Signature Items

Sundancergirl

I've found some cool printed signature pieces of other geocachers in caches: magnets, buttons, coins, etc.

I'm interested in getting something like that for myself, but in searching printing companies online, it seems most have minimum ordering requirements that would involve ordering hundreds of dollars worth at a time.

I'm interested in spending only fifty dollars or so--does anyone know of any lower cost printing places that might handle the needs of a new cacher?

I just got my geonickels TODAY. The art on them is wonderful (my avatar on one side and a GPS on the other) and they are a GREAT signature item. Cost me $35.00 total for 50 of them (included shipping.) I'm not sure I'm allowed to say where I got them from, but if you e-mail me, I will provide you the name of the company.

Doc

Being that my name is snowfoxrox, I play on the wording and make magnets. They are super easy to make-

*I cut out a pic of a fox (you could use any pic, I crop them to size on my computer and print them out 45 to a sheet),

*place it on a small round magnet (I get them at Wal-Mart 50ct for $5)

*I place a "flat marble" (round clear dab of glass with one flat side)on top of the pic. and hot glue it all togather. (I got the glue gun, glue sticks and "flat marbles" at my dollar store on their hobby aisle)

I call them snowfoxrocks and plan to make several "series" or ones with different fox pics, so they can be collectable. This way 50 of em cost me less than $20

just my 2 cents

~SFR~

Was thinking the same thing. Do a search on that "E" auction site. You can get a button maker for about 15 bucks. Supplies can be had at most craft stores. The Geonickels are a great idea, just Google wooden nickels I'm making custom paper "pogs'' for my team. I've also seen business cards and the like. It's really up to your imagination. Good luck!

My mom who is also a geocacher went to a local craft store and bought a bag full of wooden nickles for like 2.50 She also purchased a fine point wood burner pen. She adds diffrent stones, beads and other neat items she finds on one side with wood burned designs around them. She puts her sig and date on the back. She makes them into keychains. The neat thing about them is even if someone else makes wooden nickles, they would never look the same because everyone has their own creative mind.

Rykoala's wife

I've found some cool printed signature pieces of other geocachers in caches: magnets, buttons, coins, etc.

I'm interested in getting something like that for myself, but in searching printing companies online, it seems most have minimum ordering requirements that would involve ordering hundreds of dollars worth at a time.

I'm interested in spending only fifty dollars or so--does anyone know of any lower cost printing places that might handle the needs of a new cacher?

These are the buttons we use

f5371c93-675c-4a79-aa03-6902eb579521.jpg

They are made for use by Bumble buttons

The minimum order for 2 1/2 inch buttons is 6 and for 1 inch the mimimum order is 10. We just send the photo we want to use and she does the set up at no exrta charge. She ships very fast.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

We normally leave a business card and a green mini carabiner in each cache we find. Some time ago someone posted a link for a place where you could order 250 cards and just pay shipping so we did that. I then went to Ebay and found a guy selling mini carabiners. For some reason he was selling the green ones really, really cheap so I bought 250 or more of those. When the cards came in I used a hole punch to punch a hole in the corner of the card and we attach the card to the 'biner and drop item in the cache.

This forum has a bunch of creative ideas bouncin around! If any of y'all live in the norht DFW area, you might wanna' start looking out for some of my signature items within the next two months or so...I'm (obviously) new to geocaching, but you might wanna' look for a few caches that I might make too! Anyway, y'all have some great ideas here!!! :huh:

One of my favorite trades is for other cachers signature cards. I have noticed that lately there have not been very many in the caches that I have found. I hope this isn't a sign that others are tired of putting their cards into caches. That would be a shame.

It's likely due to the negative feedback here in the forums. Folks need to remember they only represent a tiny fraction of the geocaching world.

These are the buttons we use

f5371c93-675c-4a79-aa03-6902eb579521.jpg

They are made for use by Bumble buttons

The minimum order for 2 1/2 inch buttons is 6 and for 1 inch the mimimum order is 10. We just send the photo we want to use and she does the set up at no exrta charge. She ships very fast.

