'mark" Current Location With 60cs

Muirwoody

I have noticed this behavior before, but never as bad as yesterday. I'm at a spot in the open with an accuracy of 11' and 8 sats. I hit "mark". The screen to save my mark comes up and shows me 104' away from the mark. Repeated attempts produce the same results. I did get it down to say I was only 84'away. I shut the unit off, restarted and approached from different directions - same result. I'm afraid to use those coordinates for a cache..because I don't know how good they are. Anybody have an explanation? Thanks.

If you set it down and tell it you want it to average it will increase your accuracy. I normally set it down and let it average for about five minutes when I am setting a new cache. I have not had any complaints with the coordinates on any of my caches except the times when I reversed 2 of the numbers putting the searcher about 50' off. :blink:

I have been using this unit for 18 months and USUALLY have no problems - when I hit mark it shows me 0' away - which makes sense. It's just sometimes it does the weird reading thing. Yup - all my settings are right and I have placed many caches with no complaints. But I'm afraid to place that one. I'll go back next week and try again.

I've never had that problem since I bought my 60C two yrs ago. To be sure you have the latest 60CS firmware which is currently v.4.0, go to 60CS v.4.0 and update your unit. A friend of mine just bought his 60CS and it came with an older firmware version out of the box. Must have been sitting on a shelf somewhere. Sometimes a firmware update will straighten out these quirky bugs anyway. NOTE: I always back up my waypoint and track data first just in case before an update.