Putting Back The Log Book:

For the first two years of caching, I don't believe I saw any log books that were left open to the page that the last cacher signed; however, lately I have seen quite a few being left that way. I always close the logbook (except for that one a few days ago I think I might have left open to the page I signed because it was that way when I found it).

But I was just interested to see other people's thoughts on a very mundane subject.

Let me get the discussion started:

Does it preserve the logbook's life being closed?

Is a cacher less likely to read other logs if the book is left open to the page to sign?

What are some pros and cons for each side of the argument?

Might it save paper if a cacher is prompted to the next page to sign rather then have to search and possibly sign the wrong page?

Leaving it open will assist the next cacher in getting to the next spot (so they don't have to search for the next clean page.

Closing it would help give some people warm fuzzies about openning the log book, reading the log entries, and then signing it at the next spot.

So, I tend to close it if its a new book (2-3 pages used). And I leave it open if I (would have) had to search for the next available spot. When I find a book open to the next clean spot, I do tend to read back a few pages to see who's been there recently.

Depends on the cache for me. If I feel hurried at the cache site, I wish the log book was opened to the free page, so I could get in and get out (read cemetery sites) if out in the woods, doesn't matter to me how many pages I have to flip through.

Does it preserve the logbook's life being closed? YES

Is a cacher less likely to read other logs if the book is left open to the page to sign? DON'T KNOW

What are some pros and cons for each side of the argument? YES, THERE ARE :unsure:

Might it save paper if a cacher is prompted to the next page to sign rather then have to search and possibly sign the wrong page? YES

Funny ... I was wondering the exact same thing today. I put the log book back in the zip lock bag today and then noticed it was opened to my page. So, I dug it out and shut it, thinking that I couldn't leave it open. Why not? Who knows, just didn't seem right. But maybe that's because I found it.

The log book often has information on the cover like the name of the cache or a message like "Do Not Remove," etc.. Closing the book may help with muggles or newbies.

I've visited a cache that had two notepads in it - one was the official log book, the other, who knows, but there were log entries in both. I say close the book.

But I was just interested to see other people's thoughts on a very mundane subject.

Let me get the discussion started:

Is a cacher less likely to read other logs if the book is left open to the page to sign?

Might it save paper if a cacher is prompted to the next page to sign rather then have to search and possibly sign the wrong page?

Wow, sounds like someone has some serious spare time! :D

1) Doesn't make any difference. Long before the log book would normally wear out some idiot won't close the cache container properly and water destroys the log entirely. :)

2) Again, doesn't make a difference. 98% of the cachers won't take the time to read the log book, as they're too much in a hurry to get to the next cache. :ph34r:

3) Who would argue over something as trivial as this? ;)

4) Doesn't matter -- refer to #1.

Whether the life of the log book is preserved by being closed depends on the type of log book and the quality.

With spiral binders, especially the low quality ones, the repeated opening and individual page turning, closing them seems to have a detrimental effect on them.

For glue bound log books it closing it seems to help it some but we often find many loose pages in the cache.

For stitch bound log books definitely close them.

It depends on the cacher, not whether it's open or closed.

To leave the log book open guides the next cacher to the next clean space (hopefully) , helping to keep the logs in chronological order. Based on our caches, it doesn't seem to help either way as log entries are disorganized, we find that some cachers don't like to use the back of a page, especially if the pages flip up.

Yes.

Seemingly trivial, but we have pondered this topic also on the caches we find, we make the decision based on the type of log book, how we found it, and its condition.

I usually leave it like I found it. But i always read the log. You really get a feel for the people who had been there. You can read the logs on the web, but they are not the same. By just signing the log and running off to the next cache you lose out on the whole experience of caching. I know I won't change some peoples minds about slowing down and enjoying the cache but maybe someone will see this and remember when they got started and how fun it was.

I usually leave it like I found it. But i always read the log. You really get a feel for the people who had been there.

You're assuming, of course, that 1) the cache has a log BOOK, rather than a half inch wide log SHEET like many micros have, and that 2) the cache experience was interesting enough that others actually wrote something other than TNLNSL TFTC.

One of my goals as a hider is to make sure there's a BOOK to sign and a REASON for people to write something. Usually I'm not disappointed. :blink: I do enjoy reading log books after walking a couple miles to score a find though. At that point, you need a rest anyway, so might as well read the log.

(Now back to our regularly scheduled topic)

Whether I leave it open or closed, I'm not really sure... never considered it something worth worrying about. But I do make sure to close the cache up tight so it stays dry and legible for the next customer. :blink:

Edited by DocDiTTo

I always close. When I do sign I'll flip through the log and look at the last few signatures. If there's room on the page I'll add my normal sig which looks like this:

1/9/2006 0850

Zack and Donna Jones or just Zack Jones if I'm caching alone

Warner Robins, GA

I save additional comments for the online log.

As a fairly new addict to this hobby, I've found myself several times sitting on damp leaves reading every page of a log book. Dunno why, guess just trying to get other finders experience on the particular cache I'm at.

Most have been closed when I found them so that's the way I left them.

If it is a highly new and activie cache I tend to leave the log book open casue a lot of people in a short time will be coming to sign the log.

As for older less visited caches I close it

If the cache is in a high traffic area like some ammo cans in Fl I would leave it open that way you have less time looking odd in a parking lot then you would having to flip through and try to find the next blank spot to sign

Yet another insightful Geocaching Topics thread.

I like to glue all the pages together before returning the logbook to the cache.

What I really hate is when the lid slids off the pins of the ammocan when I'm trying to close it.

Hey! This kind of stuff happens to almost everybody.

Edited by BlueDeuce