Search Japan By Map?

barnis

is it possible to serach for geocaches by map or some other meathod. I'm looking ofr local caches and all i seem to be able to get is a list of hundreds of caches in the entire country of japan. Since they all just list names rather than cities i have no way of knowing if they are anywhere near me...without downloading each to my GPS.

I would assume that someone has written a google maps or google earth interface of some kind no?

If you have a Garmin, any of their Mapsource programs interfaces with Google Earth: don't know about any other brands. It would be easier to sort caches if you were a Premium member of Geocaching.com for only $30 a year. If not download GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) and use it to sort caches from your home coordinates. It is very handy to use and well worth the $20 one time registration fee. I see now that geocaching.com will also download a cache file that interfaces with Google earth but I haven't tried it. Good luck.

This post is old, so I don't know if the "home coordinates" feature existed when this was posted.

In your profile, there's an option to set "home coordinates". You can then search for caches near your home, and they will show up ranked by distance.

Also, if you go to a cache's page and click on the bottom map (not the top map), you can see the cache's immediate area, which you can then enlarge and scroll around the country. That's how I see all the caches in my area by map rather than list.