No More Virtuals?

SparksWG3K

NEWBIE OBSERVATIONS

So, looking from the outside in gives me some different perspectives. I'm not even sure I understand the difference between locationless and virtual caches, but they didn't interest me much from what I was able to read. A treasure hunt needs a treasure!

Very well said! :unsure:

But the one thing that I have heard over and over about geocaching from other cachers is about the wonderful places it has taken them. Places that they would have never gone to had it not been for geocaching! The other thing I have heard so often is the wonderful people that we've all met because of geocaching! These are indeed treasures as well! :lol:

I'm not sure what you'd label my type as....I'm not a "purist" and I'm not a "virtual lover." I prefer having 31 flavors to just having vanilla. I basically like finding the best caches of each type. I prefer ones that take me to coolest places! I don't need a micro to make that happen....but I do need a GPS! :blink:

Edited by TrailGators
As I look at the category structure and proposals, it is easy to see that this approach to Waymarking has a lot of potential, from the inane to the truly valuable and adventuresome. There should be something here for everyone, and I think it is a great complement to the traditional, physical, treasure hunting geocaching sport!

I just pulled one paragraph out , but I appreciate a "newbie" perspective on the concept of Waymarking. Locationless and virtuals have always been a poor fit for the geocaching.com web site and a source of countless hours of hand wringing from both sides of the aisle (however those sides are defined). With time the Waymarking site will far exceed the functionality that both concepts need to thrive. We'll do our best to communicate that better.

If your hand hurts and you can't clicky clicky to a new site, sorry. I'm sure we'll integrate some functionality between the different sites as we enhance them with new features.

As I look at the category structure and proposals, it is easy to see that this approach to Waymarking has a lot of potential, from the inane to the truly valuable and adventuresome.  There should be something here for everyone, and I think it is a great complement to the traditional, physical, treasure hunting geocaching sport!

I just pulled one paragraph out , but I appreciate a "newbie" perspective on the concept of Waymarking. Locationless and virtuals have always been a poor fit for the geocaching.com web site and a source of countless hours of hand wringing from both sides of the aisle (however those sides are defined). With time the Waymarking site will far exceed the functionality that both concepts need to thrive. We'll do our best to communicate that better.

If your hand hurts and you can't clicky clicky to a new site, sorry. I'm sure we'll integrate some functionality between the different sites as we enhance them with new features.

Every time I go and check out Waymarking.com (and all these recent threads have inspired me to do so again), the more and more I am impressed with it. I'm one of those who was very against getting rid of locationless and virtuals, but it's happened, and I've moved on. I'm very excited with the possiblities of Waymarking, and I think that the new site is very well done and getting better every time I check it out. :unsure:

Now who's getting personal :blink: ?

In the end it's a tempest in a teapot. I will continue to enjoy the grandfathered virtuals, hoping that they will be maintained or adopted so we can maintain geocaching access to spots otherwise unavailable. Overall this is a terrific website, and I am still enjoying the game, so life as we know it goes on. Nobody's come up with a better mousetrap - Groundspeak must be doing something right.

But I still won't waymark. And you can't make me :unsure: .

I have virtual that is six miles from my house. It is in a beautiful park on a mountain top with spectacular views. It was a traditional cache and then they banned caches in that park so the admin agreed to let me convert it to a virtual since it was such a great spot! However, what is interesting to me is that it was visited 18 times in the first year. But since I converted it to a virtual it has only visited twice in two+ years. However, I bet if I stuck a micro up there, the number of visits would significantly increase. So the evidence is that most people don't like virtuals. For some reason, it is very important them to sign their names on even a tiny logbook! To me the awesome hike and finding the spot with the amazing views justifies doing the cache! Plus when you get back, you get to log your adventure with photos on the website where everyone can read it......and you get a smiley! :unsure: So my point is that I don't understand why it is so important for people to sign a tiny piece of paper, but that's the way it is.....

Just because your finds on the cache dropped doesn't mean it was because it was a virtual. It could be that everyone in your area already found it. The second biggest category in my finds list are Virtuals (second to traditionals). So it isn't fair to say that people don't like virtuals.

Personally I have hiked many peaks in Hanging Rock State Park just to claim virtuals. And the views were spectacular. Virtuals are caches. You may not be able to take something physically from a container but you definately take something away by being there.

The bottom line is that virtuals and web cams belong as geocaches. They have a precise location. You aren't looking for a red tailed woodpecker or a swinging bridge that could be anywhere. You are looking for something no matter if it is a box or a statue.

. . .  I'm sure we'll integrate some functionality between the different sites as we enhance them with new features.

