Long And Lat

jjefferson

I am just getting started. I understand about how to use the GPS and what the Long and Lats are, but so many of the Long and lat numbers that are posted for the caches are over 60 seconds. for example: W 42 29 586 N070 58 669 the west numbers are right but as you can see the North in numbers the munites are right, but the seconds are over 60. you can not enter this number into a GPS. I have found a lot of the caches that are posted on the web site are this way.

I am just getting started. I understand about how to use the GPS and what the Long and Lats are, but so many of the Long and lat numbers that are posted for the caches are over 60 seconds. for example: W 42 29 586 N070 58 669 the west numbers are right but as you can see the North in numbers the munites are right, but the seconds are over 60. you can not enter this number into a GPS. I have found a lot of the caches that are posted on the web site are this way.

The coordinates on this site are in degrees and decimal minutes rather than degrees-minutes-seconds. Your example coordiantes are actually W42 degrees, 29.586 minutes by N70 degrees, 58.669 minutes

What you are seeing is decimal minutes, not minutes and seconds.

ie Ndd mm.mmm, not Ndd mm ss

Just be sure to set your GPSr to match the format of the coordinates at hand, and you'll be fine.

Moe beat me to it.... :unsure:

Edited by zardoz12