I'm New To The Forums But Can I Have A Mini-rant?

My capital Cities Euro coin whose mission it is to be photographed in the Capital Cities of European Union Member states is currently in New Zealand!!! Is NZ in the EU these days? ;-)

At this point let me say I do not a problem with this, love the fact it has gone so far in fact. I will however put a little mission tag on my next one.

Jon

Was the mission attached to the TB, many(most) cachers just move them on for the numbers and probably don't even look at the Internet page....  <_<

I don't always have an up-to-date paper listing of the cache on me, I don't visit GC.com to check the potential destination list of every TB which might or might not still be in every cache I plan to visit today, and I don't always want to hunt around a hillside looking for GPRS reception so I can make a WAP call to check on an TB's destination. This applies redoubled in spades when I'm on vacation, as it appears the finders of the OP's TB were in this case. They are fairly new cachers (this is their first TB, they must have been quite excited - I don't suppose many turn up in Portugal!)

I always take TBs unless there's something on them - preferably laminated, with the TB tag chain threaded through - to indicate that they aren't going the way I am. (Funnily enough, although I am a numbers junkie for caches and an icon junkie for coins, I don't make a point of counting TBs, and I don't many other cachers who do either.)

Most TBs are happy to make foreign trips, so if I find one in the UK on my last day of caching before I return to France and it has nothing written on it, then yep, it will most probably get taken along.

Edited by sTeamTraen
I always take TBs unless there's something on them - preferably laminated, with the TB tag chain threaded through - to indicate that they aren't going the way I am. 

<snip>

if I find one in the UK on my last day of caching before I return to France and it has nothing written on it, then yep, it will most probably get taken along.

I agree and add the mission sheet if not attached.

Again, I agree totally and did the same while on holiday last year (in France)

I always take TBs unless there's something on them to indicate that they aren't going the way I am.

Yep - if I come across a travel bug without a mission attached, I assume it's happy to go anywhere and pick it up. If it has no mission attached, when I get it home and read the page, I'll try to accomodate it as much as possible and even arrange future trips around it.

The exception is at a well-stocked TB hotel where I'll read all the tags and wherever possible, choose the one or two I can help the best.

Is it worse for a Travel Bug to move frequently or to sit in a cache for months on end? Our TBs may have missions but they are definitely secondary to keeping moving - it'a all part of the fun. They all seem to have a limited life anyway (one of ours is on its third incarnation and seems to have run into problems again) so the more places they visit, the better.

I'm also new and have trawled the pages looking for an appropriate place to rant about the same subject!

I read a log about a TB which was obviously close to the heart of a cacher in the USA - being a piece of jewellery which had belonged to her late father. She wanted the TB to travel from the US to Ireland, around Ireland and then back home. The TB owner had recently up-dated the mission on the TB page saying the mission had been accomplished and it was time for the TB to return home. She had e-mailed a new mission to the people holding it who took care to laminate the new mission and attach it to the TB.

Now I see it's gone to South Africa!

I have no personal interest in this TB but I do feel for the owner, especially as this item has sentimental value for the owner.

:blink: