Sealing Altoids Containers

Hogosha

It seems that many people are fond of Altoids Tins for small caches. I believe the "weather resistance" of the cache could be enhanced by placing a piece of cut down bicycle tube around the container, helping keep out the elements. The tin should be sanded, primed, then sprayed with rustoleum, then hit with a few coats of wax.

Why not just use something other than an altoids tin that's already waterproof? I never could figure out the geocachers fascination with altoids tins. They rust, they leak... what's the attraction?

And sure, you can try to waterproof them (good luck!), but why waste the time where there are lots of little plastic containers with rubber seals readily available?

I believe the "weather resistance" of the cache could be enhanced by placing a piece of cut down bicycle tube around the container, helping keep out the elements.

That is an interesting thought, worth experimenting with. I recently replaced a cache and used 2 altoids tins; placing the narrower chewing gum tin inside the larger mint tin. The log book used was a regular notepad cut down with a jigsaw to match the size of the inner tin. I cammoed the outside with clear GOOP type glue and small sticks. It is experimental, and I am curious to see how well it works. Tiny trade items in caches like this usually are the type not to be affected by water anyway (such as coins)and Im just hoping the logbook stays dry. Id rather not use a bag, as they dont seem to work. Havent been able to find any tiny lock'n'locks, or I would use them instead.

Tiny trade items in caches like this usually are the type not to be affected by water anyway (such as coins)

Having cleaned out several waterlogged caches, it's no fun trying to clean mildew, rust, and general "gunk" off of coins.

I agree with the previous posters...save the altoids tin for only those places that won't be exposed to weather!

I've been playing with Altoids tins for years making small hiking survival kits. That being said, I think they are FAR from ideal to be used as a a geocache container, but then again, I also think 35mm film cannisters are also a poor choice.

Part of the fun I think is seeing if it CAN be done. As I said, I'm going to make a test cache, and see how it holds up. I'm always on the lookout for small containers of this type. I think the Altoid Tin caches will be around for a while.

Having put out my first altoids (the jumbo size not one the bitty ones) today, I can say that I know it won't be waterproof and that that will be a problem. OTOH, the waterproof otter box I originally stocked the cache with lasted three weeks. I wanted to test the waters with a cheaper solution before investing in another otter box. Not that it turned out to be that *cheap* since I found some bark at a cache I was doing and got all inspired and bought $5 worth of glue. But the cheapness was the original attraction. <_<

I never could figure out the geocachers fascination with altoids tins.

There cheap & small. Simple as that!

So a CHEAP, BAD container is better than a GOOD container that costs a couple bucks? I guess if you approach caching from a purely selfish viewpoint, you're right. I'm sure the future finders of your rusty, stinky, mildewy, dripping wet cache will understand completely. Carry on.

Remember - there are good ziplocks and then there are cheap ziplocks. Heavier bags tend to work better.

There are only 2 kinds of ziplock bags - those that have torn, and those that will. Being "heavy duty" is helpful if it's sitting in your freezer, but that doesn't make much of a difference sitting out in the woods under a rock. Putting a poor cache container in a ziplock only delays the inevitable - it will still end up wet.