I didn't realize that Bumble Buttons made custom buttons. When I looked at their site they seemed to have pre-fab button styles that they sold. Do they do custom buttons in all sizes? If the price is reasonable I'd buy 50 - 100 buttons in the 1.25" size if I could have them be my own design.

Anyone know where's a good place to get custom signature composite poker chips printed cheaply? I am looking for gold ink and 2 seperate custom logos (one for each side).

I do printing for a living!!! I do promo products, t-shirts what have ya. If you interested in poker chips, let me know!!!!

I'm still new to this community, but thought of maybe giving some fellow cachers some deals on custom printed signature items. I can print on almost everything, poker chips, biners, coozies, pens, etc. If anyone's interested in anything, let me know. I got some good ideas for signature items for myself spinning in my head right now.

I've recently created my first set of sig items. Just created and printed out a business card type design and got it lamenated at a local shop that offered the service. I payed around eight dollars for four 8.5 by 11 sheet and sized it so ten fit on each.

With this setup I can get twenty or thirty made then change the design later if I want. :grin:

c4f87a88-028e-42fb-82bf-f47122ea660c.jpg

I'm planning on dropping some of my homemade flies in some caches near fish-rich areas... probably going to put half a dozen in a ziplock along with a note containing my email address and asking for reports on how they worked for the users...

I mainly fly fish the salt, but recently got into trout, so there's plenty of "target rich environments" nearby.

ETA: These drops would be in addition to SWAG. (I have to remember not everyone fishes, and gotta keep the kiddies in mind too!)

Edited by weakfish
I'm planning on dropping some of my homemade flies in some caches near fish-rich areas... probably going to put half a dozen in a ziplock along with a note containing my email address and asking for reports on how they worked for the users...

I mainly fly fish the salt, but recently got into trout, so there's plenty of "target rich environments" nearby.

ETA: These drops would be in addition to SWAG. (I have to remember not everyone fishes, and gotta keep the kiddies in mind too!)

Half a dozen hand-tied flies? Wow! I would think that for a fly fisherman that is a pretty nice item to find.

I saw a cool poker chip yesterday, thought that was pretty original.

Dang it! I'm working on my poker chip sig. items right now.. shoot. Was hoping I'd be the original, lol. Oh well. I plan to buy a sleeve of fairly nice chips (11.5g) Clay Composite, drill a small hole in them and attach a card or keychain of some form with my fiancee and I's nick and user pics.

Oh well, can't be first for everything <_<

Being so new I have not had a find, but my plan is...

There are free business cards you can order offline at many sites. I got signature cards ordered from there. I'm going to punch a hole and put a cufflink through the hole (either from the auction site or from estate sales for cheap)

I thought that was different <_<

We also heard at the bank last Saturday that the coin is being discontinued. Our local banks are apparently overloaded with them because no one uses them. So we picked up a bunch (well as many as we could afford <_< ) and the ladies there said that they wouldn't have them for much longer, but didn't say specifically when they go away. They are handy though when you're unsure if you're "trading up" enough! <_<

Right now my siggy item is a magnetic business card made on my computer, then I use some laminating paper to cover the front of it. then cut them out. the sheets are a solid sheet of magnet.

It works out pretty good and isn't too terribly expensive, now, I just have to remember to actually leave them in a cache.

Being that my name is snowfoxrox, I play on the wording and make magnets. They are super easy to make-

*I cut out a pic of a fox (you could use any pic, I crop them to size on my computer and print them out 45 to a sheet),

*place it on a small round magnet (I get them at Wal-Mart 50ct for $5)

*I place a "flat marble" (round clear dab of glass with one flat side)on top of the pic. and hot glue it all togather. (I got the glue gun, glue sticks and "flat marbles" at my dollar store on their hobby aisle)

I call them snowfoxrocks and plan to make several "series" or ones with different fox pics, so they can be collectable. This way 50 of em cost me less than $20

just my 2 cents

~SFR~

Thanks for posting how you do this, snowfoxrocks! I was about to ask you where you got them. They are neat!