Cache Maintenance

If no problems arise what is a typical timeframe one should use to check/restock ones caches? Every 3, 6, 9 months?

Thanks,

HolyCowboys

I will check a if I see that several experianced cachers have loged DNFs on a cache of mine. If I see a DNF posted by a noobie i am not going to check on the cache.

There's no hard and fast rule. The main need is to respond as promptly as you reasonably can when cachers report problems. If you can't get there quickly for some reason (like you're out of town on business for a month), then temporarily disable the cache so that people don't waste their time hunting for a cache that has problems or has gone missing.

I had a DNF on one of my caches recently. I didn't do anything about it because the cacher didn't have many finds; it's a somewhat tricky hide, so it wouldn't surprise me that someone with less experience might not find it. A couple weeks later, there was another DNF by someone with over 500 finds. That cache immediately went on my to-do list. (It was right where it was supposed to be, by the way.)

Respond to more serious issues faster -- missing or damaged log, missing cache, damaged container. If it's just low on swag and you want to replenish it, that's great, but most caches tend to deplete over time, and if someone is mainly interested in finding lots of swag, they'll likely notice logs that yours is low and skip it if that's their choice.

If you're getting fairly regular visits to your cache, and none of the logs (or e-mails) indicate there are any problems, you may be able to go for an extended period of time without visiting the cache. It's still a good idea to get around to all of the ones you own once in a while, though, to make sure that they didn't get relocated to a spot that's not quite where you intended, and so on. But you don't have to schedule one massive maintenance outing for everything at once, unless that's what works best for you.

I don't have any rule. I try to visit each cache once a year, but with the number I have out there its not practical. There are some I get to a few times a year and others I haven't been to in 2 or more years.

The key is to be able to respond promptly to reported problems. I usually try to get out to the cache within a week of a reported problem, but sometimes I can get out there the next day and other times it may take several weeks.

I check when there is a DNF from a cacher with history I can trust or when there are notes that the cache is getting empty or there is a problem. I also check if I happen to be in the area. I think the bottom line for me is to have the cache in shape so that everyone who visits has a chance for a good geocaching experience.

JDandDD

If I get a log that doesn't sit right, I check it. Also try to get out every 6 mos. to check the contents. While I don't expect to have to keep it full of good stuff, it's kind of frustrating to go back after 6 months and find only the logbook and a pen.... and maybe a soggy business card. :( I don't trade, but can't help but think of the kids so I try to stay on top of them as much as possible. I have 2 that take about 30 minutes to get to so try to check on them a little more frequently (ie when I'm in the area) just to be sure.

:D

Criminal, thanks for the link. The gallery was well worth the visit. I haven't been west of the Mississippi in 20 years. Grew up in northern California. While I do love Florida (swamps, I really really really like 'em), I miss the mountains.

OT, I maintain when a note or DNF comes in with an issue. My swamp caches I try to check in the early fall before "cache season" starts. The last couple of years lots of flooding, so lots of missing caches. I could live without that .

Edited by Isonzo Karst
Just hide micros :D

Micros still have to be maintained. Probably more so than regular caches. The small logbooks tend to get filled up pretty quickly and the ubiquitous film canisters almost always leak.

I think way too many people hide them because they think they are maintenace free and they are far from it.