Caches At Official Historic Sites

freedomwrangler

Keep in mind that many places of interest already have caches nearby. A quick search will often amaze you.

Also, placement of caches in areas that might be compromised by cachers hunting for the cache is a bad idea and often prohibited by both the rules of the game and the trespassing, littering, and vandalism laws of the area.

Merchants expecting 20,000 people for a local covered bridge festival are unlikely to be impressed with your offer of an additional 10-20 cachers seeking a fake birdhouse.

As always, PLEASE keep in mind the prohibition of placing caches on private property without the property owners explicit consent. This can often lead to unwanted controversy.

Check out the game, go find some caches, read the guideliines carefully.

Try to remember that, to outsiders, our game is nothing more than a form of littering.

Edited by Torry

I agree with the advise you have been give....and would add that when you do go to talk with the representative about placement, it will help if you can show them that you have been active in the geocaching community.

That means finding some caches and logging them online, going to some events and meeting other cachers, etc. Finding caches helps you think of better ways to create and maintain caches--that is especially important with historical sites where you really want to provide a quality cache and leave everyone with a good impression of geocaching. You will likely meet cachers at events that have resources that will help you with your request (brochures, powerpoints, the names of the right people to contact for that spot, etc).

Just noticed that I spelled "advice" wrong in my last note....

but...

I looked up the code today, and if the place that you want to put a geocache is an official historical site, managed by the DNR, the answer is "You can't"

DNR policy on geocaching

4. General Prohibitions, Limitations, and Requirements

The following prohibitions apply to the placement of any cache and to any geocaching activity:

(1) A person must not violate 312 IAC 8 or another state or a federal law.

(2) Properties administered in whole or in part by the following divisions of the department do not qualify for geocaching:

A) Division of nature preserves (including any property dedicated under IC 14-31-1).

B) Division of museums and historic sites.

C) Division of outdoor recreation.

Not so quick.....

The DNR information that was posted above is for the state of Indiana. I don't remember hearing what state "freedomwrangler" was from, but different states have different rules. I know for fact that you can place geocaches on DNR governed land in Illinois and Iowa if you get approval from the land manager and fill out the correct paperwork.

Also, just because it is a historical site, does not necessarily mean that it is governed by the DNR. There are lots of historical sites maintained by county, city, and local historical groups. Many of these groups would gladly welcome the added interest brought to the area from people coming to search for geocaches. Because it is a historical site, however, you should obtain permission from the governing bodies to insure that there won't be a negative environmental, degragation, overuse, etc. impact from the additional traffic of cachers.

In the days of virtual caches, this was much more simple since no permission was required because no actual container was hidden.

medoug.

Edited by medoug

Also, just because it is a historical site, does not necessarily mean that it is governed by the DNR.

medoug is correct for IL.

Actually official "historical sites" are controlled by the IL Historic Preservation Agency which is a completely different agency than DNR. IHPA controls sites like Lincoln's New Salem State Historical Site and Campground. DNR controls state parks. New Salem looks like a state park and some DNR sites, like Lincoln Trail Homestead State Park, look like they could be historical sites. Why the confusion? Who knows, it's IL.

I live in MI. I checked our DNR website and there's different requirements between parks controlled by the DNR. I think it's a matter of contacting the site and explaining, then doing the necessary leg work to receive an O.K. through whichever governming body decides these issues.

As I haven't found any caches yet, I'll find first then place some swag when I figure this 'caching' thing out.