First Post

Corn's Clan

:D

Just retired from the Air Force, and for Christmas got a eTrex Legend. Found my first cache Dec26 in Belleville Il.

Kind of bummed that I had to spend another $80 to get a half way good may for my GPS, Map Source, but I know it will pay off in the long run.

Looking to find out how to look for new caches in my area. Is there a tab I hit that will list just the new "Un found" caches??

Also I want to hide my first cache really soon, I picked up a TB and I want to start it going in my cache. Any suggestions on how to get permission on placing a cache in a state park, Baldwin il in fact.

Well it was GREAT finding this forum, hope I did not scare anyone away with all the questions, but it is a GREAT sport and I want to learn as much as I can about it.

L8R

:D

You can only get "un-found" caches on the search engine when you are a member. You get a lot of other cool stuff too when you become a member. I'm not one, but I've seen the bells-and-whistles.

As for putting a geocache in a state park, usually that's allowed. But you might wanna' check anyway. I'd suggest checking if that park has a website. If they don't, you would probably wanna' talk with a park warden. :D

Firstly, thanks for serving! Enjoy that retirement, you deserve it.

I find caches by first logging in, then doing a search based on the zip code for the area I am in (more often than not my home). Caches you have found will have a red check mark on the left, unfound caches will not. Search by zip code or other criteria. This much is part of the free service.

If you become a premium member, you can also get pocket queries, which can be useful in a number of ways. Pocket queries allow you to download up to 500 caches & descriptions based on selective criteria (cache type, difficulty, found, unfound, etc.).

As for gaining permission to hide a cache - I found out who administers the local parks in my town and contacted them. If you ask in the Midwest forum, you can get some Illinois specific advice. Additionally, that forum has a thread at the very top listing local geocaching organizations. The people in the organization closest to you will have VERY good information, as they have 'been there, done that' with the local parks, etc.

Keep in mind the forum seahc function is down right now, so a little perusing might be in order, or you can just ask outright.

Good luck, and happy caching!

Edited by New England n00b

First, I just wanted to say welcome to geocaching! :D

I seem to remember that caches in Illinois state parks are regulated and need to be documented and approved before being placed, but I don't know the details.

You may want to ask at the forums at www.gonil.org (geocachers of northern Il.) or one of the other Illinois geocaching organizations.

You can find a list here:

http://www.todayscacher.com/states/Illinois.asp

Is there a tab I hit that will list just the new "Un found" caches??

Yes, it's free for non-premium members.

Set-up your account and update your home coordinates. When it's set-up you can go to your account and on the right side you'll see "Search for nearest caches from your home coordinates (filter out finds)". Click on the "filter out finds" and you'll get a list of all of the caches from your home coordinates that you haven't found.

And, by the way welcome.