How Do I Get My Legend C To Auto Route

kevin308

HI,

My wife got me a brand new Legend C today to replace my yellow etrex. I have mapsource Great Brittian roads. (full map) I have put some maps on my legend but it will not auto route. It will only auto route with the roads that are the bace map. I have seen on map sourse that there is a little tick box that says "include route calculation data" (when sending a map to the GPS) but it is always greyed out and unclickable. does anyone here know what to do.

Your "Roads" software does not contain any route calculation data, so your GPSr has no route data to produce any routes (other than the basemap).

Sorry to say it, but you need City Select Europe v7 to get your unit to route properly. That's probably gonna cost MORE than your GPSr did.

There are some older European MapSource products out there that can also get your unit to autoroute. I don't know what version numbers work, but I think some older MetroGuide Europe maps have the routing data. Hopefully someone with more knowledge of the European maps will see this and give more info...

I think some older MetroGuide Europe maps have the routing data. Hopefully someone with more knowledge of the European maps will see this and give more info...

None of the MetroGuide-Eur versions are designed to provide auto-routing directly on your GPS receiver. I believe MG-Eur versions 4 and up provide auto-routing on a PC, but CitySelect-Eur or CityNavigator-Eur should be used for auto-routing on a GPS.

I don't know about the European version, but I have MetroGuide USA version 3.0 and autorouting works fine on my Vista C even though everything I have read says otherwise.

The product that was sold as MetroGuide-USA v3 doesn't support auto-routing of any kind. *But* the one sold as either version 4.01 or 4.02 which has MetroGuide map "data version 3.0" (Garmin's version numbers are anything but straightforward) does support auto-routing both on a PC and on suitable GPS receivers. That's probably the one you have.

It was a special exception since the CitySelect-NA product (using NavTeq data) available at the time had very poor rural coverage so Garmin let the MG-USA product (with TeleAtlas data) have GPS auto-routing capability. All newer US versions of MG and CS have come with NavTeq data and only the CS product supports GPS auto-routing in these versions.

However, there was no such special situation for the European products where the data source has always been NavTeq for both and the MetroGuide-Eur was never intended to support auto-routing on the GPS receiver.