Sissy Site? If we are swamped and have the 70 + participants I am predicting we may have to restrict to only one site. Also if the weather is terrible I don't want those in the field to suffer for two hours. Since you will be there early we can probably work you in. Thanks for bringing up the question, I will have to check with the crew. Dick, W7WT

Just in case you didn't follow another topic where I asked for information to make a decision

on the questions that Hawk brought up - the rules on the cache page address what you can do. This is a summary of what was decided in the other topic that I have now closed.

Thank you for your input. I have also heard from Geodiver, the Sissy Site Manager. Most seem to think as long as it is a comsumer GPS and at the site you have good alignment and reception of the satellites, there is no significant difference in the models. Since the prizes are all about the same, other than bragging rights and everyone is a winner. I will recommend

that cachers can choose which site they wish to participate in and use any comsumer grade GPS. Also the Sissy Site Manager has no problem with the name which we will keep. Time will tell if this is the right decision. To enter into the Elevation part they will have to participate in the Expert Site first. Again that you for your input. I will now close this topic. Dick, W7WT

The GPS Accuracy Game will be from 11 AM to 1 PM. For those of you that arrive too late to participate in that part of it but would still like to check out your GPSs, you will be able to do so. I made up two signs today. One for the Sissy Site with the coordinates on it and one also for the Expert Site. They will be set in the general area of search during the game. After 1 PM we will finish measuring and recording the distance and bearing from GZ and then remove all flags and clear the field. At that point we will set the appropriate sign with the name and coordinates at GZ. So you can just walk on the field and check out your

GPS. Remember these are set by a Surveyor using professinal equipment. There will no prizes associated with this part of the game. Dick, W7WT

Edited by W7WT

This is really shaping up... I can't wait to best my 6th place finish last year. :P

Y'all need any more help with anything, feel free to put me to work.

Mrs. Shop99er here

Well I think you've about guaranteed yourself a below 6th place finish! Ya done went and said it and you know that jinxes it!

I know there are a few people coining with their fancy-smanchy Garmin CX machines so ya never know.

I will be expecting to finish in the bottom 10%...again... I may be bad at this but at least I'm consistant.

Thanks for the offer of help. We'll put you to work if we need to.

Just a fast heads up.

We are firming up plans for the Spring Fling so keep checking on the event listing for updates on what's going on.

There are some new twists for the GPS accuracy game this year. In addition to the Expert Site where you can find ground zero then estimate the elevation, we will have a "Sissy" site for those who want an easier find AND we are going to have a Kids Site for GPS Accuracy!

The Kids Site will be very kid friendly and it will be something kids of all ages can play without a lot of stress.

Question:

Is there any way a CITO event could be incorporated into this day at/near the Fling location?

A lot of us really want to do both, and if we could have both be close, it would make things so much easier (especially those of us traveling a good distance and those from out of state).

Question:

Is there any way a CITO event could be incorporated into this day at/near the Fling location?

A lot of us really want to do both, and if we could have both be close, it would make things so much easier (especially those of us traveling a good distance and those from out of state).

Didn't you know Kent is on the way to Manchester? :blink::ph34r::rolleyes::ph34r:

Question:

Didn't you know Kent is on the way to Manchester? :):):):D

:):)

Remember I said "traveling a good distance and those from out of state"...like the Wenatchee gang, Lep and kealia & Hula Bum...

I was just hoping...

Don't forget those die-hards coming from out of the country, too! :)

Just for general information....

We think we are going to be attended by people from:

Canada

Idaho

3 from California

Texas

the Carolinas

Pennsylvania

Not only will we be nationally attended we will be internationally attended! HOLY COW!!!

For those of you who are thinking about doing the Kent CITO event and then the Fling you should plan for about an hour travel time between the two. Port Orchard is across the water from Seattle but it's an hour drive around or an hour ferry ride.

The event crew is firming up all the details for the GPSr games. There will be, in addition, to the adult sites for GPS accuracy a kids area. The Kids GPS game will be easy for all ages. There will also be a Scavenger Hunt game for the kids to keep them occupied if they get bored at the craft table.

