Used Gpsr, Would Like Mapsource

Poidawg

I have a used gpsr. I would like to get the Mapsource cd for my area, and for my state, I dont know much about the software and what is available. Can you all educate me on what I need to buy. I do travel around and would like to find waypoints en route, but have no idea what I need.

Thanks in advance.

I live in the North Bay if that is important. I travel mostly within California, but sometimes to Reno.

If you direct me to a source for purchase - please keep in mind, Im on a limited income.

It's important to know which GPS you have; handheld or dashmount? Auto-router or not?

I'd rather not assume, but I'm guessing you have a Garmin or you wouldn't be asking for MapSource.

Generally,

Handheld non-auto-router: MetroGuide

Handheld auto-router: City Select

Dash mounts: City Navigator

You can't download by region or state; you gotta get the whole package.

In CA you can use CS and CN interchangeably. In other states, CN's maps download on very large portions (mb wise). You can use MetroGuide in auto-routers but you won't get auto-routing. You would do this 'cause MG is cheaper.

I would recommend Ebay for MetroGuide, but the others should be bought brand new as they have locked codes allowing you to service only 2 GPS. You'll have to shop around for them. I have had good service from offroute.com.

Good luck.

Edited by Chuy