Maritime Geocaching Association

The Lost Geeks

Just curious how many people that are upset over the price belong to the geocoinclub?

I don't know about the geocoin club, but I'm part of a geocoin club.

We only buy state or orgs coins (like this one sometimes) but will vote on ones that are borderline for any reason (price, affiliation, etc.).

If you bought the coins then you have no right to complain about the price.

The reason the prices keep going up is because everyone still buys them. :D

If people would refuse to buy the coins at a certain price and the coin makers didnt sell them then the price would drop.

I'm gonna pass on this one.

Just my 2 cents.

Coin inflation.  Soon they will be all $25.00  Mark my words. :D

Oh, you mean like the Conn... err, nevermind.

Go ahead and say it. Connecticut. Tho$e coin$ are $elling for way too much.

How about a reason for the $10 price of these coins? Are you just trying to get funds for your group? It looks like your back is the same stock die that dozens of other coins have used already, so I fail to see why the cost is that high. And no, I'm not whining, because I'm not buying any of these.

Coin inflation.  Soon they will be all $25.00  Mark my words. :D

How about a reason for the $10 price of these coins? Are you just trying to get funds for your group? It looks like your back is the same stock die that dozens of other coins have used already, so I fail to see why the cost is that high. And no, I'm not whining, because I'm not buying any of these.

I agree. There is nothing wrong with charging whatever the market will pay for a product. That's how a for-profit business runs (like the coinclub). I think most people are questioning a non-profit (I assume) organization charging that sort of price. if this is a fund raiser, so be it. I didn't know that the guidelines allowed the trackable coins to be sold at that sort of profit though?

(we are also assuming profit... I paid $5.50 per coin for 300 coins with 3 dies and 12 colors. This one does not look that complex, maybe your supplier is overcharging?)

Coin inflation.  Soon they will be all $25.00  Mark my words. :ph34r:

I agree. There is nothing wrong with charging whatever the market will pay for a product. That's how a for-profit business runs (like the coinclub). I think most people are questioning a non-profit (I assume) organization charging that sort of price. if this is a fund raiser, so be it. I didn't know that the guidelines allowed the trackable coins to be sold at that sort of profit though?

(we are also assuming profit... I paid $5.50 per coin for 300 coins with 3 dies and 12 colors. This one does not look that complex, maybe your supplier is overcharging?)

Wow.. That is an excellent price! These were more than that! I am assuming it is a U.S. price? (We have to add from 20% and up to that depending on the exchange rate!)

I know people are assuming we are making a big profit on the coins, if they only knew the all of the costs!

Edited by The Lost Geeks

For a coin that is so overpriced they sure did sell out in a hurry.

THey were open to Club members for about the 1st 2 weeks and sold well over 100 coins to us alone then hit this fourm and the reminder of the 500 coins sold out in much less than 24hrs.

Guess the price was not so bad after all. Sure there was a small margin of profit for the organization and for the folks that took the time, initiative and effort to develop the coin. My hat goes off to them for risking their own money not knowing if they would be stuck holding a couple thousand dollars worth of their own money invested in coins that would not sell.

I for one, am pleased with the coin and do not think it was over priced. All things considered. Remember 1st you have the cost of production and stamping the coin, Conversion from U.S. to Cdn funds, shipping and handling and the GC.COM fee for making them trackable. Not to mention the time, hassle and possibility of not being able to sell the.

I have no problem with them making a bit of green on this either. For those of you that do not know them, which I would say is everyone that is complaining about them. The Geeks are our Geocaching supply store here in Halifax The Three Geeks. Again they took a risk and invested their own money to provide us with Geocaching essentials from their home so we do not have to wait for most items in the mail. They have made it easy for us to get a TB or whatever else when we need it. They show up at events held in the Maritimes to provide their services and often donate hundreds of dollars of prizes to help make our events more successful.

Oh and remember before you start spouting off about the prices at their store. All prices are in CDN funds. Besides if you don't want to use them you do not have too. Keep the negativity to yourself.

My deepest thanks to The Lost Geeks for making all of this possible.

Edited by CasheKicker

Being on the 'Canadian' end of all the coin trades / purchases, I can tell you that $10 is the average cost of a coin coming out of the US. There have been times when an 'extra' cost is added to ship coins to Canada. Sometimes this is as much as $3.00 plus the already included shipping cost in the original price.

We already have to incur the exchange rate when considering a US purchase plus the 'extra' shipping which isn't really a huge 'extra' cost from what I have seen on the packages.

In the end it is your choice if you purchase a coin at the listed price even if you think it isn't worth it.

I don't think anyone complains to the grocery store when they buy a case of Coke vs the local generic name brand soda. You don't 'pass on this one' because the price was raised by a couple of $$.

From what I have seen, those of you that are passing on the coin have very extensive collections. I don't think that a couple of extra dollars is going to break the bank.

I too had some concerns about the higher cost of these coins and having to pay US prices and shipping when it is a local purchase.

I still have 2 on order.

That's my 2 cents with the exchange rate included. :ph34r:

Oh and remember before you start spouting off about the prices at their store. All prices are in CDN funds. Besides if you don't want to use them you do not have too. Keep the negativity to yourself.

Wow, that's a pretty negative comment for some comments that were about pricing and not about the person/team that made these.

This is a public forum and you're going to get feedback, solicited or not, when you post something in here.

Yes, many of us that passed on this coin do have extensive collections but that doesn't mean that we are willing to pay higher prices for coins (not sure of the point there).

In any case, some of us were providing feedback on what we we thought was a high priced coin. Nothing was said about anybody's character, etc.

Being on the 'Canadian' end of all the coin trades / purchases, I can tell you that $10 is the average cost of a coin coming out of the US. There have been times when an 'extra' cost is added to ship coins to Canada. Sometimes this is as much as $3.00 plus the already included shipping cost in the original price.

We already have to incur the exchange rate when considering a US purchase plus the 'extra' shipping which isn't really a huge 'extra' cost from what I have seen on the packages.

In the end it is your choice if you purchase a coin at the listed price even if you think it isn't worth it.

I don't think anyone complains to the grocery store when they buy a case of Coke vs the local generic name brand soda. You don't 'pass on this one' because the price was raised by a couple of $$.

From what I have seen, those of you that are passing on the coin have very extensive collections. I don't think that a couple of extra dollars is going to break the bank.

I too had some concerns about the higher cost of these coins and having to pay US prices and shipping when it is a local purchase.

I still have 2 on order.

That's my 2 cents with the exchange rate included. :ph34r:

Like the 3 Bubbas mention, we Canadians have to take into consideration 17 to 18 cents added to our dollar because of the exchange rate for the US dollar. On top of that there is a shipping rate of $2.50 to $3.00 US when we buy coins from the states.

So, just as an example. A coin that is sold $7.50 in the States ends up costing us in Canada $8.81 and that is before shipping is added to it.

I never posted anything negative about anyone involved in this coin.

I think the coin is too expensive - but it sold out, so it is just too expensive for people like me. So, are those in Canada having to pay $12CDN for this coin. I admire the team that made a coin for this price that sold out in 1 day.

I think I need a lesson in international currency exchange. I am not sure I understand why a coin made thru a US coin maker, but paid for by a Canadian customer then has to be sold into the US market for more than it would if the coins never crossed north of N49 00.000. (excepting the extra shipping charges of course)

I'll be quiet now. I have a $15 coin design I need to come up with :ph34r:

Wow.. That is an excellent price! These were more than that! I am assuming it is a U.S. price? (We have to add from 20% and up to that depending on the exchange rate!)

I know people are assuming we are making a big profit on the coins, if they only knew the all of the costs!

That answers my questions. I have no problem paying $10 for a coin that cost $10 to make (well, might only buy one anyway). I just would question a $5 coin selling for $10.

Thanks for responding.

Edited by workerofwood

Isn't this the pot calling the kettle black? Looks to me you are leading by example. :blink:

I also have not posted anything negative about the team that made this coin or the design.

I am just concerned that people are complaining about the increasing prices yet they are part of the reason prices are going up because they buy the coins.

I am just wondering how high prices will climb before people will smarten up and not buy coins that are priced too high.

I would like to thank everyone again for purchasing our coins!

We are excited to see our Maritime Geocaching Logo on the coin and to be able to share it with the world.

All invoices have been sent out and if you would like to be on the waiting list or have questions about your order please contact me through my geocaching profile or email me @ maritimegeocoins@gmail.com

I will post when the coins have arrived and when they start shipping which I expect to be the beginning of February.

I will be updating the web site http://geocache.webhop.org/coins with the shipping information as well.