Most Embarrasing Injury While Caching?

OK, having spent the last couple of days being laughed at, I think it is my turn.

What is the most embarrasing injury you have sustained while caching?

I'm sure I can't be the only person to do something like this :blink::unsure: (log from 6th January)

Thanks in anticipation ;)

Edited by tonycollins
OK, having spent the last couple of days being laughed at, I think it is my turn.

I'm sure I can't be the only person to do something like this :blink::unsure: (log from 6th January)

Thanks in anticipation ;)

What a bummer :P

I have had the odd nettle sting and thorn but thankfully nothing quite so painfull. ;)

I managed to get a puncture wound with blood while waiting for the ferry to last years Lundy event. Hopped over a spiked fence to fetch the kids but slipped with the spike between my legs :D . A strategically placed plaster sorted it though. :D

Pete

I did rip a huge hole in my combats while setting a cache, but I was in the middle of nowhere and I was able to get back to my car ok. The low point was I had to walk through a churchyard with my butTock hanging out, hoping not to be seen...

In terms of actual personal physical damage, I've got off quite lightly. Rather stiff after climbing Ben Nevis caching last summer, a few scratches from thorns... oh, and grazes and nettle rash while doing '2 utilities perhaps' in 2004 with Dan 'Rocky' Wilson. I slipped and fell in the river, bouncing off concrete on the way down. The only serious damage done was to my pride, my main worry being my digital camera, mobile and GPS that all ended up in the river with me. I can report nettles stinging fresh graze will have your arm throbbing all night long though.

People, be careful out there. It's a tough world and the path to many caches can be a rough one. Or, more usually, muddy.

Not exactly an Injury (Unless you count my pride) ;) But as for embarrasing....

Whilst on holiday in Cornwall last year I could not wait to go caching and as my closest cache was only a 10 minute walk from the camp site I just had to go for it.

As I'm sure most of us have done at one time or another I decided to take the most direct route. Only to end up knee deep in mud. As I tried to pull my legs out my shoe came off and so ended up having to put my arm in too to find my shoe.

After this I gave up and went back to the camp site looking half like the swamp monster.. :) As I had set off on foot I had to walk past everyone else on the camp and as it was my first day of the holiday. I had to put up with the grins for a whole 2 weeks.

The icing on the cake though. When I went back to finish off the cache (refusing to be beaten) I found that if I had walked only another 50 yards there was a public footpath which took me straight to the cache :ph34r:

EMBARRASING or what ?????????

Alibags and I were caching at night [GCFA75], just after a long downpour. I was climbing first over a style which turned out to be slimy. My boots lost their grip and I fell, literally doing the splits with the main cross bar going.....you know where :blink: Alibags was masterful at turning her snigger into a look of concern. Had a terrific bruise the size of a dinner plate for a week. Not long after Alibags ended up doing the same at another cache. Heh heh heh....

I actually thought I was going to die today - while caching... B)<_<:ph34r:

We were heading down the River Eden looking for this cache when we encountered our 6 or 7th set of rapids. Well, I completely lost control of the canoe, wedged it up against some rocks and simply fell out! I travelled about 100 yards down stream with my wellies dragging me under, while I gasped and fought for breath floundering around in the freezing water. I eventually fetched up against a rock in the shallows and was helped into another boat by my mate...

I lost one of my wellies and I lost interest in finding the cache at the same time.B)

Thank God for bouyancy aids.... B)

Edited by The Golem
Alibags and I were caching at night [GCFA75], just after a long downpour. I was climbing first over a style which turned out to be slimy. My boots lost their grip and I fell, literally doing the splits with the main cross bar going.....you know where  :huh:  Alibags was masterful at turning her snigger into a look of concern. Had a terrific bruise the size of a dinner plate for a week. Not long after Alibags ended up doing the same at another cache. Heh heh heh....

That kind of injury seems to be very common. Here's another one from a couple of days ago. Luckily, no lasting damage :(

My worst injury was the result of slipping on wet leavesdown a steep flight of steps and landing on my back. Thought I would never walk again. Couldn't bend over to retrieve the cache, so had to abandon it for a few days. :(

Edited by Firth of Forth

Ah well, not very impressive in the bruise stakes here, but here is my log. Actually, that could be added to the waste of time thread just as easily. BTW, the cache is also notable for other injuries sustained by my caching companion on the same trip! :huh:

oh, and p.s. I cannot recommend the palliative use of arnica on bruises too enthusiastically. Mine was large and colourful, but did not toruble me after I slapped the old arnica on.

Edited by Alibags
My worst injury was the result of slipping on wet leaves down a steep flight of steps and landing on my back. Thought I would never walk again. Couldn't bend over to retrieve the cache, so had to abandon it for a few days. 

Oddly enough something similar happened to me just before Christmas while returning from GCR390. Mind you, it may be partly my fault as I was wearing worn out old walking boots. I was very carefully making my way back down a steep and very muddy footpath when a spike from a nearby plant caught me sufficiently enough to tip me over and I slid down the hill like a giant over-sized toboggan racer. When I walked back through the village covered head to toe in mud the local elderly ladies took one look at me and quickly scampered back up their garden paths and slammed the doors :huh: