Spring Fling 2006

Shop99er

Warm up your GPSr and mark your calendar!

The SPRING FLING 2006 is just around the corner! <_<

On Saturday, April 22nd we will be holding the 2nd annual Spring Fling Event !!

It will be held at the Waterman Club in Port Orchard which is the same place as the Halloween event.

Yes, W7WT and his crew will host the GPS accuracy contest again.

Yes, this will be a pot luck event.

YES THERE WILL BE AN EVENT COIN!!!

Watch the event listings towards the end of January for the official listing and more information.

Hope we'll see you there!

Edited by Shop99er

Yes, W7WT and his crew will be there for the GPS Contest. The thinking right now is that we will only have one session probably from 11 to 1 PM. We may have two sites one called the Sissy site which will have good satellite reception and the other over near the out building and trees that will have somewhat lessor satellite reception. It will be called the Expert site and will be for the new Garmin X series and any others that think their GPS is good enough to be in the expert site. I doubt if there will be much advantage of one over the other. GZ this year will be set by a surveyor. It will be conducted similar to the Luau where you need to give a prize to enter the contest and everyone wins. CU there. Dick, W7WT

Edited by W7WT

Fairly Important Notice!!!

The first posting had this event listed for the 29th of April. Erase that from your calendars....it's actually going to be on the 22nd of April.

Yeah, we know...CITO events.... well, haul some trash then haul yourself over to the Waterman Club in Port Orchard to rest your bones and have something warm to eat!

Sorry about the confusion.

Yes, W7WT and his crew will be there for the GPS Contest. The thinking right now is that we will only have one session probably from 11 to 1 PM. We may only have one site unless we can use another  site on the church property. GZ this year will be set by a surveyor.

It occurs to me to ask - what is a GPS contest, and why does it need a surveyor?

/newbie

Well, now. Since it was changed to the 22nd, there might be a distinct possibility that I might be able to come. :huh: The 29th didn't bode well for me.

Time will tell. I'm planning a trip to the Seattle area in the spring or early summer. I love coming and seeing all of the spring flowers, but I'm not too keen on caching in the rain so I may go a bit later.

Yes, W7WT and his crew will be there for the GPS Contest. The thinking right now is that we will only have one session probably from 11 to 1 PM. We may only have one site unless we can use another  site on the church property. GZ this year will be set by a surveyor.

It occurs to me to ask - what is a GPS contest, and why does it need a surveyor?

/newbie

-- Copy of email sent to Elde --

Good evening. This is Dick, W7WT. We had our first GPS Contest at the Spring Fling in April of last year. I set it up at Lent's Landing near the Warren Av. Bridge. I set GZ with my Garmin 76C with an external amplified antenna on top of a 15 foot pole to get the coordinates as accurate as possible. Let it acquire satellites until we had about 6 ft accuracy with WAAS "D"s. Then let it average until we got an accuracy of about 2.4 ft. This was GZ (Ground Zero) then we had over 30 cachers use the coordinates and to plant a flag where they thought GZ was. We measured when they were finished and gave out prizes by being the nearest to GZ. At the Luau in August we used a field near Jarstad Park and had two sites. We had a crew of six.. After they planted their flag we measured not only the distance from GZ but also the bearing. To enter the contest everyone had donated a prize and then they got the pick in the order of being the nearest. We posted both the distance and

bearing on a message board and a plotting board. Hope this will answer your question. This year we have a Geocacher that is a surveyor who will set GZ with a professional GPS. The coordinates for GZ will be accurate as possible.

Dick, W7WT

Edited by W7WT
  I love coming and seeing all of the spring flowers, but I'm not too keen on caching in the rain so I may go a bit later.

Now it's a pretty closely guarded secret but...and you have to promise not to tell anyone.... it really doesn't rain that much here. Oh sure we're going on day 23 of straight rain but that's unusual. Really! It is!!

Okay, here's how it works... if it spits rain a little in the morning they call it a rain day. You could get sprinkles in the morning and it's glorious in the afternoon. On the other hand it could be just sprinkling in the morning and you see animals pairing up 2 by 2 around noon.

You just never know but from our experience we've gotten wetter from plowing through brush in the woods than we've gotten from actual rain hitting us.

All I can say is...two words... GOR-TEX!

Hope we see you in April!

You just never know but from our experience we've gotten wetter from plowing through brush in the woods than we've gotten from actual rain hitting us.

After some bushwhacking out behind Silverdale today - I'm thinking a wetsuit would be useful caching garb. Does PADI have a "Forest with too damm much Salal" certification?

I love coming and seeing all of the spring flowers, but I'm not too keen on caching in the rain so I may go a bit later.

Now it's a pretty closely guarded secret but...and you have to promise not to tell anyone.... it really doesn't rain that much here. Oh sure we're going on day 23 of straight rain but that's unusual. Really! It is!!

Okay, here's how it works... if it spits rain a little in the morning they call it a rain day. You could get sprinkles in the morning and it's glorious in the afternoon. On the other hand it could be just sprinkling in the morning and you see animals pairing up 2 by 2 around noon.

:D I'm on to all your 'Seattle is a really rainy place' propaganda. :D Just ask Recdiver. :D

I'm just a little traumitized by the buckets of rain during the Bellingham CM. Coming from Wenatchee, I thought that I was going to drown! :D And then what happens? I come home and the next day it rains all day here. :D:D

:D I'm on to all your 'Seattle is a really rainy place' propaganda. :D Just ask Recdiver. :D

I'm just a little traumitized by the buckets of rain during the Bellingham CM. Coming from Wenatchee, I thought that I was going to drown! :D And then what happens? I come home and the next day it rains all day here. :D:D

You rang! Ya see it's what I've been saying all along, IT RAINS IN WESTERN WASHINGTON A LOT! Now the naysayers will have you believing that we mossbacks are just perpetuating the Rainy City myth. Like 23 days of measurable precipitation doesn’t say it all. There is a reason we have a rain forest or why moss will grow on anything that doesn’t move to quickly on this side of the hill. It is called RAIN. Sheesh! :D

edit to add Ya wonder why the rattlesnakes don't come to this side of the hill, it's cuz they'd drown. Nuff said.

Edited by Recdiver

After some bushwhacking out behind Silverdale today - I'm thinking a wetsuit would be useful caching garb. Does PADI have a "Forest with too damm much Salal" certification?

A drysuit with mask and snorkle would have come in handy in Bellingham this weekend. I'll check on the PADI cert. :D

:D I'm on to all your 'Seattle is a really rainy place' propaganda. :D Just ask Recdiver. B)

You rang! Ya see it's what I've been saying all along, IT RAINS IN WESTERN WASHINGTON A LOT! Now the naysayers will have you believing that we mossbacks are just perpetuating the Rainy City myth. Like 23 days of measurable precipitation doesn’t say it all. There is a reason we have a rain forest or why moss will grow on anything that doesn’t move to quickly on this side of the hill. It is called RAIN. Sheesh! :D

edit to add Ya wonder why the rattlesnakes don't come to this side of the hill, it's cuz they'd drown. Nuff said.

:D:D:D

All you wetbacks have to stick together, eh? :D

:P I'm on to all your 'Seattle is a really rainy place' propaganda. :D Just ask Recdiver. :D

I'm just a little traumitized by the buckets of rain during the Bellingham CM. Coming from Wenatchee, I thought that I was going to drown! ;) And then what happens? I come home and the next day it rains all day here. :D:(

You rang! Ya see it's what I've been saying all along, IT RAINS IN WESTERN WASHINGTON A LOT! Now the naysayers will have you believing that we mossbacks are just perpetuating the Rainy City myth. Like 23 days of measurable precipitation doesn’t say it all. There is a reason we have a rain forest or why moss will grow on anything that doesn’t move to quickly on this side of the hill. It is called RAIN. Sheesh! :(

:D;):P

All you wetbacks have to stick together, eh? :D

The sad part is if we go a couple of weeks without rain people panic and start talking about a Drought! B):D

A drysuit with mask and snorkle would have come in handy in Bellingham this weekend. I'll check on the PADI cert. :D

I wear neoprene chest waders over shorts and a Gore-tex top. Like my Timex it's certified to about 30 FT. :)

Chuck, our surveyor has advised me he can also accurately determine the elevation at the sites. So, for the Expert Site after you set your flag we will record not only the distance and bearing but also

your elevation reading on your GPS. We will award a one year Premium Membership

($30) to the owner of the GPS that has the nearest elevation reading to the reading that Chuck has. This will be only for the Expert Site so those with a GPS that has a seperate elevation (barometer) you may wish to calibrate them at sealevel before you come to the event. We will not record the elevation for the Sissy Site.

If you have an external antenna feel free to use it. You can bring your $400 altimeter if you wish, but we will only record what is on your GPS.

Debbie has assured me that we can expect a dry warm sunny day for the event.

