What Constitutes A Big Day Of Caching?

OldBear

Big day? In 2004 I decided >40 was a big day at then-densities in California, and kinda tallied them. This based on observed megacacher logs. In 2005, I decided that with the proliferation of caches that number increased to >50.

Record setting uber daze, that's a different thread, isn't it? On those days GeoPirat or Leprachaun etal were 200+ or 240+, my party was following at probably 180 and 140.

What constitutes a big day of caching?

...After almost four years, and finding ONLY 279 caches (any trip caching near my home entails at least a hundred miles of driving, at minimum, and I've done the extreme of going 9000 miles r/t to find a cache), I've come to conclusion that it is not how many I find, but how much I enjoy the day I've spent.

However you measure it, measure the amount of fun and adventure you have. Don't count the amount of caches over the experience involved in getting to the cache.

That being said, it sounds like you had a great day.

I must agree with Metaphor. For me, the enjoyment of caching has nothing to do with find count. It is about getting out in the woods and getting some sun and air and looking for caches, just appreciating being alive, and perhaps having an adventure. Some of our best days caching have been days where we found only one or two caches, and one of our best days caching ever was in New Jersey, where we spent pretty much all day on a 5/5 multi, and declared a DNF on it by midnight (we had completed all seven stages, and we could see the final cache stage, and almost touch it, but we did not have the proper safety gear to allow safe retrieval from the understructure of a bridge high over a river gorge; we returned 5 weeks later with the right gear and finished it in 4 minutes.)

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

Periodically, I will plan out a caching day, and my wife and I , as well as another couple will do a 25-30 find day. It seems like a long day, when is all said and done, but a great time was had by all. On other occasions, I do a solo run and bag 10-15, and had just as much fun. If it is a single cache that I found that day and it was a spectacular find, than that as well will be classified a successful day!

Last June I did the Bremerton Cache Machine, and bagged 48, between 3:30 am and 10pm, would have been at least 15 more, but I had done a certain area previously. It was a long day that was fun, but not nearly as rewarding as lesser find days, due to the nature of a machine.

i've done 20 in a day driving 350 miles to do them all. the best part about it all is that i found 18 before my buddie did. :D made him so mad. the next day he was ftf on 2 new caches and THOUGHT he got me back...little did he know i was ftf on 3 the same day. ha ha ha. thats what is the most fun for us, not the number of finds.

We only cache during the daylight hours.

I can remember when there was only 10 caches within 100 miles of my house.... and two finds in a day was considered good.

A good day now is a minimum of 45 caches.

We've had numerous 70 and 80 cache days.

We've had one day with 102 finds.

Our best ONE day (daylight hours) hunting record is now 110 finds, and one event (we quit hunting at 4pm).

We don't like to rush thru the list, so we now casual cache (anything under 60 finds). :laughing:

I would say it depends where you live. (Duh) Folks out in the sticks have to travel alot farther, and mules only go so fast. My personal best was a week ago, 54. In Lodi, California where there are over 300 in a 10 mile square area. The Mecca of geocaching? Hmmmmm.......

"We only cache during the daylight hours." I knew there were Vampire Cachers..As well as Wherewolves, Gobilns, etc.

Edited by the5Bucks

Thought Ihad posted to this thread before but guess I did not. I have done the BoB series in Chicago (sadly they are archived) and searched for 110 total and found 98 or 99 in about 6 hours. I did not haveany mapping software so it could have been faster. I also ran it solo. It was a great experience but would not likely do it solo again. I have also had fun finding just a couple in a day. Initially I cached primarily solo but as I meet more cachers I find that I do a lot of my cache runs with other cachers to make the experience more enjoyable. I still solo cache but usually just grabbing caches when I am in an area, going somewhere, or going to an area to hike and such. Like many other have mentioned it is about the experience whether you find 1 or 100.

My biggest cache haul happened about two weeks ago. I was in Spokane for the Bloomsday Race, and I decided to do some caching while I was in town. My goal was 25 in one day. At the end of the day, I found 17, had 5 DNFs, and ran out of daylight before I could reach the last three.

I walked everywhere I went that day, and my feet sure knew it by the time I was done. Must have logged 30 miles that day. Whoo, was I dog-tired! But it was a good experience. I got to understand my GPS a lot better, and learned a lot about what to look for when trying to find a cache. (Spokane's a good place for that...lots of micros!)

I had a lot of fun doing that, and will probably do it again next time I'm in Spokane (or any other big city).

On January 5, 2006, my son (TXRangers) and I found 32 consecutive caches with no "Did Not Finds". We were in the field for 14 hours and covered 260 miles of East Texas country roads....

A big day of caching takes all day and you had fun doing it. You come back tired, dirty, bleeding, and hungry, with an empty tank of gas.

By the sounds of it, I'd say you had a big day of caching.

I have had three big days of caching. One was with a large group when we went to an area well away from my usual "hunting ground." We found roadside caches, as well as caches that involved hikes. I found 47 that day. B)

Another time I went caching with someone who was nearing a milestone. We concentrated on mostly urban caches, the kind I rarely hunt by myself. I found 41 that day. ;)

The most caches I ever found while hiking was 32 when our group covered 12 miles hiking the trails of a large, open-space park. icon_smile_tongue.gif

The other day I went hiking with another cacher and she found 32. I got one. :P The numbers are not the point. It is getting outside, enjoying the outdoors, and the people you are with. :)

My best numbers day was when I found 31-solo. I was exhuasted. My best experience is any day I can hike a 5-10km loop and find 5 or 6 caches along the way. My usual weekend (one day)trip takes me at least 250km round trip and an average of 10-15 caches. I may have 0-5 DNF's as well. I call 'last cache' when I can barely see without a flashlight.

I signed up for a 24hr cache marathon event, cache page clearly states that this event is NOT a numbers run. Last year the group of about 20 found about 50 caches, with a few of them being a 3.5/4 terrain rating. I am going because I don't get to cache with a group very often and I think it will be a blast, I'm especially looking forward to bumbling around in the dark in a large crowd without attracting the police!

My best day to date is 114. I did 3 bike trails that day and hit everything I could find on the way from trail to trail. Before that I had 101 on a 24 hour cache run with a fellow geo cacher. I know it may sound crazy, but there are worst things to do out there now a days.

The most we've found in a single day is 12. However, even if we had found only 1, it still would have been the biggest and best day of caching. We took one of our sons, our daughter, 2 of her friends and our fearless leader (yellow lab Homer) on a 13 hour journey exploring ghost towns in the Colorado Rockies. It was a blast, and we were able to combine a couple of our favorite things: geocaching and 4x4 driving in the mountains. We still talk about this a couple of months later, and I'm sure that it will be talked about in the years to come.

That said, I would love to try and have a 50+ find day at some point. But, as others have said, it isn't about the numbers but the fun that you have looking for them!