Caching In Canada

Rainwater

I wouldn't worry too much. A lot of Michiganians cache over here and never have any problems that I've heard of. There's nothing illegal about geocaching in Canada :D

They've certainly heard about it at the border - I cross over regularly and if asked what I'm going to do I just say I'm going geocaching. Sometimes I have to explain what it is but usually they've heard of it (one of the local geocachers is an ex immigration officer). Last week I got into a debate about the merits of Garmins versus Magellans :D

Cops here shoot to kill geocachers. It's a highly illegal activity, and only the most extreme Canadians partake in the activity. If you do decide to risk life and limb for the ultimate hobby, I suggest bringing a good kevlar vest with you. It's saved my life innumerable times. Sure, it still smarts like hell taking a bullet to the chest, and you end up with a nasty welt and bruise, but far better than the alternative.

Edited by dogbreathcanada
Cops here shoot to kill geocachers. It's a highly illegal activity, and only the most extreme Canadians partake in the hobby. If you do decide to risk life and limb for the ultimate hobby, I suggest bringing a good kevlar vest with you. It's saved my life innumerable times. Sure, it still smarts like hell taking a bullet to the chest, and you end up with a nasty welt and bruise, but far better than the alternative.

dogsbreathcanada, if you keep pulling his leg like that, it's gonna come off!

Seriously, I've done most of the caches in the Toronto area. There are a number of good ones within walking distance of the subway system. A Monumental Quest has already been mentioned. It's a good way to spend a couple of hours, although it will be difficult to do when there's snow on the ground. A search centred on that cache will find many more caches in the Toronto area. My personal favorites are the ones on the Toronto Islands. The Islands are a great place to spend the day, but hard to get to in the off season. You mentioned that you were going to be near the city. If you can indicate where, I'm sure there will be many people willing to pop in and suggest the best caches for that area.

As for the police, I've yet to be stopped by any of the Toronto police. In an urban area, giving away the location of a cache to muggles is a much greater danger. Just act like you have every right to be doing what you're doing, and you'll pretty much be ignored. If you do get asked, just tell them you're geocaching, and be prepared to spend a few minutes explaining what geocaching is. I usually carry a few copies of this brochure to hand out to people. It makes the explainations much easier.

At any rate, welcome to the city. Remember, the primary goal for geocaching is to have fun. I hope you have lots of it while you're here.

I figured it would be like here in the States but I just wanted to check. I will actully be in Milton. Have a pocket query going as we speak. I just searched from a LAt and Long location. I wont have a lot of time in the evenings but I figure I could get a few easy ones in just so I can have them in my logs that I cached someplace else other then the States

Edited by Rainwater

Well, if you're looking for an easy cache, Old Mill Pond should do quite nicely. It's in a nice park that's hidden away in the centre of town. There are a number of other caches along the Bruce hiking trail just to the west of Milton. Be careful to read the descriptions though, many of them will involve a fair amount of hiking. The views from Niagara Escarpment - Mount Nemo Earthcache are well worth a visit. There's also a set of caches in the Kelso area. I haven't done those caches yet, but the area is spectacular. Just be prepared for some hill climbing.

I did some caching in the UK last summer with a group of locals and I've come to the conclusion that cachers are the same everywhere. That is to say a bunch of crackpots - just kidding! They are intelligent, enthusiastic, humourous technocrats with a love for achievement and of course the outdoors.

Cheers!

C-A

I was once approched by a cop in Laval (near Montreal, in Quebec). And it was the first time anyone would "catch me in the act" of geocaching.

I was nervous but, when he got to us, he asked me if I'd seen a young girl running around nearby.. we said no and he left us alone.

He didn't even ask about what we were doing or why we had GPSrs in our hands.. so, we didn't have to explain anything.

Sometimes, I guess, they do work and have better thing to do than check on us! (Of course, if it's in the middle of the night and you're bushwacking in some local park with maglites.. I guess they will have questions for you!) :)

But, if he had asked.. I would have explained Geocaching to him..

Hey this is Canada eh! All three officers in Halton (Milton) have already met their fair share of geocachers. Have a look at GCR2PZ. This guy watched me criss-cross the main street all night with a flashlight on my head. When he actually asked me what was going on he was more than helpful in locating a side street in town. Cops have the best gpsr's.

Your gonna love Milton and Halton offers some great caching.