Dick, W7WT

Edited by W7WT

Debbie has assured me that we can expect a dry warm sunny day for the event.

I did??? I mean... I DID! Sunny it is. And if it isn't.... there's a toasty warm building we can hang out in!

We're still roughing the plan together but we know we're going to have the GPSr contest, which is a riot to play and quite a humbling experience, a game or two for the kids, LOTS of food and an event coin you can buy at the event.

This will be a pot luck event. If you'd like to bring your crock pot we will have access to power to plug that in. There is a oven/stove, microwave and fridge at the site so we can accomodate what ever it is you wish to do or bring. We'll provide a nice fruit punch and if I can get the Mr. to learn how to smoke a brisket.... some BBQ!

More details as we have them!

Debbie

The Truly Unpleasant Mrs. Shop99er

Ooooh....April's too far away. <_<

Not at all!! It's right around the corner!! Plans are already being made! Decorations gathered!

In addition to the GPS Accuracy game we'll also have a fun bean bag toss game for kids with a prize every time.

The Spring Fling is going to be held at the Waterman Club in Port Orchard this year. That means you'll have more room to get up and mingle. You can linger as long as you like and if it rains you'll have a warm place to sit and chat.

The new Garmin 60cx and 60csx are already in the hands of some lucky cachers. The others in the x series are expected to be shipped soon such as the 76cx and the 76csx. No, I won't be getting one, I am already GPS poor. They are suppose to

get a lock indoors and under heavy canopy and maintain it. Also more accurate. I hope to see a few in the Expert Site at the GPS Accuracy Contest. Are any of you planing on being there with one of the new X series. Good place to show it off.

Ooooh....April's too far away.  <_<

Not at all!! It's right around the corner!! Plans are already being made! Decorations gathered!

In addition to the GPS Accuracy game we'll also have a fun bean bag toss game for kids with a prize every time.

The Spring Fling is going to be held at the Waterman Club in Port Orchard this year. That means you'll have more room to get up and mingle. You can linger as long as you like and if it rains you'll have a warm place to sit and chat.

I'm impatient. -_-<_<

It sounds great!

The new Garmin 60cx and 60csx are already in the hands of some lucky cachers. The others in the x series are expected to be shipped soon such as the 76cx and the 76csx. No, I won't be getting one, I am already GPS poor. They are suppose to

get a lock indoors and under heavy canopy and maintain it. Also more accurate. I hope to see a few in the Expert Site at the GPS Accuracy Contest. Are any of you planing on being there with one of the new X series. Good place to show it off.

I doubt I'll get an X-series Garmin, but I do plan on purchasing a BlueTooth unit with the SiRFIII chipset, such as the GlobalSat BT-338. Accuracy is apparently on a par with the new Garmins. I should have that setup prior to the Fling. Wheee! :drama:

I doubt I'll get an X-series Garmin, but I do plan on purchasing a BlueTooth unit with the SiRFIII chipset, such as the GlobalSat BT-338. Accuracy is apparently on a par with the new Garmins. I should have that setup prior to the Fling. Wheee! :drama:

Thanks, We may have to get a more precise measuring device to seperate all the

new precise GPSs. Remember if you go to the Expert Site you have a chance for a Years Premium Membership ($30) if your GPS indicates the elevation nearest to what Chuck, our Surveyor says it is. You are not going to chicken out and go to the sissy site are you??

Okay... here's how it's looking at this point.

1) :D The GPS accuracy game is going to have a Sissy Site and an Expert Area. We are also working on having a kids only portion to this game.

For those of you who haven't attened a shop99er event and played this game here's how it works (Readers Digest version).....

You bring a caching related item as your 'entry fee'. When you sign up for the game you will be given a flag and a set of coordinates. You use your GPSr to find your ground zero which will be close by (no driving elsewhere to locate them), plant your flag and hope for the best. W7WT and his crack crew will measure how far you are from ground zero and announce the winners. The closest to GZ will be called in order and you will be allowed to choose a prize from the 'entry fee" prize table. If we can get the kids game going the kids will use kid caching related items as their fee and prize base. Everyone who plays...wins.

W7WT is going to be donating a one year premium membership to Geocaching.com as a bonus prize to the closest to GZ. This is just one of the reasons that W7WT earns our respect and love.

2) :) There will be a craft table for kids. We provide coloring pages, crayons, beads and what-not so the kids can entertain themselves.

3) :) The first 24 kids through the door will receive a special goodie bag filled with candy, crafts and toys.