We hope we'll see you there! Dirty or not (for those CITOing before hand).

shop99er

Edited by Shop99er

Just an update on the GPS Accuracy Game. It will now run from 1100 (11AM) to 1330 (1:30 PM). We have extended it a half hour. The awards will be granted at 1430 (2: 30 PM). After we have measured, recorded and cleared the field, we will set an appropriate sign at the GZs and will also leave the standard platform with the accurate elevation indicated on it. So if you arrive late you can still go out on the field and check out the accuracy of your GPS. Remember the GZs and the elevation is accurately set by two surveyors using professional equipment. Dick, W7WT

Hopefully your list of states is at least one state short. :(

After the superbowl, we have been trying to forget Pittsburg, PA. Will be looking forward to meeting you at the GPS Accuracy Game. Dick, W7WT

I've just left a "will attend" note on the event page. As for the Super Bowl, you all can have your revenge by using local officials to referee the GPS Accuracy Game. I fully expect to be disqualified for having one foot out of bounds. Although I'd prefer to be whistled for a holding call, since Ambrosia will be there. :(

After the superbowl, we have been trying to forget Pittsburg, PA. Will be looking forward to meeting you at the GPS Accuracy Game. Dick, W7WT

I've just left a "will attend" note on the event page. As for the Super Bowl, you all can have your revenge by using local officials to referee the GPS Accuracy Game. I fully expect to be disqualified for having one foot out of bounds. Although I'd prefer to be whistled for a holding call, since Ambrosia will be there. :(

I am the Chief Referee for the GPS Accuracy Game, but since I can't whistle, there will be no

penality for holding. However, ALL of us will be watching to see if you sign up for the Expert Site or the Sissy Site. Dick, W7WT

I am the Chief Referee for the GPS Accuracy Game, but since I can't whistle, there will be no

penality for holding. However, ALL of us will be watching to see if you sign up for the Expert Site or the Sissy Site. Dick, W7WT

:(

Dick,

I have to pipe in here to say that although the event sounds like it will be great fun and I'm really looking forward to it, finally getting the opportunity to meet you will be worth the drive down from Vancouver! :(

Edit: bungled quote punctuation

Edited by Half-Canadian

Well if there ain't a penalty for holding, I can think of better ways to spend my time than embarrassing myself by playing a GPS accuracy game. :(

:(

Dick,

I have to pipe in here to say that although the event sounds like it will be great fun and I'm really looking forward to it, finally getting the opportunity to meet you will be worth the drive down from Vancouver! :(

Edit: bungled quote punctuation

WoW. the Old Man thanks you. Guess, I had better wear my Sunday Karhartts.

:(;)

It looks like I will be unable to attend, and will be unavailable until after 6pm. If there’s any interest in meeting for a beer in Tacoma after the Fling, let me know and I’ll organize an Unofficial Post-Fling Beer Consumption Splinter Group Event (UPFBCSGE).

It looks like I will be unable to attend, and will be unavailable until after 6pm. If there’s any interest in meeting for a beer in Tacoma after the Fling, let me know and I’ll organize an Unofficial Post-Fling Beer Consumption Splinter Group Event (UPFBCSGE).

Sorry you won't be able to make it Chris. We were hoping to get a picture of you in your KILTS at the SISSY SITE.

Well if there ain't a penalty for holding, I can think of better ways to spend my time than embarrassing myself by playing a GPS accuracy game. :ph34r:

Considering how many of the 'high number' cachers end up towards the bottom of these lists..... I thinking that the 'holding' maybe more of a comfort factor than a penalty!

Edited by Shop99er
Well if there ain't a penalty for holding, I can think of better ways to spend my time than embarrassing myself by playing a GPS accuracy game. :anibad:

Considering how many of the 'high number' cachers end up towards the bottom of these lists..... I thinking that the 'holding' maybe more of a comfort factor than a penalty!

And we will have some "high number" cachers there. I see that Moun10bike with 3808 finds has indicated he will be there. I don't know if anyone else coming has more than that or not. I just checked another BIG Geocacher, Bull Moose & Baby Moose will be there.

Dick, W7WT

Edited by W7WT

Hey hey hey, I may be able to comoe up for this event. Would love to meet some of the people I've only 'chatted' with.

I'll keep an eye out for this.

I am looking forward to meeting you as well -_- .

Roy are you going to be at the Spring Fling? It would be an honor to have you.

I would finally meet Roy from Illinois. Hope you can make it.

Dick, W7WT

Edited by W7WT

Dick, W7WT

Well if there are going to be two Illinois transplants there, I better try to get my wife to come along so I'm not the only cheesehead.

Dick, W7WT

Well if there are going to be two Illinois transplants there, I better try to get my wife to come along so I'm not the only cheesehead.

