Garmin Handhelds Discontinued

Vlad

Sorry to barge in here but I talked with a Garmin tech last week while upgrading to City Select 7. He confirmed that this is the last upgrade for City Select before discontinuing the software. He also said that sometime next summer or fall, City Navigator will be offered as an upgrade to those who own City Select and the map segments will be broken up into smaller segments. Just relaying what I've been told.

This LINK shows some discontinued Garmins here.

Interesting that it shows the GPS V as being discontinued.

That listing is a bit odd. In addition to the GPS V, it also shows the 12 and 12XL as discontinued whereas Garmin's own site doesn't. OTOH, it doesn't list the eMap which definitely has been discontinued.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the new 'x' models replace the corresponding non-x ones. I'd expect the manufacturing cost to be almost the same for 'x' and non-x versions and clearly they'd have to sell the non-x versions for significantly less. So if my assumption is right it wouldn't make economic sense to continue making the older versions.

But the January 6th date seems premature since we haven't seen any of the new models actually available for sale yet.

If they're replacing the exiting chip with the Sirf III, they would go for the upper end models first. They may or may not make it available for the lower end models forcing people to go for the more expensive ones or get the less expensive ones with the older chipsets.

Frankly this is a major change overall in the industry as "regular" people are getting into GPS use by hooking up to their PPC and PDA's.

The next step is a PPC type GPS that's water proof and for field use as well. An ique M5 in an Otterbox so to spead with a SirfIII (maybe a phone too!:D

Edited by Alan2
May I ask how You came about this info?

I started a thread no so long ago that announced the demise of City Select. This info is from the same source.

Since Garmin is discontinuing these models now, I wonder if the "x" generation models might not be out very soon...?

Sorry, I don't have any info on the map segment sizes and if Garmin will deliver on their recent promises but historically-speaking, their word is pretty good.

Sorry to barge in here but I talked with a Garmin tech last week while upgrading to City Select 7. He confirmed that this is the last upgrade for City Select before discontinuing the software. He also said that sometime next summer or fall, City Navigator will be offered as an upgrade to those who own City Select and the map segments will be broken up into smaller segments. Just relaying what I've been told.

This is old news. City Slect are merged into City Navigator NT

NT is a new format that uses a new compression technique, so it takes up less space. Old GPS do not support this format (like 60CS)

There is a new firmware for 276 that make it support NT maps.

If Garmin do not release software for the old 60/76 series, you can no longer upgrade maps for them, you have to stay with the last version of City Select

It seems pretty fair to suspect that Garmin will be ending production of the older non-x models.

The price isn't that different and why even bother making lowtech models when you can get people to buy the new ones.. Saves them the a whole lot of manufacturing expenses.

Plus, as we all know, SanDisk has some interest in the new models as well.

This LINK shows some discontinued Garmins here.

Interesting that it shows the GPS V as being discontinued.

That listing is a bit odd. In addition to the GPS V, it also shows the 12 and 12XL as discontinued whereas Garmin's own site doesn't. OTOH, it doesn't list the eMap which definitely has been discontinued.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the new 'x' models replace the corresponding non-x ones. I'd expect the manufacturing cost to be almost the same for 'x' and non-x versions and clearly they'd have to sell the non-x versions for significantly less. So if my assumption is right it wouldn't make economic sense to continue making the older versions.

But the January 6th date seems premature since we haven't seen any of the new models actually available for sale yet.

That looks more like they are being discontinued by the dealer not Garmin, It is common for a retail dealer to discontinue a product that is show poor sales. I think the only time you see anything discontinued by Garmin is when they run out of them in there wharehouse.

The GPS 12 is still listed on Garmins web site. That is one of the first hand held GPSr that Garmin made. The Vista C, Legend C are not going away. What may be dropped in the Minimum advertised price.

Vlad, my guess is that someone gave you bad information. All discontinued products are listed on Garmin web site.

The day I bought my City Select and spoke to the garmin rep about the upgrade... She confirmed exactly what Doug in Alaska stated. City select is now discontinued, however we might be offered an upgrade at a cheaper price. Register your City Select if you haven't done so...

Sorry to barge in here but I talked with a Garmin tech last week while upgrading to City Select 7.  He confirmed that this is the last upgrade for City Select before discontinuing the software.  He also said that sometime next summer or fall, City Navigator will be offered as an upgrade to those who own City Select and the map segments will be broken up into smaller segments.  Just relaying what I've been told.
well keep your eyes peeled then, JohnnyV - my source is rock-solid. i imagine the website will get updated just as soon as the x models begin to ship.

I talked to Garmin today, they said they have no plans to discontiue the Legend C or the Vista C. Now some of the jobers that wholsale Garmin products have discontinued the Legend C and Vista C. This means dealers that cannot buy directly from Garmin will not be able to get the Vista C or the Legend C unless they find a new source.

I spoke with a Garmin rep today about CS & CN. He confirmed what everyone is saying. CS is out. He confirmed in a round about way that CN v8 will prob be out this June/July. I ask him if I purchased CN v7 could I upgrade to v8 when it came out. He said that if I did purchase it then I would be offered a disount price to upgrade when and if v8 came out. I ask him how much it would be and he said around $75.00 for the upgrade. I think I will just wait for v8 to come out in the summer.

Edited by IRISH~CACHER