4) :D Also for the kids will be a bean-bag toss game with winners every time.

5) :) Food. Oh good golly there's going to be food. We're working on being able to have some smoked brisket, sausage and turkey breasts there but we're still in the pre-buying/learning stage about smoking meats.

We are thinking about having a baked potato bar. We'll provide the taters and fixins. And we'll have hot dogs for those who prefer 'walk around food'.

And...if we can get one hunted down at a reasonable price we're going to have a chocolate fondue fountain for everyone.

This is still a pot luck so we're asking that you bring something if you can along with your favorite beverage.

6) Yeah, the event coin has been made. Available at the event for $6.50. Still limiting this to one per caching family since it's a short run of coins.

More details when we have them!

:D

The $30 that I will donate is for the one that has the nearest elevation indicated

on their GPS to what Chuck, our surveyor indicates. Chuck advises me that he can

determine a accurate elevation for the Expert Site. We will do this only for the Expert Site. That Cacher will of course be able to select a prize according to how far his flag is from GZ. Don't bother to bring your $300 altimeter as we will only record what your GPS indicates. After the contest we will mark the GZs at each site with the coordinates indicated so if you arrive late you can always check out your GPS at each site.

Edited by W7WT
That link doesn't seem to work for me, but I found the page after doing a search.  Link.

Thanks for listing the event page!  Looks good.  :huh:

I have enjoyed finding your caches in the Wenatchee area. Will be looking forward to meeting you. Will you hubby be wearing KILTS? We expect all REAL MEN in KILTS

to use the EXPERT SITE.

Having said that, I realize it takes a REAL MAN to just wear KILTS. NO! I am not one of them.

Edited by W7WT
That link doesn't seem to work for me, but I found the page after doing a search.  Link.

Thanks for listing the event page!  Looks good.  :)

I have enjoyed finding your caches in the Wenatchee area. Will be looking forward to meeting you. Will you hubby be wearing KILTS? We expect all REAL MEN in KILTS

to use the EXPERT SITE.

:) Thank you! I'll by looking forward to meeting you, too.

If I'm able to come, at this point it looks like it may just be me. I'll tell my husband what you said about the kilts, though. :huh::)

Just ordered a 76CSX. I'm working on my schedule to be there. Lightly used 76CS for sale :D

gg's maggie kicks my --- under any cover. It will be interesting to see what Garmin has cooked up.

Just ordered a 76CSX. I'm working on my schedule to be there. Lightly used 76CS for sale :D

gg's maggie kicks my --- under any cover. It will be interesting to see what Garmin has cooked up.

I hope both you and your new 76CSX make it. I will finally get to meet you. I assume you are coming on your boat so set the altitude to zero before you come to the event. Steve of the 4 Grays has a new 76CX and says it is amazing. I am sure he can slip away from the Kids Accuracy Site long enough to check out his new GPS at the Expert Site. Dick

Keep your eyes peeled here and on the cache page for a link to the GPSr List of Shame. I will be posting the results of the GPSr accuracy game from Spring Fling 05 and GeoLuau 05.

Think you can beat some of our results? Come to the Fling and try!

This is going to be an exciting GPS Accuracy Game, with the new more accurate

GPSs and if you have noticed we are getting much better satellite reception with WAAS and Ds on the bars. If you have an older GPS such as the 76S and others with a barometer you should enter the Expert Site and try for the $30 winner on elevation. We will have a short tripod with a platform on top that you will set your GPS on and we will record your elevation or altitude. The tripod will be near the Expert site and its elevation will be set by Chuck our Surveyor and Expert Site Manager. Only Chuck will know what the elevation is and will give me an envelope with the winner's number, his elevation and the official elevation. I will open the envelope at the awards session. Dick, CEO GPS Accuracy Game

Never attended one of these events before but I will be looking forward to this one. What I have not seen mentioned is entry fees (other than cache related items) and costs for food etc. How does all this work?

Coming to the Spring Fling doesn't cost you anything!

The 'entry fee' is actually a caching suitable prize that you bring to enter into the GPS Accuracy contest. Everyone brings a prize and everyone who plays wins a prize. At the end of the game we'll put all the prizes on a table and go down the list of cachers in order. Closest to ground zero chooses a prize first and so on.

You don't have to play the game if you don't want to. You can come just to socialize and grab an event icon.

No charge for the food. We'll supply a good amount of food but we're asking people to bring a dish if they can. It's not necessary. You won't go home from our events hungry.