Roy is from Illinois too? I'm a East Alton/Woodriver transplant myself. If the St. Helens hike doesn't come off I hope to be there.

I think you have your events mixed up. Isn't your date for the St. Helens hike the same as the GeoLuau (August) not the Spring Fling (April)? :ph34r:

And if we can possibly schedule an event on a date that interferes with anything else... please let us know. :(

Dick, W7WT

Thanks Bull, when you mentioned Wisconsin, I realized back in 2003 I had driven the entire state and never even looked for a cache. I have never found a cache in Wisconsin but we will take care of that this summer. I have changed my route from Dubuque to Freeport to swinging up into beautiful southern Wisconsin and picking up about 5 or 6 caches. I love southern Wisconsin. Sure could use some of that Swiss Cheese right now.

Dick, W7WT

Thanks Bull, when you mentioned Wisconsin, I realized back in 2003 I had driven the entire state and never even looked for a cache. I have never found a cache in Wisconsin but we will take care of that this summer. I have changed my route from Dubuque to Freeport to swinging up into beautiful southern Wisconsin and picking up about 5 or 6 caches. I love southern Wisconsin. Sure could use some of that Swiss Cheese right now.

Last time I was in Wisconsin I didn't do any caches, either, even though I was right by one for half a week! :ph34r: I blame it on too much responsibility on that trip, and being with mainly non-geocachers. :( Though I really regret not pushing it now. :P

I know this has nothing to do with Wisconsin, or even cheese for that matter, :unsure: but , I am closing in on an update post on the Spring Fling, specifically the Kids boards and some details about the games and goings on about them.

This has been a test of the Spring Fling Broadcast System...Continue on with the cheeshead chatter! :unsure:

This has been a test of the Spring Fling Broadcast System...Continue on with the cheeshead chatter! :unsure:

HEY!! We're going to be in Wisconsin in September!! Mark has a Navy ship reunion in, I think, Appleton, Wisconsin. Of course we've scheduled extra days for a little caching.....

... it's not about the numbers.... it's about the CHEESE!!!!

HEY!! We're going to be in Wisconsin in September!! Mark has a Navy ship reunion in, I think, Appleton, Wisconsin. Of course we've scheduled extra days for a little caching.....

Don't forget about the world famous "Cheese Days" festival the weekend of September 16-17 in Monroe WI. It's something everyone should experience at least once in their lives :unsure:

Don't forget about the world famous "Cheese Days" festival the weekend of September 16-17 in Monroe WI. It's something everyone should experience at least once in their lives :unsure:

Been there, done that. My first teaching job was at Freeport, Illinois just 17 miles south of Monroe, WI. That was way back in 1948 to 1957. I realized why I didn't find many caches in Wisconsin was I was back in Freeport. I had been invited to the 50th reunion of the class of 1952, and I was a teacher. We then drove to Duluth from Freeport and as I remember there was only one cache in a State Park we had planned on staying. We made such good time that we went on to Grand Rapids, MN and never found any caches. This was in July of 2002. I was in Duluth last summer, I should have crossed the river and pick up a few in Superior.

Dick, W7WT

Been there, done that. My first teaching job was at Freeport, Illinois just 17 miles south of Monroe, WI. That was way back in 1948 to 1957. I realized why I didn't find many caches in Wisconsin was I was back in Freeport. I had been invited to the 50th reunion of the class of 1952, and I was a teacher. We then drove to Duluth from Freeport and as I remember there was only one cache in a State Park we had planned on staying. We made such good time that we went on to Grand Rapids, MN and never found any caches. This was in July of 2002. I was in Duluth last summer, I should have crossed the river and pick up a few in Superior.

Dick, W7WT

There are quite a few good caches in Freeport now -- at least there were the past two years when I was there. My Godmother lives in Monroe and I try to get back to visit her at least once each year. I even have a baseball cap in my collection from the Freeport High School team that features their mascot -- the Fighting Pretzels :blink:

They were a lot of virtuals that I did in 2002. One in Krape Park (spelled backwards Krape Park). This time I think we will only pick up the Kid Cache. There is one at the Community College but parking can be a pain. I will be wearing my W7WT cap at the Spring Fling but I will bring along my Pretzel Cap. The class gave me a stadium blanket with a big Pretzel on it for coming the longest distance. Now I know I must wear my Sunday Karhartts to meet you. Dick, W7WT