Now that I would really like. thumbsup.gif

I would love to be able to incorporate "Wow" Virtual Waymarks (Historical, Earthcaches, etc) into the Pocket Querys I "order" from this site. :blink:

Of course, it would really be nice if we also got a "smilie" for finding the location and completing the logging requirement. :unsure:

Just because your finds on the cache dropped doesn't mean it was because it was a virtual.  It could be that everyone in your area already found it.

That could be true but I live in San Diego. There are a tad more than 20 cachers in the area! :unsure:

Well, if you only had 18 in the first year then maybe it was the location... :P

Just because your finds on the cache dropped doesn't mean it was because it was a virtual.  It could be that everyone in your area already found it.

That could be true but I live in San Diego. There are a tad more than 20 cachers in the area! :unsure:

18 in a year isn't bad for a hike up a 1700 foot mountain but 2 in two years is...

I might have to put another bread crumb up there. It could be the lack of nearby :)s that is hurting it too! :P

18 in a year isn't bad for a hike up a 1700 foot mountain but 2 in two years is...

I might have to put another bread crumb up there. It could be the lack of nearby :)s that is hurting it too! :P

You're even in North County, I might find some of your caches next trip out there (I'm from San Marcos)

You're even in North County, I might find some of your caches next trip out there (I'm from San Marcos)

Talk about small world! I just went out today and hit Black Mountain Summit and 10 other nearby caches! I was a great hike to do on a 60 degree day! B) I see you live in Colorado. My caching buddy, RocketMan just moved to Carlsbad to Denver last summer! He keeps sending us photos of the snow. Poor guy! :huh:

Anyhow, if you want some recommendations I have been keeping a favorites list as well as many others. There are some great caches popping up around here!

I also logged a few waymarks this morning. I found the library and 3 fountains. They were all near caches otherwise I never would have found them. Anyhow, I can't figure out how to make a category. I thought I'd manage one and see how it goes. I posted my idea on the Waymarking forum so we'll see if it gets shot down or not....

That could be true but I live in San Diego. There are a tad more than 20 cachers in the area! <_<

Well, if you only had 18 in the first year then maybe it was the location... :laughing:

I might have to put another bread crumb up there. It could be the lack of nearby :)s that is hurting it too! <_<

I see you live in Colorado. My caching buddy, RocketMan just moved to Carlsbad to Denver last summer! He keeps sending us photos of the snow. Poor guy! :unsure:

Hey, I just moved to Colorado this summer. (I'm only here for a year) and I met sax man while visiting his holidy lights display waymark. But you wanna talk about snow, I moved from northern michigan. I was there for the holidays and there was already over 100 inches!:ph34r:

That could be true but I live in San Diego. There are a tad more than 20 cachers in the area! <_<

Well, if you only had 18 in the first year then maybe it was the location... :laughing:

I might have to put another bread crumb up there. It could be the lack of nearby :)s that is hurting it too! <_<

I see you live in Colorado. My caching buddy, RocketMan just moved to Carlsbad to Denver last summer! He keeps sending us photos of the snow. Poor guy! :unsure:

Hey, I just moved to Colorado this summer. (I'm only here for a year) and I met sax man while visiting his holidy lights display waymark. But you wanna talk about snow, I moved from northern michigan. I was there for the holidays and there was already over 100 inches!:ph34r:

I lived in Northern Wisconsin for 7 years. We never got that much snow but it was wickedly cold in the winter!

Hey, I just moved to Colorado this summer. (I'm only here for a year) and I met sax man while visiting his holidy lights display waymark. But you wanna talk about snow, I moved from northern michigan. I was there for the holidays and there was already over 100 inches!:laughing:

Amateur! <_<

Try spending a winter in Northern Minnesota, about 40 miles south of International Falls. There was so much snow up there, all the time, that the commute from the small hotel I was living in to the mining company where I was consulting took about an hour each day. And it was less than 5 miles.

Hey, I just moved to Colorado this summer. (I'm only here for a year) and I met sax man while visiting his holidy lights display waymark.  But you wanna talk about snow, I moved from northern michigan.  I was there for the holidays and there was already over 100 inches!:laughing:

Amateur! <_<

Try spending a winter in Northern Minnesota, about 40 miles south of International Falls. There was so much snow up there, all the time, that the commute from the small hotel I was living in to the mining company where I was consulting took about an hour each day. And it was less than 5 miles.

Our winters up there have been quite lousy lately. We haven't even hit 300 inches in over a decade.