Keep your eyes peeled here and on the cache page for a link to the GPSr List of Shame. I will be posting the results of the GPSr accuracy game from Spring Fling 05 and GeoLuau 05.

OK, boys and girls, the standings from the first Spring Fling and GeoLuau II are posted here. This list will stay posted, even after the 2006 Fling is over. It will also be updated with the results from Fling 06, as soon as Dick (our Esteemed CEO of GPS Games) sends me the results.

OK, boys and girls, the standings from the first Spring Fling and GeoLuau II are posted here. This list will stay posted, even after the 2006 Fling is over. It will also be updated with the results from Fling 06, as soon as Dick (our Esteemed CEO of GPS Games) sends me the results.

Thanks Mark for publishing the Hall of Shame. I also have the plots on a universal plotting board of the sessions at the Luau. They will be available if anyone wishes to look at them, at the upcoming Spring Fling. During the 05 Luau a look at the logs and plotting board for the two sessions shows some interesting results. At the earlly session 15 out of 25 (60%) of the participants were within five feet of GZ. The plotting board showed a cluster of finds with GZ in the center. In the second session only 2 out of 25 (8%} were within five feet of GZ. Also the plotting board showed a pattern that was skewed off to the side of GZ. Sorry, no one thought to look at the pattern of the satillites. Unless we get swamped or terrible weather we will again measure both the distance and bearing from GZ and communicate them to the message center as soon as they are measured and you can see both the distance and bearing on both the "How did I do" list and the universal plotting board.

Yes it looks like the arrangement of the satellites does make a difference.

Less than two months day for the event. Dick, W7WT

I HOPE to have a 60CSx in the very near future, and was wondering if a person would be able to participate in both the sissy site and the expert site with two different gizmos? If I was to pay two entance fees via two prizes, could I use my Meredian Gold for the sissy site, and my 60CSx in the expert site? Or could I be so bold as to play off the excuse that I JUST got the Garmin and am not yet familiar with it and use it in the sissy site?

I actually wouldnt do that. If I have the CSx it will be used on the expert site, but what is going to determine the regulations in participation between the two sites?

Is it going to be a case where certain models will not be allowed on the sissy site,and if it is, will there be a list available at the registration table stating the gizmos that qualify for the sissy site, or is this going to be a case by case basis determined by experience? I dont know if anyone else has thought of these questions and I just wanted address them before hand.

Edited by -Hawk-

I HOPE to have a 60CSx in the very near future, and was wondering if a person would be able to participate in both the sissy site and the expert site with two different gizmos? If I was to pay two entance fees via two prizes, could I use my Meredian Gold for the sissy site, and my 60CSx in the expert site? Or could I be so bold as to play off the excuse that I JUST got the Garmin and am not yet familiar with it and use it in the sissy site?

I actually wouldnt do that. If I have the CSx it will be used on the expert site, but what is going to determine the regulations in participation between the two sites?

Is it going to be a case where certain models will not be allowed on the sissy site,and if it is, will there be a list available at the registration table stating the gizmos that qualify for the sissy site, or is this going to be a case by case basis determined by experience? I dont know if anyone else has thought of these questions and I just wanted address them before hand.

First things, first. The Official Rules for the game are now posted on the listing. These rules have been reviewed by and concurred on by the GPS Game CEO. As always, no whining. We can discuss bribes in private.

Now, as to -Hawk-'s question regarding the use of multiple gizmos...

We had talked about that very thing, but sort of let it drop. We really didn't figure it would be an issue. So, when Dick tells me how he wants to run that part, I will write up a rule for that, and send it to hime for approval. When he says it's good to go, I'll post it on the listing.

First things, first. The Official Rules for the game are now posted on the listing. These rules have been reviewed by and concurred on by the GPS Game CEO. As always, no whining. We can discuss bribes in private.

Now, as to -Hawk-'s question regarding the use of multiple gizmos...

We had talked about that very thing, but sort of let it drop. We really didn't figure it would be an issue. So, when Dick tells me how he wants to run that part, I will write up a rule for that, and send it to hime for approval. When he says it's good to go, I'll post it on the listing.

Just in case I am misunderstanding.....I am not whining :laughing: Listen for the phone to ring, for a private "consultation". Just kidding.

I honestly thought that these may be questions that may come up and figured that it would be better to get them ironed out now vs. later.

I am not sure if I am overreacting to the 'Hype' of the new X series Garmins, but I am sure there will be a few of them there and just wanted to clear it up.