Hey, I just moved to Colorado this summer. (I'm only here for a year) and I met sax man while visiting his holidy lights display waymark.  But you wanna talk about snow, I moved from northern michigan.  I was there for the holidays and there was already over 100 inches!:laughing:

Amateur! <_<

Seeing the weather up there is the only thing that made me feel better about our weather! <_< Anyhow, I thought those guys up der hey rode snowmobiles! :unsure:

Hey, I just moved to Colorado this summer. (I'm only here for a year) and I met sax man while visiting his holidy lights display waymark.  But you wanna talk about snow, I moved from northern michigan.  I was there for the holidays and there was already over 100 inches!:(

Amateur! :tired:

Seeing the weather up there is the only thing that made me feel better about our weather! :blink: Anyhow, I thought those guys up der hey rode snowmobiles! :(

If I could have rented one in Duluth and rode it there, I prolly woulda, but I don't think there was a snowmobile counter at the airport :(

Hey, I just moved to Colorado this summer. (I'm only here for a year) and I met sax man while visiting his holidy lights display waymark.  But you wanna talk about snow, I moved from northern michigan.  I was there for the holidays and there was already over 100 inches!:)

Amateur! :(

Seeing the weather up there is the only thing that made me feel better about our weather! :( Anyhow, I thought those guys up der hey rode snowmobiles! :(

If I could have rented one in Duluth and rode it there, I prolly woulda, but I don't think there was a snowmobile counter at the airport :)

:tired:

I googled and found out that International Falls is one of the coldest places in the US outside Alaska!

The average annual temperature is 37.5degF.... :blink:

Edited by TrailGators
Hey, I just moved to Colorado this summer. (I'm only here for a year) and I met sax man while visiting his holidy lights display waymark.  But you wanna talk about snow, I moved from northern michigan.  I was there for the holidays and there was already over 100 inches!:D

Amateur! :P

Seeing the weather up there is the only thing that made me feel better about our weather! :P Anyhow, I thought those guys up der hey rode snowmobiles! :)

Ders plenty of snowmobiles in da UP. Too many in fact.

Hey, I just moved to Colorado this summer. (I'm only here for a year) and I met sax man while visiting his holidy lights display waymark.  But you wanna talk about snow, I moved from northern michigan.  I was there for the holidays and there was already over 100 inches!:D

Seeing the weather up there is the only thing that made me feel better about our weather! :) Anyhow, I thought those guys up der hey rode snowmobiles! :P

Makes winter caching a little tricky I bet! :D Do you guys use metal detectors? :D Anyhow, I've never been to da UP. But I've been up to nearby Mercer, WI visiting some friends several years ago. It's beautiful up there in the fall! CA is great but I do really miss the fall....

Hey, I just moved to Colorado this summer. (I'm only here for a year) and I met sax man while visiting his holidy lights display waymark.  But you wanna talk about snow, I moved from northern michigan.  I was there for the holidays and there was already over 100 inches!:P

Seeing the weather up there is the only thing that made me feel better about our weather! :) Anyhow, I thought those guys up der hey rode snowmobiles! :D

Makes winter caching a little tricky I bet! :D Do you guys use metal detectors? :D Anyhow, I've never been to da UP. But I've been up to nearby Mercer, WI visiting some friends several years ago. It's beautiful up there in the fall! CA is great but I do really miss the fall....

Snowshoe-metal detector-caching! Lots of fun. Yeah the fall aint so great in Colorado either. But it's been fun. I never had worn shorts in January before moving here. haha

Seeing the weather up there is the only thing that made me feel better about our weather! :P Anyhow, I thought those guys up der hey rode snowmobiles! :D

Makes winter caching a little tricky I bet! :D Do you guys use metal detectors? :) Anyhow, I've never been to da UP. But I've been up to nearby Mercer, WI visiting some friends several years ago. It's beautiful up there in the fall! CA is great but I do really miss the fall....

Snowshoe-metal detector-caching! Lots of fun. Yeah the fall aint so great in Colorado either. But it's been fun. I never had worn shorts in January before moving here. haha

Gotta love the weather here, but if you don't just wait 5 minutes :D

Amateur! :)

Seeing the weather up there is the only thing that made me feel better about our weather! :lol: Anyhow, I thought those guys up der hey rode snowmobiles! :D

Makes winter caching a little tricky I bet! :D Do you guys use metal detectors? :) Anyhow, I've never been to da UP. But I've been up to nearby Mercer, WI visiting some friends several years ago. It's beautiful up there in the fall! CA is great but I do really miss the fall....

Gotta love the weather here, but if you don't just wait 5 minutes :)

haha :D